Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Jan Hammer - "Miami Vice Theme" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 October 2015 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Time for another parent album that I noticed is currently MISSING from the on-line database. Okay, in this case, it would qualify more as a "secondary" parent album, similar to Bonnie Tyler's Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire w/ "Holding Out for a Hero" (originally off the O.S.T. to Footloose) or James Brown's Gravity w/ "Living in America" (originally off the O.S.T. to Rocky IV). All 35 CDs w/ this song currently shown in the db are V/A compilations. And yes, the original parent album for the "Miami Vice Theme" was of course Music from the Television Series Miami Vice on MCA 6150, released in September of '85, which Pat already has listed. However, when Hammer came out w/ his next solo album more than two years later, in December of '87, the song was also included. It's titled Escape from Television, on MCA MCAD-42103. I just found a used copy myself earlier this week while out on my record-store travels, so if Pat wishes to add it immediately, I can report that "Miami Vice Theme" has an actual time of (2:26) on this CD (i.e., it's the usual 45/LP version). The album also includes his early 1988 A/C charter, "Crockett's Theme", again from the "Miami Vice" TV series (but not on the 1985 soundtrack). Page on Discogs: JAN HAMMER - "Escape from Television" (U.S. CD) As an aside, Escape from Television is still readily available on CD as a U.K. import w/ two bonus tracks (15 total), but the 13-track U.S. edition on MCA 42103 (like I just picked up) is long out-of-print, and apparently somewhat tough to find today...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 June 2024 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Just some trivia for the collectors...

The pilot episode used a 1:42 version with no lead guitar. A percussion segment for the next scene is overdubbed near the end and continues to play after the main theme fades out.

The next few episodes use a 1-minute edit of that mix, mastered in mono or false stereo, and with a poorly timed abrupt edit near the end.

Starting with the 6th episode (keeping in mind that the pilot was considered to be 2 episodes), there is a different 1-minute version, this time with lead guitar included and with the final edit better timed. However, for the remainder of season 1, it is still mastered in false or just really out of phase stereo. In season 2 and beyond, it is mastered correctly.

The commercially released Original a.k.a. T.V. version found on the 45, 12", and various albums is almost the same as that final version used on TV, but it actually never aired in the series, as far as I know. The very first drum sound is also different somehow, with a lot more "tone" to it. The intro has more reverb, and the gated rhythm guitar (which is loud & clear in the show) is low in the mix and panned differently. (There are two rhythm guitars going at the same time. The gated one sounds "glitchy", almost like there's a bad connection, but the effect is intentional.)

As for "Crockett's Theme", beware that the version on Escape from Television is the single version, which is not the same mix as the Miami Vice II album version, although they are quite similar.

Edited by mjb50 on 10 June 2024 at 7:19am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version