Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The Best Of Margo Smith Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
VintageVarese
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 September 2015 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote VintageVarese

The Best of Margo Smith

UPC:030206734683
Release Date: 08/28/2015
https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/the-best-of-margo-s mith

Margo Smith, who was born on April 9, 1942, was raised by her aunt and uncle on a farm in the Urbana—Springfield area of northwestern Ohio. Although they weren't well off financially, they provided Margo with a happy childhood by treating her as one of their own children. When Margo was six she was given a pony of her own and, having discovered that she could yodel, she would often ride to a quiet area on the farm where she would practice her singing and yodeling. From an early age she hoped for a career as a country music singer, but realizing she'd have to support herself, she took advantage of a college scholarship which led to her becoming a kindergarten teacher. It was during the three years that she taught school that she began writing songs to help entertain the children.

In 1971, at the age of 29, Margo decided it was time to see if she could make a place for herself in country music so she moved to Nashville. Things went slowly for the first few years but Margo was always able to livened up her performances by showcasing her yodeling ability. Early in 1975 Margo signed with 20th Century Records and at her first session she recorded "There I've Said It," her first hit, which reached number eight on the country charts. Two more hits followed but at that point her record company shut down its country music division leaving Margo with three hits but without a recording contract. Fortunately she was contacted by Al Gallico, one of the most successful country music publishers of the '60's and '70's. Gallico helped her land a contract with Warner Bros. Records and very quickly Margo was back in the studios recording "Save All Your Kisses For Me" which became a number 10 hit. During her five years with Warner Bros., Margo had 17 hits including 7 top ten records, two of which, "Don't Break The Heart That Loves You" and "It Only Hurts For A Little While," were number one hits.

Although her hit-making career started a bit later than usual for most singers, Margo managed to successfully handle her career, raise her children and maintain her strong religious faith. Late in the '80s Margo's daughter Holly brought her attention to the increasing popularity of contemporary Christian music which led to their forming a mother and daughter singing duo. Billed as Margo Smith and Holly, they enjoyed considerable popularity at their personal appearances and with the two albums they recorded before Holly's marriage.

Since that time Margo has been taking life easier. She and her husband split their time between their homes in Florida and in Nashville. She still makes some personal appearances, primarily close to her Florida home, where she is active in civic and church activities. Although the diminutive farm girl from Ohio took a circuitous route to country music success she managed to get the most out of life: a happy home life and a successful career. And she still loves to yodel.

1. Save Your Kisses For Me
2. Take My Breath Away
3. Love’s Explosion
4. My Weakness
5. Don’t Break The Heart That Loves You
6. It Only Hurts For A Little While
7. Little Things Mean A Lot
8. Still A Woman
9. If I Give My Heart To You
10. Baby My Baby
11. The Shuffle Song
12. My Guy
13. Cup Of Tea • Rex Allen Jr. & Margo Smith
14. While The Feeling’s Good • Rex Allen Jr. & Margo Smith
Back to Top View VintageVarese's Profile Search for other posts by VintageVarese

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version