Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: montell jordan "this is how we do it" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 April 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

my full length cd of "this is how we do it" contains as
track three the song "this is how we do it" which runs 3:56
and is identical to the version that is on the commercial
cassingle issued as PMP/RAL 851468..........the database
says that there is 0:40 of coda.........is it possible that
there are 2 versions of this cd.........or is it that the
0:40 coda is really from track 2 that lapse into track
3........anyone?

Edited by edtop40 on 19 March 2022 at 5:47am

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

never mind.........the coda is AFTER the track not before.....sorry...

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

What I've always wondered about this song is that several radio stations have played a version that has a completely different vocal take. I've never been able to figure out where this comes from. The background track is the same, and I believe it's a version without rap (if my memory serves me right). Montell sings kind of off key in this version, but it's not live. I'm wondering if early DJ copies had this mix, and then he resung it to improve his vocals for the final LP mix.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I do have a promo CD for that song with both a rapless version (called Radio Edit, running an actual 3:38, and called Radio Mix on the import), plus the LP Version, but both sound to me to be the same vocal take that is on the commercial single.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 April 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, I used to play that promo single on the air, and it's the same vocal take as the album. There's another version floating around somewhere.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

There is another promo CD that has an alternate lead vocal to the one that appears on the LP and single. I don't have it in front of me to give the exact catalog number but I did get copy back in '95.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 April 2006 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Jeff. Any other info on this mix? Was it an earlier issue? I never liked it, because he was singing off-key in several parts of the song.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Hi Aaron. Yes I do think the version that slipped out on that promo CD single, might have been an earlier vocal take that shouldn't have been released. The commercial CD, cassette single, and 12" did not have this version.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Revisiting this, my version from RPM Top Hits USA runs 3:32, whereas the 45 version runs about 25 seconds longer.
Was the RPM version the same as Jeff H's promo CD single?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My only promo CD single for this, (PRCD 6912-2), on the front of the disc itself, states only one track, the (LP Version - 3:59). However, a sticker on the front of my jewel case says, "(PRCD 6912-2) Montell Jordan-This Is How We Do It, contains 1-Radio Edit (listed 3:34; actual 3:38), and 2-LP Version (listed 3:52; actual 3:57)". (I added the actual timings.) This promo CD single does, in fact, have the two tracks stated on the sticker, in what appears to have been a simple promo CD single production error.

Edited by jimct on 05 December 2007 at 8:36pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 April 2009 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I recently obtained the same promo CD that Jim mentioned (PRCD 6912-2). This is the one with the earlier, alternate vocal take. Like Jim's, the back insert and disc itself just state "LP version"; however, there is a sticker on the front of the case indicating there are two tracks, the first one being a "Radio Edit."

The station I worked for received a different promo CD, and it didn't have inserts nor a sticker on the front of the case. That copy also did not mention that there were two tracks. I don't recall if it even listed a version, or if it just said "LP Version," like the copy I have.

Brian, when you get a chance, can you check your promo CD that has the same vocal take as the commercial CD single and LP version? The matrix number on mine is "PRC D69 122 02%".

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 June 2009 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Bringing this back to the top to see if anyone can supply info on the promo CD that matches the LP vocal take. By the way, there is a copy of the promo CD listed on eBay right now that has the earlier, non-LP vocal take. The seller is cdteria.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Mystery finally solved on this one. There are two promo CD singles with identical catalog numbers and track listings. One comes with front and back artwork, and the other does not. One has the alternate vocal take, and the other has the LP vocal take.

PRCD 6912-2
Matrix: PRC D69 122 02%
Notes: This is the version with the alternate vocal take. It comes with front and back inserts, as well as a sticker on the front listing the correct track list. The disc and insert incorrectly list only one track, "(LP Version) 3:59". The track list, as printed on the sticker, is:
1. Radio Edit (listed & actual 3:34)
2. LP Version (listed 3:52; actual 3:54)

PRCD 6912-2
Matrix: PRC D69 122 03!
Notes: This disc contains the LP vocal take and does not come with inserts. It only has the sticker on the front of the jewel case with the track listing. The disc itself incorrectly lists "(LP Version) 3:59".
1. Radio Edit (listed 3:34; actual 3:38)
2. LP Version (listed 3:52; actual 3:57)

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks to the information supplied by Jim and Aaron, the database consists of nicely detailed promo CD single info for Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It". I thought I'd also pass along that cassette single copies contain the "LP Version" and have an actual run time of 3:55, not 3:59 as stated on the label. (Thanks once again to Ed for assisting with this!)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2014 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

aaronk wrote:
What I've always wondered about this song is that several radio stations have played a version that has a completely different vocal take. I've never been able to figure out where this comes from. The background track is the same, and I believe it's a version without rap (if my memory serves me right). Montell sings kind of off key in this version, but it's not live. I'm wondering if early DJ copies had this mix, and then he resung it to improve his vocals for the final LP mix.

aaronk:

Eight years on, but I just wanted to give a belated "thank you" for originally bringing up the topic of the initial (off-key) vocal take of this song, and then aggressively sorting out its origins in such detail (after the assist from Jeff H.)! This was one of my all-time favorites from the '90s (along w/ his later hit, "Get it On...Tonite"), and I admit I was previously unaware of the alternate vocal version. I bought the commercial 4-track CD maxi-single (PMP/RAL 422 851 469-2) back in '95, and that's been my go-to CD for the song ever since. :-) Over the past eight years, I've been checking eBay off & on for a first pressing of PRCD 6912-2, as I know it doesn't turn up often, and a couple times I realized I'd just missed out on a copy, as they'd already sold a few weeks before. :-( Then about three weeks ago (July 30), MJ's "Unsung" episode premiered on TV One, and that spurred me to check eBay again - and this time, I FINALLY nabbed one! It arrived about a week ago, and of course I'd never heard the original vocal version before - very interesting! I agree it's not as good, though, so I'm glad they had him re-do it at the time. No mention of having to do the re-take on "Unsung", but in case you haven't already seen it, you can watch the entire 35-minute episode (uninterrupted) here: Montell Jordan - "Unsung" (full episode) A shame he ended up having to sell the rights to his entire catalog a few years ago - didn't know about that, either! :-(
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 June 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I recently obtained a very rare promo CD single for "This Is How We Do It," which does not have a catalog number. It is a factory pressed CD on RAL/PMP Records (Def Jam), though, with the following tracks:

1. Studio Ton Radio Remix (actual 3:42)
2. Puff Daddy Radio Remix (actual 4:23)

The matrix number is MJ-1 <01>.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 June 2015 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

aaronk wrote:
I recently obtained a very rare promo CD single for "This Is How We Do It," which does not have a catalog number. It is a factory pressed CD on RAL/PMP Records (Def Jam), though, with the following tracks:

1. Studio Ton Radio Remix (actual 3:42)
2. Puff Daddy Radio Remix (actual 4:23)

The matrix number is MJ-1 <01>.

While this latest promo CD single that you've found may indeed be the rarest yet for this particular song, aaron, I assume its contents are identical in every way to tracks 4 & 6 (respectively) on the not-so-rare 1995 commercial U.S. CD maxi-single for his follow-up hit, "Somethin' 4 da Honeyz" (PMP/RAL 422 856 963-2)??? Used copy on eBay, w/ several photos: MONTELL JORDAN - "Somethin' 4 da Honeyz" (commercial U.S. CD maxi-single)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 June 2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Great observation! Yes, I would assume they are the exact same on
both discs, and I had completely forgotten about those remixes
appearing on "Somethin' 4 Da Honeyz."

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 June 2015 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

*re-christens self as "90smusicfreak"* :-)

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 June 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

To create the 3:38 radio edit using the 45 version:

Keep 00.00 - 2:42.666
Remove 2:42.666-3:01.189
Keep 3:01.189 to the end of the track

Your file runs 3:38.

Edited by eriejwg on 15 June 2015 at 11:17am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version