Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Disappointing Singles? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 April 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

My thoughts about the TM Century edit of "November Rain" kinda sparked this thread idea. Since most of us collect singles (although mine primarily aren't on vinyl), I'm sure we've had some in our collections in which we felt (whether at the time or thinking about it well after the fact) that a better job could've been done fashioning the 45 out of the LP version.

For me--the first time I heard the single version of the Allman Brothers Band's "Jessica," I was disappointed. With the exception of one edit during the bridge from the guitar passages to the piano solo, it essentially is Part 1 of the LP version. While I'm not sure how I would've mapped it out, I would've liked an edit that contained at least some of the guitar work at the end of the LP version.

Anybody have some other 45 versions that they think could have been improved upon? Grant had mentioned doing a more streamlined take on "Closer To Home," to use another example. There must be others.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

I would have to say that the worst hatchet job ever done to a song to
make it onto a 45 is Kiss' "Detroit Rock City." It's as if the engineer
cut the song up into several pieces, dropped them on the floor, and
put them back together without looking. Since the song isn't that
long, they should've just put the LP version on the single.
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2006 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I was disappointed with the Earth, Wind & Fire 45 of "That's The Way Of The World". Before I could find the true edit (just over 3:00), I took a stab at it myself for my station, including both verses and cutting the instrumental solos.

Then, last week, I heard the actual 45 mix (which as mine does, cuts the intro and interlude after the first verse), and I was surprised that it cut the second verse but kept the guitar solo. I still like mine better. I'll share if anyone wants - email me -

Edited by eric_a on 16 April 2006 at 11:53pm
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

1) On Billy Joel's "My Life", it has a sloppy edit near the end, which we've talked about here before -- but I specifically don't like that it edits out the piano solo near the end, which I think many people have become accustomed to hearing on the radio during the CD era. So I took the 45 edit from "Greatest Hits" and inserted the piano break back in. Still shorter than the LP version, for me this is the "ideal single edit"! :)

2) On Bee Gees' "Nights On Broadway" I don't like the soft bridge being edited out on the dj 45. Still, I preferred a shorter version than the LP version. So I kind of combined the 2 approaches. I took the long version and made it like the dj edit with the exception of deleting the bridge. In other words, I did the one other edit, I sped up the song accordingly, and I did the same early fade as the dj 45.

3) REO Speedwagon - "Take It on the Run". I didn't have the single of this song, so I recently took a guess as to what it would be (I did my own edit) and was wrong. When I finally saw what they did for the edit, I personally didn't like it. I edited the long guitar solo in half but kept Chor 3 & 4 intact. They edited out one of the last two choruses but kept the long guitar solo. Both versions clock in at the same time. Everyone has their own tastes, I know, but I like the chorus so much more than the guitar solo, that I'd rather hear a shortened guitar solo than miss a whole chorus.

On a similar topic, I've also made my own customized edits when a long song never had a single edit! For instance, while Roberta Flack's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" has a single edit, I was surprised to see there was none (and not even a dj edit) for "Killing Me Softly" which clocks in at 4:45, which was long for a single back in '72. So I did my own edit that clocked in around 4:10 if I recall. (I've done this for about a dozen songs. In a couple cases, I did this to long album cuts that were never singles. I made what I thought would be a nice single edit, had the record company ever picked these 7 minute songs as singles!)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

EdisonLite, there was a DJ 45 short version on "Killing Me Softly With His Song." Both the mono and stereo sides list a running time of (4:13), but are actually (4:18). As I recall, it is simply an early fade, so I'm sure your thoughtful custom edit (which also happens to be in the 4:10-ish range) is FAR better. This fade was the only one I heard on radio in '73. From my years in the biz, top gold usually gave way to a reprint oldies 45 or a Best Of LP version cart dub after a year or two (which means the 4:46 version.) This tends to muddy the memory of what we heard as currents. BTW, I had my digital-wizard-buddy do the same thing as you, for both "Back Home Again" and "Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Again."
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting -- because I just checked my custom edit of "Killing Me Softly" and it clocks in at 4:18! Surprising that theirs is 4:18 but an early fade, whereas I edited out one chorus (in a rather tricky, but unnoticeable spot).
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Archives Guy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2022 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Archives Guy

Does anybody have the edits/fade on the dj version of Nights
On Broadway? Thanks in advance!
Back to Top View Archives Guy's Profile Search for other posts by Archives Guy

ChicagoBill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2022 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote ChicagoBill

I think my most 'Disappointing Single' was "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by Crosby, Stills & Nash.
What a hack job! -Bill.
Back to Top View ChicagoBill's Profile Search for other posts by ChicagoBill

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2022 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

As I remember, Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" had the guitar riff (that's a major hook for the record) completely excised from the single!

I'm sure there are others, but that one immediately leapt to mind. Of course there are remixes and edits for time I personally didn't care for, but that felt like a rewriting of the song.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2022 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

What? No mention of "Lyin' Eyes"?

I never thought the edit of "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" was that bad, granted it was never a favorite of mine. Back in 1969 WRKO aired a house edit of that which
ran more or less the same length as the single, but they'd removed the whole "Tuesday morning, Sunday in the afternoon..." part. For the longest time it didn't
sound right to me with that part intact. Not sure why they did it...maybe they were trying to scoop the competition on it, and edited the LP version down, and
just never replaced it when the single was released.

Quote:
2) On Bee Gees' "Nights On Broadway" I don't like the soft bridge being edited out on the dj 45. Still, I preferred a shorter version than the LP
version. So I kind of combined the 2 approaches. I took the long version and made it like the dj edit with the exception of deleting the bridge. In other words,
I did the one other edit, I sped up the song accordingly, and I did the same early fade as the dj 45.

Just going from memory, a shortened intro, early fade, and removal of the bridge were what was done to create the promo edit on that. So was your end result
basically the full version with a short intro?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2022 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

BB&Q Band-"On the beat" where there's no sax at the end

Atlantic Starr's "Secret lovers" never really worked as a
rondo with a combining of the two verses before the
chorus. Edit was a cross-fade and you can't unhear it.

Evelyn King's "I don't know if it's right" starts with a
bridge-like intro instead of the build-up that the
original album version had. The single is an edit of the
12" single and later replaced that nice album version on
subsequent pressings.

Michael Jackson's "Bad" with removal of much of the
horns.

Too many to mention as I really don't prefer the edits
unless a song sounds clunky. Different mixes are really
what I'm after but quite often as we've found in the cd
era, we end up with a new single mix of the album
version.
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

75azabache
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2022 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote 75azabache

A bit OT as this relates to an edit of a remix, but the 7" of Paula Abdul's Opposites Attract was horrendous. Edited very poorly, when they could have settled for the far superior Street Mix which included the rap or the non rap Magnetic Mix, the latter of which I heard on American Radio in Europe and the Benny Brown American Countdown in the UK.
Back to Top View 75azabache's Profile Search for other posts by 75azabache

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2022 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

A couple of my least favorite 45 edits:

Michael Jackson - Thriller (Remixed Short Version aka Special Edit) [i.e. the commercial 45 version]. No Vincent Price at all!

Prince & The Revolution - Let's Go Crazy [45 version with the overdubbed/shortened intro]. IIRC, my local Top 40 station at the time only started playing this abomination once the song was on its way out.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2022 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

One of my least favorite promo edits:

Bram Tchaikovsky - "Girl Of My Dreams"

Extremely hooky power pop.

The promo 45 edited out arguably the catchiest section
twice , the pre-chorus ("oooh, it gets lonely in the
night").

Andy

Edited by AndrewChouffi on 18 December 2022 at 6:50am
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2023 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

This was mentioned on other threads but these 2 songs had really
disappointing (and horrible) edits for their 45 versions:

While You See a Chance - Winwood
Dream On (1973 single) - Aerosmith

I had tried making a decent neo-single edit of the Winwood song with no
luck. But I was trying to edit spots on beat 1. Luckily, someone here posted
how if you edit on beat 2 (just one beat off from where the real edit occurs)
you can get a smooth edit. Never thought to do that, but he was right, his
edit was good, and I basically did the same thing to get a WAV from my
album version. Too bad the label never thought to edit there. I believe the
length comes out to be about the same as the bad edit.

What's really weird is that when I heard the song in its initial run, I never
noticed the bad edit. It wasn't until years later when I heard the album
version, then went back to listen specifically to the single edit and see
where it was done, that I noticed how horrible it was. And then I could never
un-hear it. I believe it goes "your way-EEEEE". Not even edited on the same
vowel sound!

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2023 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

EdisonLite wrote:
This was mentioned on other threads but these 2 songs had really
disappointing (and horrible) edits for their 45 versions:

While You See a Chance - Winwood
Dream On (1973 single) - Aerosmith

I guess it's what you're used to, neither of those bothers me a bit. Never cared for the Winwood song all that much, so I
didn't/don't listen all that closely.
I live in New England, "Dream On" was a big hit here in the autumn of '73, and the 45 version is what got played (outside of AOR). To
my ears it's the "correct" version, much of what was edited out sounds "tacked on" in the LP version.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2023 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

What I would like is the "Dream On" '73 MIX in its unedited
state.

Always loved the background vox & the echo on the guitar
solo on that mix (but I never liked the out-of-sequence
edit).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version