Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Never My Love" - The 5th Dimension Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 June 2014 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat (or anyone else who can assist with the following):

I was patronizing one of the few remaining locally-owned CD stores in my area earlier this week and discovered it had a copy of The 5th Dimension's Playlist: The Very Best of CD (Bell/Arista/Legacy 301589) in stock. Aside from the fact that this appears to be yet another repackaging of the same material found on a number of other 5th Dimension CD compilations (although this new Playlist release does contain a DJ edit of "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In"), my eye caught one potential rarity in particular... According the track listing printed on the rear CD tray insert (and I'm going from memory here), "Never My Love" is shown as being the "single release (mono)".

To this point, the 5th Dimension's "Never My Love" has never appeared on CD in its mono 45 form. However, it should also be noted that the song on the Live!! parent album CD release (Collectors' Choice Music 781) does not exactly match the 45 either. That's because the first 3.6 seconds of applause on the commercial 45 is different from the applause heard prior to the track on the Live!! CD. The crowd whistles and hooting/hollering are not the same. From beyond the 3.6 second mark though, the audio does match up between the 45 and CD.

At some point, I may try and see if I can locate the correct 3.6 seconds of applause elsewhere on the CD, though admittedly I'm not really looking forward to undertaking what could prove to be a rather arduous and tedious task. But if it turns out the correct mono 45 version is indeed on the Playlist CD, it would sure save the hassle!

This brings me to my first question.... The database indicates that "Never My Love" is in stereo on the Playlist CD, even though the track listing states "mono". Can someone who has this disc please confirm which mix designation is accurate and report back? Once we've established this, we should also try to determine if the opening applause on the CD matches that on the 45.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 17 June 2014 at 10:03pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 June 2014 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The track "Never My Love" is mono on the Playlist cd and has the correct audience applause introduction.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Another 45 version uncovered. Thanks gentlemen.

Kerry Jackson
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Kerry Jackson

The promo 45 "short" side doesn't have any audience applause introduction. It begins 25 seconds after the long version starts, but it is exactly the same from that point. The short dj45 can be created from the Playlist cd by simply eliminating the first 25 seconds.     
Back to Top View Kerry Jackson's Profile Search for other posts by Kerry Jackson

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Pat... Well, it looks like I'll be heading back to the CD store in the very near future!

I only wish Bell/Arista/Legacy would've utilized this opportunity to include more mono 45 mixes on the Playlist CD. If there's one act whose availability of mono single mixes continues to be dreadfully lacking, it's the 5th Dimension. Here's hoping a reissue label like Real Gone Music or Collectors' Choice Music someday decides to undertake and release an all-mono singles compilation of the group!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Tim Brown
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote Tim Brown

Todd,

You mentioned the DJ edit of Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In.
Was wondering how much it was shortened and where it was
edited.
Back to Top View Tim Brown's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Brown

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 4:53am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Tim Brown wrote:

You mentioned the DJ edit of Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In.
Was wondering how much it was shortened and where it was
edited.

As well as which DJ edit, there were two. There was a 3:50
edit that was on the mono side of most promo 45s, and
another, shorter edit that ran around 3:05.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version