Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: R. Kelly - Ignition (Remix) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 May 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There is currently another thread on the board that discusses "Ignition," but the thread is simply called "R Kelly questions..." It can be found here.

I thought I'd start a new thread to detail contents of my promo CDs, as well as raise some additional questions. First, here is what appears on the promo CDs.

"Ignition" (JDJ-40052-2)
1. Album Version (listed 3:43; actual 3:41)
2. Instrumental (listed 3:43; actual 3:35)
3. Acappella (listed 3:43; actual 3:38)

This version is truly NOT the album version found on "Chocolate Factory." For one, the version on the full-length album ends at around 3:16 (at the line "now let me see you...") and segues into "Ignition (Remix)."

But the main difference is that the song does not simply fade out the "Remix" at the ending. At 3:36, right after the line "you must be a football coach the way you got me playing the field," the song cuts to a few seconds of the music from the ending of the "Remix."

"Ignition (Remix)" (JDJ-40076-2)
1. Album Version (listed & actual 3:07)
2. Instrumental (listed & actual 3:07)

Although track 1 is listed as "Album Version," this is also not the true album version found on "Chocolate Factory." The difference is that there is no overlapping vocal on the intro. By contrast, the line "now let me see you..." from the regular version overlaps the intro of the "Remix" on "Chocolate Factory."

I think it's pretty unanimous that the first version of "Ignition" was not the smash hit that everyone remembers. I still hear my local top 40 station play this song every once in a while, and it's ALWAYS the remix. I don't ever recall hearing the 3:41 "45 version" on pop radio. Somehow, the database should make mention of this fact, so that a reader doesn't accidentally seek out and purchase the wrong version on CD.

And now, some questions...

1. Could a case be made that "Ignition" and "Ignition (Remix)" are worthy of separate database entries? After all, they are really two separate songs, released at different times by Jive, and despite the title, one is not merely a different mix of the other. It's an entirely different recording.

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here, but normally Billboard would have given two drastically different recordings like this separate chart runs. That's why P. Diddy's "I Need A Girl" (Part 1) and (Part 2) from the previous year has two entries in the database. This leads me to my next question.

2. Why did Billboard choose not to list a separate chart run for "Ignition Remix"? It may have something to do with my third question.

3. Was there ever a commercial single, in any format, in the US for the "Remix"?

Sorry for the extremely long thread, but this song was just a huge hit and still continues to get airplay today, not to mention requests at weddings. I think it deserves a little extra discussion :)

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Was there ever a commercial single, in any format, in the US for the "Remix"?

I own a US commercial CD single, but it doesn't say anything about "remix." Three-track single in a card sleeve, Jive 01241-40065-2. UPC code 012414006523.

1. Ignition - Album Version, listed 3:43, actual 3:41
2. Ignition - Instrumental, listed 3:43, actual 3:35 (because there's no spoken intro)
3. A Taste of Chocolate Factory (Album Snippets) (Chocolate Factory/Imagine That/Who's That?, listed and actual 3:21

Edited by Brian W. on 15 May 2014 at 2:41am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Brian. That CD single contains the original version. The
"Remix" is what propelled the song up the charts, even if Billboard
didn't credit the song this way. I would imagine there were a fair
number of angry consumers who bought that CD single thinking they
were getting the hit version, only to find out it was the original.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, thanks for updating the database with the CD single information. What do you think is the best way to explain to readers that "Ignition-Remix" is the hit recording and not the 3:41 "45 version" found on the CD single?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here is some further information on the chart run of "Ignition," which gives weight to the argument that Billboard goofed up by not giving "Ignition-Remix" its own chart run.

11/9/2002 - "Ignition" enters the Hot 100 at #92
12/28/2002 - original song peaks at #32
1/11/2003 - original song drops to #43; around this same time "Ignition-Remix" is sent to radio
1/18/2003 - "Ignition" re-renters the top 40, fueled by airplay of the new and completely different recording titled "Ignition-Remix"
3/29/2003 - "Ignition" (as Billboard labeled it) peaks at #2, but it is truly "Ignition-Remix" that propelled the song up the charts

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
Pat, thanks for updating the database with the CD
single information. What do you think is the best way to explain to
readers that "Ignition-Remix" is the hit recording and not the 3:41
"45 version" found on the CD single?

In my opinion, I think the best thing to do here would be to provide a
more detailed comment next to all CD entries containing the remix (in
much the same manner as was done for Len's "Steal My Sunshine"):

(this is the remix, which was the most popular version for radio
airplay)

I fully agree that the remix of R. Kelly's "Intuition" should be
considered the official "hit" version. This has always been the one
that's gotten radio airplay in my local area and I've never heard any
station play the commercial single and album version ever.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 15 May 2014 at 12:51pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I think your suggestion would be helpful, but this one is truly a special
case, because there are technically two hit versions. The CD single
version really had its own chart run, peaking at #32. The "Remix" is a
completely different song and should have been given a different
"album cut" chart run by Billboard. If they had properly credited the
song for the Hot 100, Pat would have two separate entries--"Ignition"
and "Ignition-Remix".

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 May 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Billboard's current policy is to make a judgement based on a number of criteria (I forget exactly what they are; they were outlined when the new policy was introduced) on whether to list a remix as a separate entry. It was Jennifer Lopez's two number one hits, "Ain't It Funny" and "I'm Real" that had prompted the new policy. For both of the Jennifer Lopez songs, the original and the remix are completely different songs. The first song to fall under the new policy was the aforesaid Puff Daddy's "I Need A Girl". It is indeed odd that the same was not done with "Ignition" later that year. My guess is that it didn't meet the criterea.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul Haney,

I was checking against the annual and the 3:38 non-hit version is listed. The 3:38 was released as a cd single but the Ignition [Remix] at 3:06 is the one that should be listed.

I realize that Whitburn goes by commercial releases but like Paul C said above, both Ain't It Funny and I'm Real are the remix versions and the annual fails to note that difference. I might be misled if I did not know any better to think the album version of Ain't it Funny and I'm Real are the hits based on the way you listed it. Just an observation...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version