Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Rolling Stones - She’s A Rainbow Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 April 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I know that Pat has on occasion had to go with "second-hand" DJ 45 listed
time info for some older, rarer promo short version timings. Just in case this
song was one of those times, I can now confirm that the promo 45,
confirmed as London 906, has both a listed & actual time of (2:48). Deadwax
is "AP1", then a forceful crossout of three characters, followed by "41714-
1F". There are edits, and my intention is to follow up with particulars, when
specifics on them become available.

For any Stones fans out there, or anyone else curious, the stock 45's flip,
"2,000 Light Years From Home", also appears on the promo 45 in an edited
version from what appeared on the 1968 stock 45. Listed & actual time for
this side is (2:52).   
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Jim, thanks for posting the DJ 45 timings!

Here's yet another 45 variation on this coupling: I have a Specialty-pressed 1986 vinyl reissue 45 on the white label with the blue-London-logo-inside-a-red-triangle design. The catalog number is still 5N-906, but a quick glance at the playing surfaces of both sides makes it clear there's no way either runs as long as the printed times of 4:10 and 4:45. Both sides are in stereo, although there's no such label indication. A machine-stamped "MASTERED BY TRUETONE" followed by a hand-etched "pa-4-86" appears on both sides.

Actual times are 2:49 for "She's A Rainbow" and 3:05 for "2,000 Light Years From Home." I'll be curious to learn how these edits - both somewhat clunky in spots - compare to the actual DJ 45 (although "2,000" most certainly differs.)

Edited by Yah Shure on 13 April 2014 at 2:15pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2014 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Interesting that a label would attempt to re-create a radio
edit for a reissue single.

I have a jukebox EP of "Their Satanic Majesties Request",
and it contains the same edits of SAR and 2kLYFH as the
promo 45, only in (somewhat narrow) stereo.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I have a 45 with the 'sunrise' label, which I believe makes it a late 70s / early 80s pressing. The versions are as YS describes them and the label states the same incorrect run times. There's a machine-stamped word I can't quite make out ("Sterling"?).

Another thing that has always confused me about these 1970s and 80s pressings of sixties Rolling Stones hits is, although the label says 'London', which record company actually issued them? It's always been my understanding that Abkco has owned the Rolling Stones sixties recordings since about 1970. I recall being told by a dealer around 1984 that these singles actually had to be ordered frm Abkco. Does anyone have any 1970s or 80s pressings of 1960s Rolling Stones albums? Which label are they on, London or Abkco?
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Paul, I also have a "sunrise" label reissue, dating from the late '70s. It's a Columbia Terre Haute styrene pressing, with the A-side mastered by Bell Sound Studios in NYC. In addition to the "Bell Sound" script font logo in the deadwax, another highly-visible characteristic of the studio's 45 masterings is their unusually wide lead-in groove area, which takes the stylus about four revolutions of the record to get from the outer edge to the beginning of the playing area. Many Amy/Mala/Bell 45s exhibit similar marks of their Bell Sound Studios heritage.

The "2,000 Light Years" flip does not have the Bell Sound logo in the deadwax, primarily because there was just barely enough room to inscribe the matrix numbers. Listed times are the usual 4:10 and 4:45. Here are the particulars on my copy:

"She's A Rainbow"
Mono. Actual time is 4:11.
Deadwax: "XDR-41714-x-1" "Bell Sound" script font logo, followed by "sf" (Sam Feldman's initials) and "T | | |".

"2,000 Light Years From Home"
Mono. Actual time is 4:42.
Deadwax: "XDR41715-1H" "T||"

So there are some obvious differences in mileage here. And you were correct; that is "STERLING" in your deadwax, meaning it was mastered at Sterling Sound in NYC.

As for the London/Abkco "arrangement," On my original Hot Rocks 1964-1971 double-LP, there's a "Manufactured by abkco Records, Inc. 1700 Broadway, New York, NY 10019" blurb at the bottom of the back cover, but that's the only Abkco reference. The records bear the typical blue London stereophonic labels.

My More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies) double-LP is of mid-'70s vintage. On the back cover, it says "Distributed by London Records" below the (P)1972 Abkco Records, Inc. note below the London logo, followed by the same "manufactured by Abkco..." language as above. The records still bear the blue stereophonic London labels, but this time have "Manufactured by Abkco Records, Inc. Made In U.S.A." printed at the very bottom on all four labels.

As for the reissue 45s, the independent Minneapolis distributor I worked at in the mid-'70s that distributed the London label still ordered the Stones' London 45s from London in NYC. At that time, I received a number of packages from the label to send to various stations, each of which had an insert stuffed inside one sleeve that read as follows:

(London Records logo and address/phone number, etc. at the top)

London Records is reservicing you with a boxed set of select GOLDEN OLDIES - classic singles your station has been spinning for many, many years. And now's a great time for you to replace those worn-out constantly-playin' grooves with brand new 45s of these hit singles.

Included in London's box of GOLDEN OLDIES are classic recordings by such superstars ar THE ROLLING STONES (featuring 8 titles), THE MOODY BLUES, AL GREEN, TOM JONES, ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK, and many more, as well as recent chart smashes by ZZ TOP and JOHN MILES!

A record's grooves may be wearing out, but the songs will live forever!

(ENJOY LONDON RECORDS' GIFT TO YOU!)

CONTACT FOR RECORD INFO: Barbara Bordelon

(And please let us know if we can reservice your station with any more LONDON releases!)

The Stones' records in these box sets were on the blue swirl London label; the Moodies were on Deram or the dark blue Threshold (for "Questions" and beyond) and the other artists were all on their respective Hi and Parrot gold-label Great Hits series. None of the Stones' 45s had any mention of Abkco on their labels.

The London labels continued to be used for product released prior to the group's move to Atlantic, but the lighter-blue Abkco label appeared on the Metamorphosis LP and the singles pulled from that album. These early Stones recordings had not been previously issued.

The Stones' 45s seem to have fallen out of print when London and its British Decca parent were acquired by Polygram.

Edited by Yah Shure on 16 April 2014 at 3:22pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

At some point in the 1980s, the Rolling Stones' pre-1970 output switched from being on London to being on Abkco. I have seen price guides that date issue of the catalog LPs on Abkco to 1986, but can't personally vouch for that. I am guessing that the copyright to this material was always owned by the Stones' management, but was leased to Decca/London until 1986. The albums were probably not issued on CD until after the changeover (or do early CDs exist on London?).

I would guess that the Stones' London 45s went out of print around the same time. It's my understanding that PolyGram acquired British Decca in 1981, and the white label with the triangular logo didn't appear until after that, so Stones reissues on London were still being produced in at least the first few years of PolyGram ownership. I've heard claims that these were still available until around 1988, but that could have been old stock still sitting on store shelves.

As Yah Shure noted, all of this only applies to material that was originally released in 1970 or earlier. The 1975 album Metamorphosis (which contains pre-1970 demos and alternate takes) and its attendant singles were always on Abcko, not London.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Revisiting this song, does anyone know how to create the
2:48 DJ edit for "She's A Rainbow?"

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks to Hykker for the vinyl dub. It's only one edit.
Remove from :41 to 2:04. It will a smooth edit. Yet, the
vinyl edit was awkward.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version