Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Captain Tennille - Do That To Me One ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 March 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

For the search function: Captain And Tennille - Do That To Me One More Time. I heard that this song was recorded in their living room; I could be mistaken.

LP length, about 4:13

The first version to appear on CD was the LP length, on a mail-order 3-CD set called Sessions presents Secret Love (1987). It ran 4:12, and 89.8 BPM throughout (live drummer playing to a click track). I'd say the sound is good, but not great, and that this disc doesn't use the lowest-generation source tape.

In 1990, radio library production company Century 21 (later known as TM Century) put out a sampler of their custom-for-radio compilation series, GoldDisc 3. "Nothing else/sounds as good/as GoldDisc 3." Hard to argue with that, except in hindsight. The sampler used this Captain And Tennille track as one of the demo songs. Here, it used the same analog transfer as Secret Love, with no added noise reduction (that's good), but a truncated fade (that's bad).

Two other compilations that use the same analog transfer as Secret Love:
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Night Songs (1994)
  • JCI's Only Love 1980-1984 (1995)
In 1994, there was a new analog transfer done for Casablanca Records Story, where it runs 4:12 and 90.1 BPM throughout. This sounds far better than Secret Love, with a much-boosted high end, and (to my ears) lower-generation source tapes. There are digital clones on:
  • PolyGram's single-disc Selections From The Casablanca Story (1994)
  • PolyGram's Casablanca Records (1996)
There's still one more new analog transfer on Ultimate Collection (2001), but it's compressed a bit to even out the volume level from the beginning of the song to the end of the song. It's not severely brickwalled, but this kind of mastering loses some of the dynamic of the song - it really does start much quieter than the end.

For the LP length, I prefer the Casablanca discs.

45 length, about 3:49

The 45 length first appeared on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1980 (1992), where it runs 3:51 and 89.7 BPM throughout. Here it sounds quite nice to my ears, with low generation source tapes, no extra compression/limiting, and a slightly bright EQ. At the tail end of the fade, you'll hear a buzzing down around -72 dB. I couldn't hear it until the music ended, so it's way down in volume, and certainly not noticeable during the song. There are a few discs that use the same analog transfer as Billboard:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk (1994; digitally exactly 0.3 dB quieter)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Seventies Feelings (1995)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 39 Pop Nuggets Late '70s (1995; differently EQ'd digital clone but also has added compression and clips a lot - avoid)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 4 Together Forever (1996; digitally exactly 2.896 dB quieter)
  • Time-Life's single-disc Body Talk Hearts Together (1998; also digitally exactly 2.896 dB quieter)
Others:

Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 7 Light And Easy (1993) actually sounds pretty good, but clips a bit. It runs 3:49 and 90.3 BPM throughout. Rhino's Radio Daze Vol. 1 (1995) also sounds pretty good, but it's not clear why they didn't just use a clone of the Billboard CD. Here, it runs 3:49 and 89.8 BPM throughout.

For the 45 length, I prefer Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1980 (1992).

Spanish version

I knew that they rerecorded their first album entirely in Spanish, but until yesterday did not know that they also Spanish-ized "Do That To Me One More Time". It appears to have been released in Spain as a 45 A-side, as Casablanca 60 00 416 in 1980, titled "Amame Una Vez Mas". It was also released as 12" B-sides in the UK for "No Love In The Morning" and "Happy Together (A Fantasy)". The song is posted a few times on YouTube - I found a version running about 4:00 with a cold ending. The 12" singles have a printed time of 4:02, so that's consistent.

I doubt that this has been, or will be, released on CD.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 March 2014 at 8:04pm

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

That Spanish version was released on a U.S. 45 too, for
about a second. Back in '80, WKTU in NY started playing
it, then they created an in-house "Spang-lish" edit. At
that time i looked in Record World and at the end of the
45 wall they had 5 or 6 current hits in Spanish, this was
one. Held it in my hand..but put it back.
I figured I'd pick it up next trip. Nope, gone. Never saw
another copy again, and I looked on and off for like 30
years.. never found it, not even on E-bay.

Finally,'bout 2 months ago my friend Chris bought some
foreign hits online as 45's, and shipped them to me so I
could dub them to digital for him.   This was one! Yay,
after 30 plus years.   
The copy he found is a promo, stereo/mono and the # is
NB2247DJ. Title is listed as "Do That To Me One More Time
(Amame Una Vez Mas)"
And as Ron mentioned, it is indeed 4:02 with a cold
ending.
MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Glenpwood
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Glenpwood

Never knew the Spanish version of this was so obscure as a 45. I have one I picked up off Ebay and they do have one currently listed for sale under BIN for $7.
Back to Top View Glenpwood's Profile Search for other posts by Glenpwood

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

MMathews wrote:
Back in '80,...i looked in Record World and at the end of the 45 wall they had 5 or 6 current hits in Spanish, this was one.

Quote:
...'bout 2 months ago my friend Chris bought some foreign hits online as 45's, and shipped them to me so I could dub them to digital for him.

So 34 years later, by chance do you remember what any of those other hits you saw at Record World sung in Spanish were??? Also, could you share what the other titles were that your friend recently bought on-line??? :-) I ask because by coincidence, about six months ago, as a personal project I started compiling a list of '70s & '80s hits that were also recorded in Spanish by the original artists at the time, and needless to say, assembling such a list has been fairly tough. There was definitely a peak for this "fad" in the late '70s/early '80s, w/ the trend settling down for about 5-6 years before making a big comeback in the late '80s, w/ the explosion of the Latin freestyle movement and Gloria Estefan, among others (which continued through the early '90s - think Gerardo, Jon Secada, and even Wilson Phillips). Over the years, it seems like I've been sporadically learning about "new" Spanish-language singles/versions of hit songs that I didn't previously know about, so just for kicks, last Fall I decided it was finally time to make a list of the ones I could confirm - and yes, "Do That to Me One More Time" ("Amame Una Vez Mas") was one of them. So far, my research indicates that these Spanish-language versions weren't always released here in the U.S., while others - when they were issued here - were relegated to 12" singles only. I've also indicated which ones I know to exist on CD, and to my surprise, it seems very few dating prior to the late '80s do (starting in the late '80s, most exist on promo CD singles, at the very least)...

Quote:
The copy he found is a promo, stereo/mono and the # is NB2247DJ. Title is listed as "Do That To Me One More Time (Amame Una Vez Mas)"

Yep, that's definitely the U.S. 45. I happen to have a commercial/stock copy of Casablanca 2247, and the title is shown the exact same way there. BTW, the B-side is "Deep in the Dark" (sung in English) - same as what appeared on the flip of Casablanca 2215 (i.e., the hit English version of "DTTMOMT"). The stereo/mono promos of Casablanca 2247 aren't extremely hard to find, but commercial/stock copies definitely are...

Quote:
And as Ron mentioned, it is indeed 4:02 with a cold ending.

Printed time on commercial/stock copies was also (4:02), although I haven't actually timed or listened to my copy (yet)...

crapfromthepast wrote:
I doubt that [the Spanish-language version of "DTTMOMT"] has been, or will be, released on CD.

So far, I've come up empty on this one as well (domestic or import). Of course, as you rightly noted, the Captain & Tennille re-recorded their entire debut album in Spanish (as Por Amor Viviremos), which was released here in the U.S. on A&M 4561 in late 1975. The reason??? On a whim, earlier that Summer, they'd recorded their #1 hit, "Love Will Keep Us Together", in Spanish, and released it as a commercial single here in the U.S., on A&M 1715. Guess what??? Apparently to the label's surprise, it actually charted in its own right, hitting #49 pop in Billboard and #57 in Cash Box! So A&M rushed them back into the studio to re-do the entire album in Spanish. And while it appears the Spanish-language album has never been re-issued on CD, the hit Spanish version of "LWKUT" is actually included on 2001's Ultimate Collection CD...

In closing, I'll now leave you all w/ the Spanish-language version of America's 1975 hit, "Sister Golden Hair", as found on YouTube (haven't confirmed if this was ever released in the U.S., though - but if anyone can, please post the info here!): America - "Sister Golden Hair" (1975 Spanish-language version) :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

In working my way through 1980, so far I've found the
following tracks in Spanish. I don't know in what format
these were originally released, or in what countries.
But I can confirm that these actually exist, and are
recorded by the original artists.

CALL ME [in Spanish] - Blondie
AMAMA UNA VEZ MAS [Do That To Me One More Time in
Spanish] - Captain and Tennille
POR FAVOR NO TE VAYAS [Please Don't Go in Spanish] - KC
and the Sunshine Band
YES I'M READY [in Spanish] - Teri DeSario with KC
NO TE ENAMORES DE UN LOCO [Don't Fall In Love With A
Dreamer in Spanish] - Kenny Rogers with Kim Carnes
STEAL AWAY [in Spanish] - Robbie Dupree
LET'S GET SERIOUS [in Spanish] - Jermaine Jackson
MAS AMOR [More Love in Spanish] - Kim Carnes
HOT ROD HEARTS [in Spanish] - Robbie Dupree

There may be more; I'm still working through the 1980
tracks.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

crapfromthepast wrote:
In working my way through 1980,
so far I've found the
following tracks in Spanish.

Add to your list "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Police

I have a promo 45 of it, b/w DDDD,DDDD in Japanese.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

You can find "Si No Estás Tú" - the Spanish version of Harry Nilsson's "Without You" - on the recent remastering of the Nilsson Schmilsson album.
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast wrote:
In working my way through 1980, so far I've found the following tracks in Spanish. I don't know in what format these were originally released, or in what countries. But I can confirm that these actually exist, and are recorded by the original artists.

CALL ME [in Spanish] - Blondie
AMAMA UNA VEZ MAS [Do That To Me One More Time in
Spanish] - Captain and Tennille
POR FAVOR NO TE VAYAS [Please Don't Go in Spanish] - KC
and the Sunshine Band
YES I'M READY [in Spanish] - Teri DeSario with KC
NO TE ENAMORES DE UN LOCO [Don't Fall In Love With A
Dreamer in Spanish] - Kenny Rogers with Kim Carnes
STEAL AWAY [in Spanish] - Robbie Dupree
LET'S GET SERIOUS [in Spanish] - Jermaine Jackson
MAS AMOR [More Love in Spanish] - Kim Carnes
HOT ROD HEARTS [in Spanish] - Robbie Dupree

Wow, cftp - that's quite a list, for just a single year! The ones I put in bold, I didn't yet know about - but I'll take those, and see if I can't find more details, such as format, U.S. release, availability on CD, etc. (Thanks for the leads.) About six months ago, I originally spent a couple of my weekends researching my list, and since then have only added a few new notes to it, but if you have this many from just a single year, then you're definitely way ahead of me! (Haven't focused on any particular year; just the '70s & '80s, although I have notes on additional titles up through the late '90s, many of which I learned about through posts by fellow members of this board.) But if there were this many from just a single year (adding in the ones I can also contribute from 1980 - see below), this will clearly be a bigger project than I originally bargained for, lol...

Quote:
There may be more; I'm still working through the 1980 tracks.

Yes, there are definitely others, just from 1980. In addition to the one that Hykker mentioned by The Police (which I was already previously aware of), you can include the following:

TOMMY JAMES - "No Hay Dos Sin Tres" ("Three Times in Love") (commercial U.S. 45 issued on Millennium 11787, w/ unique picture sleeve)
POINTER SISTERS - "Es Tan Timido" ("He's So Shy") (commercial U.S. 45 issued on Planet 47918)
KOOL & THE GANG - "Celebremos" ("Celebration") (commercial U.S. 12" single issued on De-Lite 503)

I actually have a commercial/stock copy of the U.S. 45 by Tommy James listed above (complete w/ ps) - definitely another toughie, just like the one by Captain & Tennille. YOU'VE actually mentioned the one by the Pointer Sisters here on this board previously, lol. (To quote you from a post made on 09 January 2008 in the Wilson Phillips - "You're In Love" thread: "Foreign language re-recordings are my specialty on the radio show. There's nothing like a little Pointer Sisters in Spanish ["He's So Shy"] or Chicago in Japanese ["Questions 67 and 68"] to wake you up!") The Kool & the Gang song could arguably be from 1981 (first hit the charts in October of '80, but peaked on the pop chart in February of '81, although it did hit #1 r&b in December of '80, so take your pick...)

The Spanish version of "Celebration" ("Celebremos") is another one that IS available on CD here in the U.S., as it was included on 1999's The 12" Collection and More. So this begs the following: When the Spanish-language versions of these top 40 hits are available on a U.S. CD, should they also be listed in Pat's book/database??? Over the years, he has been inconsistent: e.g., Kool & the Gang IS listed - as is Blondie's "Call Me" - but the Captain & Tennille ISN'T (referring to "Love Will Keep Us Together", of course - not "Do That To Me One More Time"). The Spanish-language version of Toni Basil's 1982 hit, "Mickey", is also on TWO U.S. CDs, but they're not listed, either. Personally, I'd like to see these all listed, just for the sake of completeness. :-) Opinions???

Hykker wrote:
Add to your list "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Police

I have a promo 45 of it, b/w DDDD,DDDD in Japanese.

Yep, commercial/stock copies also exist; it was issued here in the U.S. on A&M 25000, w/ a unique picture sleeve. Interesting thing about this one: The 45 was issued here in the U.S. w/ both small and large center holes (although the version w/ the small center hole seems to be more common). So far, I've found no evidence that either the Spanish- or Japanese-language versions of this hit are available on CD (domestic or import), which somewhat surprises me...

Ringmaster_D wrote:
You can find "Si No Estás Tú" - the Spanish version of Harry Nilsson's "Without You" - on the recent remastering of the Nilsson Schmilsson album.

Hmmm, didn't yet know about that one, either, but it definitely falls in the '70s, so I'll add it to my list. Thanks!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 April 2014 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes, I like the idea of consistency, and I, too, would prefer Pat include the Spanish versions in the database if they exist on US CD. (He could simply mention "Spanish Version" in the database, as he has done for "Call Me", etc.)

Maybe the incompleteness you refer to could be because Pat wasn't aware of their existence on US CD. There probably aren't too many other songs so I don't think it would be a massive undertaking to update the database for this. But it's Pat's call.

And 80sMusicFreak, for any other results you find - of these above mentioned songs in Spanish, whatever you find (especially CDs) please mention them in the forum here. Maybe we can start a new thread called "Top 40 Hits in Spanish" here, and keep an ongoing list of anything released on CD, 45, or LP.

I suggest the new thread because anyone who doesn't care about "Do That To Me One More Time" won't even know about all the artists' Spanish titles discussed above.

And wow, if those Robbie Dupree or Kim Carnes titles exist on any import CDs, please report back!

Also, for the record, Sheena Easton recorded an all-Spanish LP in the mid '80s (also released on CD in 1989!) It contained 5 of her hits in Spanish, and 5 original songs sung in Spanish.

Edited by EdisonLite on 08 April 2014 at 10:28am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

80smusicfreak wrote:
MMathews wrote:
Back in '80,...i
looked in Record World and at the end of the 45 wall they
had 5 or 6 current hits in Spanish, this was one.

Quote:
...'bout 2 months ago my friend Chris bought some
foreign hits online as 45's, and shipped them to me so I
could dub them to digital for him.

So 34 years later, by chance do you remember what any of
those other hits you saw at Record World sung in Spanish
were??? Also, could you share what the other titles were
that your friend recently bought on-line??? :-) [/URL] :-
)

Sorry I missed this Q until now.... sadly I only
remember one other 45 of the ones Record World had in the
Spanish section, that I also wanted, but did not buy:
Lady by Kenny Rogers. It was yet another one that 'KTU
in NY made a Spanglish edit for.

The other tracks Chris asked me to dub for him are all
older:

Young Rascals - "Groovin" (Promo 45 with Spanish one
side, and Italian on the other)
Petula Clark - "Mon Amour" (My Love in French)
Petula Clark - "Si Tu Prenais Le Temps" (A Sign Of The
Times in French)

MM

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Getting back to this a little later than originally anticipated - my apologies...

EdisonLite wrote:
(He could simply mention "Spanish Version" in the database, as he has done for "Call Me", etc.)

Works for me. :-) But that being said, I do have one issue: The way Pat's on-line database is set up, if you want to try and look up which (i.e., how many) top 40 hits have Spanish-language versions available on U.S. CDs, there is no way to currently do so, unless you ALREADY KNOW a Spanish-language version of a specific song exists! Case in point: Prior to cftp's post above, I didn't know that KC and the Sunshine Band had recorded a Spanish-language version of their 1979 hit, "Please Don't Go". And not only have I since confirmed its existence on my own and discovered that it was indeed issued as a commercial U.S. 45 at that time (T.K. 1037A), sure enough, it's also available on a U.S. CD, which I don't have myself - namely 1999's two-disc 25th Anniversary Collection (Rhino 75804)! And yes, in this case, Pat DOES list it in the database (bravo!) - just wish there was a way to do a general search for these versions, as it obviously would've taken me a LOT longer to discover Pat's listing if not for cftp's tip. So perhaps Pat would be kind enough to search his existing database files and post a complete list here, since I can't imagine it would be more than about a dozen titles long??? :-) (Of course, that would be IN ADDITION TO entering the missing listings that we've been discussing here...)

Quote:
Maybe the incompleteness you refer to could be because Pat wasn't aware of their existence on US CD.

Well, the Spanish-language versions of the two songs that I mentioned in my previous post as missing from Pat's current database listings are on various CDs that contain other top 40 hits - the additional contents of which ARE all listed - and therefore, I know he already owns those particular CDs...

To provide more specific details, the Spanish-language version of Captain & Tennille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" is on this U.S. CD:

Hip-O 314520901 CAPTAIN & TENNILLE - Ultimate Collection (track 22 - shown as "Por Amor Viviremos") (2001)

And the Spanish-language version of Toni Basil's "Mickey" appears on these two U.S. CDs:

EMI 89605 V/A - Living in Oblivion: The 80's Greatest Hits Volume Two (track 19) (1993)
Razor & Tie 2057 TONI BASIL - Best of (track 15) (1994)

(Sorry, at this time I don't have exact timings for the versions on the above CDs...)

Quote:
Also, for the record, Sheena Easton recorded an all-Spanish LP in the mid '80s (also released on CD in 1989!) It contained 5 of her hits in Spanish, and 5 original songs sung in Spanish.

Good call! I totally forgot about that one - primarily because when it was originally released in 1984, Todo Me Recuerda a Ti wasn't issued here in the U.S. in any format (otherwise, I know I would've bought it on cassette at the time, as I've always been a fan). And yes, a check on Discogs reveals that it did eventually see a U.S. release in 1989 on Capitol/EMI Latin 42055 (which I wasn't aware of), and indeed it did come out on CD - must be pretty rare, though! Page w/ photos of U.S. CD here (note front cover art differs from original 1984 international release): Sheena Easton - "Todo Me Recuerda a Ti" U.S. CD So if Pat is going to list everything, this one certainly qualifies for database inclusion as well...

And as cmmmbase and MCT1 discussed in your new "Hits recorded in Spanish" thread, don't forget David Lee Roth's album, Sonrisa Salvaje, which WAS already on my list - but they beat me to it! As they already mentioned, it was an all-Spanish version of his 1986 album, Eat 'em and Smile. To expand on this one a bit, it came out at the same time as the English version, but only on vinyl LP & cassette (Warner Bros. 25516); I used to see it all the time back in the '80s when I lived in SoCal, w/ its heavy Hispanic population. And while the English version (Warner Bros. 25470) DID come out on CD then, the digital format was still considered too new for the label to issue Sonrisa Salvaje in that form. However, it DID finally come out on CD here in the U.S. in 2007, on Friday Music 1053, although it's now out-of-print (and I don't yet have it myself). The top 40 hit was of course "Yankee Rose", so again, if we're going to be completists, this one belongs in Pat's database, too. Here's a recent listing for the 2007 U.S. CD re-issue on eBay, w/ photos of both the front & back: David Lee Roth - "Sonrisa Salvaje" U.S. CD

Quote:
And wow, if those Robbie Dupree or Kim Carnes titles exist on any import CDs, please report back!

I see you already found a source for Robbie Dupree. :-) No luck yet on Kim Carnes, which is high on my list, too. (Saw her in concert once back in the late '80s, and would LOVE to see her again, but over the last 15 years, she hasn't been very active in performing, and on the rare occasions that she does, it's never here in the northeast! *sigh*) Alas, I couldn't even find "Mas Amor" on YouTube, so I've still never heard it...

Quote:
And 80sMusicFreak, for any other results you find - of these above mentioned songs in Spanish, whatever you find (especially CDs) please mention them in the forum here. Maybe we can start a new thread called "Top 40 Hits in Spanish" here, and keep an ongoing list of anything released on CD, 45, or LP.

I suggest the new thread because anyone who doesn't care about "Do That To Me One More Time" won't even know about all the artists' Spanish titles discussed above.

Actually, that thought crossed my mind back when I first started the list last Fall, since I knew the topic had been mentioned here on occasion for specific songs, and thus I did actually search this chat board's archives for some of my research purposes (along w/ several other sources); it's just that my list is still in its relative infancy, as I haven't added much to it since that initial block of time that I invested some six months ago. But when cftp broached the subject again here w/ "DTTMOMT", and then MMathews expanded on it, well, I had to jump in. :-) I'm glad to see that there is indeed additional interest here, and now that I know that, I certainly agree w/ your suggestion - so going forward, I'll post in the new thread you started about ten days ago. I intend to add some new info there in the coming days, time permitting...

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

MMathews wrote:
Sorry I missed this Q until now.... sadly I only
remember one other 45 of the ones Record World had in the
Spanish section, that I also wanted, but did not buy:
Lady by Kenny Rogers. It was yet another one that 'KTU
in NY made a Spanglish edit for.

The other tracks Chris asked me to dub for him are all
older:

Young Rascals - "Groovin" (Promo 45 with Spanish one
side, and Italian on the other)
Petula Clark - "Mon Amour" (My Love in French)
Petula Clark - "Si Tu Prenais Le Temps" (A Sign Of The
Times in French)

MM

"Lady" has been officially added to my list! The others admittedly do pre-date my era of primary interest, although I did catch The Rascals live last Summer when all four original members reunited for a brief tour, and I must say, it was pretty cool to get to see them. Thanks for the response...

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'd been procrastinating responding to this. I do have a LOT of hits redone in Spanish, but it's not organized at all.

Here, in no particular order, is a giant list of English-language hits sung in Spanish by the original artists, which I've played on Crap From The Past:

KEEP COMING BACK (Spanish version) - Richard Marx (1991)
ZOOT SUIT RIOT (Spanish version) - Cherry Poppin' Daddies (1998)
LUKA (Spanish version) - Suzanne Vega (1987)
SENTIMIENTOS [Feelings in Spanish] - Morris Albert (1975)
MICKEY (Spanish version) - Toni Basil (1982)
VUELVE A MÍ [Come Back To Me in Spanish] - Janet Jackson (1989)
NOCHE Y DÍA [Nite And Day in Spanish] - Al B. ¡Seguro! (1988)
LAGO AZUL [Blue Bayou in Spanish] - Linda Ronstadt (1978)
¡LOCO DEL CALOR! [Goin' Crazy in Spanish] - David Lee Roth (1986)
QUÉ BUENA SUERTE [Congratulations in Spanish] - Cliff Richard (1968)
I JUST CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU (Spanish version) - Michael Jackson (1987)
POR FAVOR NO TE VAYAS [Please Don't Go in Spanish] - KC and the Sunshine Band (1980)
LISTOS PARA AMAR [Yes I'm Ready in Spanish] - Teri DeSario with KC (1980)
SALSA PICANTE [Hot Sauce in Spanish] - Thomas Dolby (1988)
I'M TOO SEXY (Spanish version) - el Derecho Said Fred (1992)
DE DO DO DO DE DA DA DA (Spanish version) - The Police (1981)
SI ESTAMOS JUNTOS [We'll Be Together in Spanish] - Sting (1987)
YO VIVIRÉ [I Will Survive in Spanish] - Gloria Gaynor (1979)
DAME DAME DAME [Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight) in Spanish] - Abba (1979)
AQUÍ CONTIGO [Being With You in Spanish] - Smokey Robinson (1981)
SUKIYAKI (Spanish version) - 4 P.M. (1994)
NOCHES DE SEDA [Nights In White Satin in Spanish] - The Moody Blues (1972)
KOKOMO (Spanish version) - The Beach Boys (1988)
CALL ME (Spanish version) - Blondie (1980)
COPACABANA (Spanish version) - Barry Manilow (1978)
POR AMOR VIVIREMOS [Love Will Keep Us Together in Spanish] - El Capitan y Tennille (1975)
UN PASO ADELANTE [One Step Beyond in Spanish] - Madness (1979)
EVERGREEN (Spanish version) - Barbra Streisand (1977)
CAMA DE ROSAS [Bed Of Roses in Spanish] - Bon Jovi (1993)
MAMA MIA [in Spanish] - Abba (1982)
CONOCIENDOME CONOCIENDOTE (KNOWING ME KNOWING YOU in Spanish) - Abba (1982)
LIVIN' LA VIDA LOCA [in Spanish] - Ricky Martin (1999)
RING RING [in Spanish] - Abba (1974)
CHIQUITITA [in Spanish] - Abba (1982)
TODO LO QUE HAGO, LE HAGO POR TI [Everything I Do, I Do It For You in Spanish] - Bryan Adams (1991)
UNBREAK MY HEART [in Spanish] - Toni Braxton (1996)
CATCH ME I'M FALLING [in Spanish] - Pretty Poison (1987)
LET'S GET SERIOUS [in Spanish] - Jermaine Jackson (1980)
FERNANDO [in Spanish] - Abba (1982)
CELEBREMOS [Celebration in Spanish] - Kool and the Gang (1981)
RICO SUAVE [in Spanish] - Gerardo (1990)
GENIO ATRAPADO [Genie In A Bottle in Spanish] - Christina Aguilera (2000)
NO SE SI ES AMOR [It Must Have Been Love in Spanish!] - Roxette (1990)
ES TAN TIMIDO [He's So Shy in Spanish] - Pointer Sisters (1980)
QUIERO ENTREGARTE MI AMOR [MORE THAN YOU KNOW in Spanish] (1989)
BROKEN HEARTED ME (in Spanish) - Anne Murray (1980?)
EL PRIMER TREN (MORNING TRAIN in Spanish) - Sheena Easton (1980)
TOO MUCH TOO LITTLE TOO LATE [in Spanish] - Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams (1978)
MANDY [in Spanish] - Barry Manilow (1975)
ASI ES LA VIDA (That's Life in Spanish) - David Lee Roth (1986)
HOT ROD HEARTS (in Spanish) - Robbie Dupree (1980)
NINETEEN (in Spanish) - Paul Hardcastle (1985)
YANKEE ROSE (in Spanish) - David Lee Roth (1986)
SI NO ESTAS TU (Without You in Spanish) - Harry Nilsson (1972)
NO TE ENAMORES DE UN LOCO (Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer in Spanish) - Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes (1980)
EN MI CORAZON (You'll Be In My Heart in Spanish) - Phil Collins
HABLA EL CORAZON (Listen To Your Heart in Spanish) - Roxette
JUST ANOTHER DAY (in Spanish) - Jon Secada
NUNCA HE IDO A MI (I've Never Been To Me in Spanish) - Charlene
SWEET DREAMS (HOLA HOLA EH) (in Spanish) - La Bouche
SERA ESTO MAGIA (Could It Be Magic in Spanish) - Barry Manilow
HOT ROD HEARTS (in Spanish) - Robbie Dupree
GIRLFRIEND (in Portuguese - it's as close as I could get) - Avril Lavigne
MAS AMOR (More Love in Spanish) - Kim Carnes
UNCLE F**KA (in Spanish) - Terrance and Phillip
TOGETHER (in Spanish) - Tierra
EVIDENCE (in Spanish) - Faith No More
DAY IN DAY OUT (in Spanish) - David Bowie
POLVO EN EL VIENTO (Dust In The Wind in Spanish) - Kansas (1978)
STEAL AWAY [in Spanish] - Robbie Dupree (1980)
AMAME UNA VEZ MAS [Do That To Me One More Time in Spanish] - Captain And Tennille (1980)

You'll want to pick up the CD Stars In Spanish, which includes "Let's Get Serious" and about 10 others. It used to go for $$$$, but should have come back down to a reasonable price.

I'm sure I have more, but this should keep you busy for a while. :)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 April 2014 at 1:10pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Wow - LOTS of interesting songs on that list - and 80smusicfreak recent posts. Does anyone know if the spanish versions of Bryan Adams' ("Everything I Do...") and Anne Murray's "Broken Hearted Me" have appeared on CD anywhere?

And what CDs would contain the spanish versions of "Genie in A Bottle" and "UnBreak My Heart"?

In addition to the Carnes 45 I mentioned buying recently, I've also recently bought the CDs containing the spanish versions of "Being with You", "Evergreen" and "Without You".
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

EdisonLite wrote:
And what CDs would contain the spanish versions of "Genie in A Bottle" and "UnBreak My Heart"?

The Spanish version of "Genie In A Bottle" is on Aguilera's Mi Reflejo CD.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

The Spanish version of "Unbreak My Heart" appeared on one of the numerous commercial CD singles for the song I used to own. Sorry I have no details, my copy was long ago sold.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2014 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I wonder how difficult it is for these artists to learn how to sing their respective songs in Spanish or any other language? (And I wonder if any of them ever badly butcher their pronunciation on the recordings!)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 18 April 2014 at 6:10am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version