Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: journey database amendments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 March 2006 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

a few notes regarding some differences in journey's top 40 songs

first.......the song "lovin', touchin', squeezin'" runs 3:38 on my 45 issued as columbia 11036......it is not just an early fade of the 3:50 greatest hits cd version as listed in the database......the cd "the rockin' 70's" contains the correct 45 version and IS NOT 0:05 shorter as mentioned in the database.........the only difference between the 3:50 greatest hits version and the 45 version is one of the chorus loops at the end is edited out....both songs end cold and are NOT faded out at all.....

second....the song "seperate ways (worlds apart)" as issued on the 45 columbia 03513 is available on cd in it's 4:26 length.........the cd "gold & platinum" issued as realm records 7679 in 1986 contains the correct 4:26 45 version........

third.........the song "after the fall" issued in 1983 as columbia 04004 and running 4:20 is available on the cd soundtrack of "risky business" issued as an import and originally issued 1984 on virgin 098620

fourth....the song "suzanne" issued in 1986 as columbia 06134 actually runs 3:47 and is 0:10 LONGER than the version from the cd "raised on radio".....similiar to the song "i'll be alright without you" the 45 runs LONGER than their cd/lp counterparts...........

hope this helps

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My commercial copy of "Lovin', Touchin' Squeezin'" Columbia 11036 matrix #ZSS 166234 - 1E runs 3:44 and is not the version found on "The Rock 'n 70s" cd. On that cd, the vocals go accapella at 3:30 - not so on my commercial 45 which fades with full instrumentation.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

My 45 is the fade version as well. Must be another case of different versions on different pressings...
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

yup....looks like there are 2 versions of this song on 45.....my matrix number is "zss - 166234 - 2c"

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 April 2006 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed notes that the 45 version of "I'll Be Alright..." runs longer on the 45 than CD versions, which the database has noted as (4:33 - 45 version faded :10 early). Can the (4:50) LP version be used to add the missing 10 seconds?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To aaronk:

The 45 of "I'll Be Alright Without You" is a remix/edit of the LP version.

45 is labeled "Hot Mix" and features a Fender Rhoades piano literally drowning in reverb where on the LP mix it is drier.
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

time to dredge up this old journey thread......does anyone know if the two 45's mentioned above "suzanne" and "i'll be alright without you" can be extended to requisite 0:10 to match their 45's......for some reason the song "suzanne" is the same on the 45 and on the cd "raised on radio" except the 45 has the song slowly faded out with 0:10 of instrumention......same with the song "i'll be alright without you"....the 45 for "i'll be alright without you" states on the label "hot mix" and is also noted "re-mixed by: steve thompson and michael barbiero at media sound, nyc"......

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

ok...does anyone have the below import journey cds where MAYBE they have the correct 4:50 remix version of "i'll be alright without you"

The Journey Continues
2001 CD Sony International 2416
OR
2002 CD SME 2417

The Ballads [Japan]
2006 CD Sony Japan 947
1991 CD Sony Japan 947

thx ed

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

edtop40 wrote:
yup....looks like there are 2 versions of this song on 45.....my matrix number is "zss - 166234 - 2c"

Sorry to dredge up this thread again.

What needs to be edited out of the Greatest Hits version to make the shorter 45? And is the longer 45 just a simple fade or it is also edited?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys, both my commercial 45, and one side of my promo 45, have a listed (4:45), actual (4:42) "Hot Mix". The other side of my promo 45 has the listed & actual (4:50) "Album Version". Ed, to comment on your earlier inquiry about a (4:50) "Remix", I am of the opinion that all (4:50) versions are the LP Version, and that any remixes are limited to the actual (4:42) "Hot Mix".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I just checked my version of "I'll Be Alright..." that I have on a GoldDisc. The label says 4:36, but when I play it, it doesn't completely fade out until 4:48. Any idea which version is on the GoldDisc?
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 December 2007 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

RichM921 wrote:
I just checked my version of "I'll Be Alright..." that I have on a GoldDisc. The label says 4:36, but when I play it, it doesn't completely fade out until 4:48. Any idea which version is on the GoldDisc?

If it's GoldDisc 145 with a red label, it's the album version. I used to be very pleased with my GoldDisc library until I started actually comparing the 45 versions with TM's homemade edits. The only GoldDiscs that are of any use to me are ones with 1990 and newer CHR songs. They did actually use the original promo CD singles for all those discs. Anything from 1989 and earlier (with a few exceptions) are either mediocre vinyl transfers or homemade edits, most of which don't correctly match up to the 45s.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

Yes it is GoldDisc 145 that I have, but it's the blue label, not red. I hadn't realized before that pre-1990 edits were not genuine on GoldDisc, although from reading what people are saying about them on this board, I'm starting to believe it.

I had also assumed that another track on that disc, New Edition's "Cool It Now," was the real single version.

But that same disc also contains a fake edit of Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 December 2007 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I think the blue label discs are even older than the red. Does it, by chance, say "Century 21?"

Disc 145 is a real mess. You've already spotted their incorrect edit of "I Just Called To Say I Love You," which even an amateur could've edited properly, since there's only one edit toward the end. Regarding "Cool It Now," it wouldn't surprise me if that was the correct single version, because if you listen carefully, you'll hear that it's dubbed directly from vinyl. They didn't have very good technology to remove vinyl noise back then.

Some others on that disc that are lousy are:

"Higher Love" (first note clipped off)
"Here Comes The Rain Again" (promo version dubbed from vinyl)
"Walking On A Thin Line" (pretty sure it's an incorrect edit)
"Glory of Love," "I Love You," "Up Where We Belong," "Against All Odds" (bad noise reduction on all of them, and I'm pretty sure they were all dubbed from vinyl)

The really sad part about it is that many of those discs are still being sold to radio stations. Even when they did go back to find CD sources for some of the vinyl dubs, those were edited wrong. Other times, they used their original incorrect edit to make a better sounding incorrect edit. #%$@*#!

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 December 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

aaronk wrote:
I think the blue label discs are even older than the red. Does it, by chance, say "Century 21?"

Yes, "Century 21"

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 December 2007 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

aaronk wrote:

The Blue lettering on the Golddiscs were the originals ones put out in 1987, later refered to as Goldisc1. The red lettering were Golddisc2, and the No-Noise, black lettering are the Golddisc3. Alot of the Golddisc1's had full length cd versions. We got the Golddisc library back in 1987 when they first came out.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 August 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'd also be interested to know if the "Hot Mix" of Journey's "I'll Be Alright Without You" is close enough to the LP version in the last 30 seconds to allow for someone to tag it on to the shortened version on the Greatest Hits CD and get the correct mix and length for the single version.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 August 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have the full 45 version and can send it to you.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I appreciate that, Aaron... thanks!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

David Pro
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2020 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote David Pro

http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum
/forum_posts.asp?TID=336

On the above link regarding the 45
version of "Separate Ways (Worlds
Apart"), the version included on
the V/A compilation Gold &
Platinum Hits of the '80s Vol.