Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Don McLean-"American Pie" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 March 2006 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

Does anyone know where I can purchase commercial (Import) copies of the following DJ edits?

"Wildflower"-Skylark 3:07   (anything Canadian?)
"Reflections of My Life"-Marmalade 3:18 (dozens of British imports-none list times)

finally, "American Pie"-Don McLean 4:21. McLean's own web site mentioned this version might have been released in England in 1991 during his "comeback", but doesnt indicate if the version was pressed for disc or vinyl. Anybody know someone in England reputable who can help? Amazon UK was no help.

Which gets me to my all-time peeve-why EMI continues to release and license Part 1 of the commercial single on various compilation discs. The DJ edit has so much more flow-it SOUNDS like a rock & roll single-hits hard at the beginning and all through the song to the fade. The spoken intro of commerical single part 1 takes up too much time and then the song ends. This commercial single -part 1- was NEVER played at the time by major market AM outlets-the dj edit was played or the full length version late at night. No offense to the purists-the full length LP version is a classic-its just that you hear a certain version as a kid and you want that version. Certinly McLean himself had no input on this, for if he had-he would kill the licensing of the commerical single edit-part 1. It makes no sense.

Anybody who has any pull at EMI Capitol Special Markets that can get the DJ edit released-gracias.
Back to Top View john halloran's Profile Search for other posts by john halloran

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

John:

Is it possible that the LP version can be edited down to match the DJ edit?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

No, the DJ edit included a part in the beginning that was from an alternate take of the song, not the album version.

john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

it also had a guitar overdub at the fadeout that is non-existent on the LP
Back to Top View john halloran's Profile Search for other posts by john halloran

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 March 2006 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I've decided to take on a QUEST for the radio edit of "American Pie," a quest matching the scale and majesty of my quest to find Jimmy Dean's "I.O.U." And we all know of my triumph there. (No applause necessary, thank you. If I can bring but a little joy to a person's life, that's all the recognition I require.)

John Halloran, please describe the beginning of the radio edit fully. What is the first line sung? Does it start uptempo?

Finally, I would THINK that the radio edit would probably exist in mono only, no?

Edited by Brian W. on 24 March 2006 at 10:00pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 March 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I've got an mp3 that was re-created by Bob Radil of the promo 45 version of American Pie with as much of the track in stereo as possible (yes, some parts of it ARE mono, as i believe the promo 45 was mono on both sides for the edit).

Edited by TomDiehl1 on 25 March 2006 at 4:07pm

john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

Brian W.

The dj promo starts cold "Bye bye miss American Pie..." much in the same way as if editing out the first verse from the LP, but McLean is singing in a higher key, then it seems to be blended into the LP version with the verse, "Did you write the book of love..."

hope this helps...thanks for trying.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

To hear the promo version, right click and save this to your computer. Just clicking on the link will send you to a website saying there is a file error or the file isnt there, but it is there...American Pie (Bob Radil Stereo Promo 45 Edit)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Tom.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2006 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

No problem, thank Bob Radil for putting the thing together.....he's done a few other mp3s as well including a stereo 45 version of Joy To The World by Three Dog Night...

john halloran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 April 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote john halloran

If anyone can download to disc the Bob Radil Stereo Edit and mail it out to me, I'd be forever indebted.

Send me an e-mail and I will gladly write a check to cover postage and materials.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My "Part I" commercial 45 for this, which is stereo, has a listed time of (4:11), but an actual time of (4:06).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I have to wonder if EMI can even find the DJ edit of American Pie. I believe that version only went out once, and stations were never serviced it again. I remember when stations wore out the DJ copy they either switched to part one from the stock, or started the stock part 1 at "So Bye Bye Miss American Pie", or played the full version. It only took me 20 years to find a copy of it.. I have three copies now, all are mono, both sides of all of them are mono. I've never heard it or seen it in stereo.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 November 2015 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I've read that there was an edited version that was originally issued in some countries overseas. Does anyone know if this was the same version as the US promo version?
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 November 2015 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Fetta wrote:
I've read that there was an edited version
that was originally issued in some countries overseas.
Does anyone know if this was the same version as the US
promo version?

No, it's not. That has actually been issued on several
comps.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version