Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 November 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

In working with the thread for "The Message", I discovered that it's quite helpful to momentarily mono-out the output. If it sounds garbled, you can probably trace it back to tape head misalignment for the analog transfer. If the high frequencies disappear, there may be a shift of a sample or two between the left and right digital channels. If you mono it out and it sounds basically the same, that's a good thing.

So imagine my surprise when I had the mono button still in, and I heard a really garbled version of "I Want Candy" from Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 5 (1994). Bad tape head alignment, or just bad source tapes. Unfortunately, there are quite a few CDs that use the same analog transfer as Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 5, including:
  • Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough New Wave Women (1994; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Warner Special Products' 18 Modern Rock Classics (1996; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Rhino's Millennium New Wave Party (1999)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002)
Going farther back in time, there was an earlier analog transfer done for Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 9 (1993). This one is free from the muddiness when you mono it out, which is nice, but has its left and right channels reversed compared to the Rhino discs. It's actually my preferred mastering for the song. Based on my experience with Priority discs, I'd guess that Rock Of The '80s Vol. 9 uses the same analog transfer as a pre-1993 Bow Wow Wow single-artist disc, but I don't know of one. The same analog transfer is used for:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 1 1982-1983 (1999)
Finally, a straggler to avoid because it cuts off the closing drumbeat: Sony Germany's 2-CD Rock And Wave Vol. 1 (1992). This has the same left/right arrangement as the Rhino disc.

So I recommend using the Priority disc as your source, then switching the left and right channels.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 20 November 2013 at 9:01pm

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2018 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

https://theseconddisc.com/2018/04/so-sweet-it-makes-your-mou th-water-cherry-red-plans-bow-wow-wow-box/

This May, Cherry Red is looking back to New Wave music of the early 1980s with a collection focused on the band Bow Wow Wow.   The 3-CD Your Box Set Pet: The Complete Recordings 1980-1984, due May 25, rounds up all of the groupfs recordings for EMI and RCA during their heyday.

It will have 2 versions of I Want Candy

I Want Candy (USA 12 Re-Mix)
I Want Candy (Single Version)

what do we know about these compared to the common version out there on Rhino comps?
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2023 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Out of curiosity, I revisited the Rhino file.

I discovered that the left and right channels are out of sync by exactly one sample.

If you fix the synch issue, the fixed file sounds terrific!

Edited by crapfromthepast on 17 October 2023 at 9:29pm

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2023 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Indy500 wrote:

I Want Candy (USA 12″ Re-Mix)
I Want Candy (Single Version)

what do we know about these compared to the common version out there on Rhino comps?

The single version runs 2:44 and is as released on 7". The same version is on the I Want Candy LP and "Last of the Mohicans" EP.

On some compilation CDs, the extra drum hits after the fade are omitted.

The 12" remix is by Mark Kamins & Ivan Ivan and is audibly different throughout, and runs 3:31. It was released on a UK 12" and a US promo 12". On the Cherry Red CD box set, it's mastered from vinyl.

Edited by mjb50 on 19 October 2023 at 5:27pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version