Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stray Cats - Rock This Town Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The album version and the 45 edit are both in mono. Neato, and a nice throwback to the '50s songs that inspired "Rock This Town".

The 45 edit appeared on:
  • Rhino's Rock This Town Rockabilly Hits Vol. 2 (1991 - sounds very nice here)
  • EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 3 (1994; sounds better on Rhino CDs)
  • Time-Life's Sounds OF The Eighties Vol. 26 Rolling Stone 1982-1983 (1995; uses same analog transfer as Rock This Town)
  • Rhino's Millennium New Wave Party (1999; uses same analog transfer as Rock This Town)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002)
The LP version is very easy to find on CD, but sounds quality varies tremendously from disc-to-disc. There was a high-generation tape source used for Warner Special Products' 2-CD Mystic Music Presents Good Times (1991). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Sandstone's Reelin' In The Years Vol. 1 (1991 - I think; not 100% sure)
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993)
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 13 The Early '80s (1994; digitally exactly 0.9 dB louder than Totally '80s)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rock Box (1994; L/R channels off by one sample, which screws up the soundstage - avoid)
  • JCI's Only Dance 1980-1984 (1995)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1982 (1996)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Essential '80s (1998; digitally exactly 0.9 dB louder than Totally '80s)
  • Universal's Pure '80s (1999; different EQ and added compression to Only Dance)
All of the above sound OK, except where noted. I would guess that EMI's Best Of - Rock This Town would sound better, although I don't have this disc. I would also guess that the following discs use the same analog transfer:
  • Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 4 Party On (1992; too loud and clips a lot - avoid)
  • Simitar's Number Ones The '80s (1998)
  • EMI's Ten Best Series (1998)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance (1999; differently EQ'd digital clone of 10 Best Series)
The LP version sounds terrible on Arista Germany's Stray Cats. If you want to create the 45 edit, remove the portion from 2:05.6 to 2:51.4 of the LP version, from snare hit to snare hit (timings from 10 Best Series, which sounds the best to my ears). The edit is on the snare after the word "town" and before the word "rock".

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 October 2013 at 1:56pm

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

My CD copies of both the album version and 45 edit have audible tape splices at 0:09 and 0:14, as well as a faint echo of someone singing off-mic at 0:10. The 45 edit at 2:05 also sounds like it was done with a razor blade, although it's not as obvious as the ones during the intro.
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version