Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Electric Avenue" - Eddy Grant Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 July 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding Eddy Grant's "Electric Avenue", Abagon informs me the commercial 45 and LP both have an actual run time of 3:46 (the printed time on both is 3:47). I only pass this along because database CDs containing this song run 3:43-3:48.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 July 2013 at 10:14pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:09am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'd love to hear Ron's review of the various releases of this song. I have eleven copies in my collection, and normally I'd pick the version with the greatest dynamic range.

In this case, I'm wondering if some releases were fed through a compressor and, between the sharp drum hits on the recording and the overshoots of an audio compressor, they ended up with an artificially inflated dynamic range.

I've also noticed some speed differences, and I don't have a speed-accurate dub of the 45 to compare.

Many of these are close enough that I suspect they are clones, perhaps just differently EQ'd.

Maybe it's just because it's three in the morning, but I'm having a terrible time sorting out the version from the lowest resolution master tape with the highest dynamic range.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

My go to version is the same as Ron's, the 1983 Billboard Top Hits from Rhino Gene.

I've listened to the others and have to concur with Ron.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Based on people playing the 45 on YouTube, the fade should end during a "whoa" about 7.3s after the downbeat with the vocal "Brix-ton-ah". I can't say for sure if the speed is accurate on any of those rips.

What I can say is there are differences in tape speed and where the fade ends on the four CD masterings I have:

Killer on the Rampage album (2008 EU deluxe CD) = DR 13, 3:45.7, fade ends in correct spot.

Billboard Top Hits - 1983 = 0.5% slower than album, DR 13, 3:46.9, fade ends in correct spot.

Like, Omigod! = slightly louder/lightly clipped digital clone of what's on Billboard Top Hits - 1983, DR 12.

Laser Rock = 0.7% slower than album, DR 15 but has phase issues, 3:45.0, fade ends 2.3s early (5.0s after start of "Brix-ton-ah").

I agree, the Billboard Top Hits - 1983 mastering is the best. Its waveform is inverted as compared to the others, but that should be harmless.

Looking forward to Ron's notes and if anyone has an accurate time from the actual 45.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The oldest CD with "Electric Avenue" is likely Realistic's Laser Rock (1984), which was released through Radio Shack. It sounds all kinds of terrible here, with seemingly high-generation source tapes. It runs about 6 beats shorter than the 45. It also runs at 121.05 BPM, in case you need that particular number. Avoid.

There's a better analog transfer on Columbia's Seems Like Yesterday Vol. 4 (1990). It's a little muffled-sounding, but it runs the full length of the 45. It runs at 121.42 BPM.

There's a stellar analog transfer on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1983 (1992). It runs out to the full length of the 45, and runs at 121.35 BPM. The sound quality is terrific: listen to the intro in headphones, and you'll hear the crisp hi-hat, and some nice reverb on the snare. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 11 1983-1984 (1995) - differently EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance (1999) - differently EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's Modern Rock '80s Grooves (1999)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002)
  • Rhino's promo Selections From Like Omigod (PRCD 400056, 2002)
  • TM Century track no. 00020564 - may be a small amount of added noise reduction?
There's a new analog transfer on Sony's budget Big Hits Of The '80s (1993). It sounds so-so here, being a little more muffled than the Rhino discs. It runs out to the full length of the 45, and runs at 121.29 BPM. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993)
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1980-1984 (1994)
  • TM Century track no. 00000496 - has significant added noise reduction and fades a little early; avoid
  • swaitek's promo 50-CD The A-List Disc 17 (1994) - sounds just like TM Century, with significant added noise reduction and fades a little early; avoid
There was a new analog transfer on EMI UK's Time To Remember 1983 (1997, also sold under name CDCard). It fades about 6 beats earlier than the 45. It runs 121.95 BPM here. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997) - fade is 4 beats shorter and a little muffled-sounding; added noise reduction?
  • Disky's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The '80s (1998)
  • EMI UK's 2-CD Now The Millennium Series 1983 (1999) - fade is 8 beats shorter
Finally, there was a new analog transfer on the rare Epic 50th Anniversary Collection (2003). It sounds nice here, and runs 121.70 BPM. You'll have a very difficult time finding this set, and it really doesn't sound any better than the Rhino discs.

My recommendation

Go with Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1983 (1992). It's cheap, and it sounds great.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2023 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

This was exactly what I needed; thank you so much!!

There wasn't a version that I had that you didn't list. This allowed me to quickly knock my choices down to the Rhino version vs. Razor & Tie's version.

While I agree with you that the Rhino version is brighter and crisper, to me the eq on the Razor & Tie version sounds a little more "natural" to me, a little smoother.

Additionally, the dynamics are a little more "controlled" on the Rhino / Billboard disc. It's not digitally limited exactly, but maybe slightly more dynamics compression? The Razor & Tie version gives you a db or 2 more of dynamic range.

To the credit of the Rhino version, it is clearly a more recent transfer, using more modern A/D converters. The Rhino version is also better centered compared to the Razor & Tie version.

I'm sure not getting rid of my Rhino version... but for now I'm going to try the Totally '80s version on the air.

Thank you so much again for your expert research and advice!!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

does anyone know if the first version of 'Electric Avenue'
which MTV played often in 1983 was ever issued on cd?

I don't remember the specifics but I remember that there
was a different version at first.

Maybe it was the video edit?

Edited by edtop40 on 29 May 2023 at 11:22am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version