Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Stars on 45 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 March 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote anthology123

I just wanted to confirm that the original #1 medley Stars on 45 is just an
edit of the Stars on Long Play version, just at the point where Venus starts. Is
there a single edit already on CD? I have not seen one. I had seen a listing
for a comp in Europe that might have it.
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

The U.S. version of the original Stars On 45 medley is actually an edit of the 12" single, omitting the "Stars On 45" intro and beginning with "Venus". On the Stars on Long Play LP, "Venus" and "Sugar Sugar" actually appear on the Boogie Nights medley on Side 2 (the Beatles medley is on Side 1).

The U.S. 45 can be found on the Varese comp "Then Totally 80s 2" and also on an old OOP RCA comp from 1991 called "Keep On Dancing". IMO, it sounds better on the Keep On Dancing comp.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

it's unfortunate that none of their US LPs have gotten an exact CD release.
I have a number of "stars on" imports, and while they are all loaded with
most of the medleys recorded, they are often either edited, or songs
within medleys are completely rearranged and out of order from the
original versions, or missing a few tracks from the original medleys.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

budaniel wrote:
it's unfortunate that none of their US LPs have gotten an exact CD release.
I have a number of "stars on" imports, and while they are all loaded with
most of the medleys recorded, they are often either edited, or songs
within medleys are completely rearranged and out of order from the
original versions, or missing a few tracks from the original medleys.

Yes, none of the Stars On Long Play LPs have been released on CD in their original form. It's not even possible to recreate the full LPs from the bits & pieces that have appeared on CD. The 2nd half of the Abba medley and the majority of the Rolling Stones medley have never been released on CD.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I have a reissue CD single on ZYX, featuring two mixes. The first mix is around 4:48, and from it, you can create the US single version by cutting about 40 seconds at the beginning. Just cut after two bars of the Venus intro guitar to "Sugar Sugar". In doing so, you'll lose the first inclusion of the STARS ON 45 THEME.

There's also a mix that runs close to 10 minutes. I'm not familiar with this.

I believe this ZYX disc is a domestic pressing. I'll see if I can find it.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 3:37am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Does anyone know if the "Stars on 45" theme, the B-side to the Stars on 45 "Medley" single, has ever been issued on CD? It runs 3:33 and is simply called "Stars on 45."

I don't see it included in any of the Stars on 45 compilations. A portion of it opens the long version of the Beatles Medley, but I don't see the whole thing on CD anywhere.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Brian W. wrote:
Does anyone know if the "Stars on 45" theme, the B-side to the Stars on 45 "Medley" single, has ever been issued on CD? It runs 3:33 and is simply called "Stars on 45."

I don't see it included in any of the Stars on 45 compilations. A portion of it opens the long version of the Beatles Medley, but I don't see the whole thing on CD anywhere.

No, the "Stars on 45" B-side has never been issued on CD to my knowledge. I have checked many imports over the years for the Stars on 45 tracks, and this one has never turned up.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I notice parts of the "Stars on 45 Theme" are spliced throughout the medleys found on CD. Is it possible to assemble these parts together and come up with the complete "Stars on 45 Theme"?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Todd Ireland wrote:
I notice parts of the "Stars on 45 Theme" are spliced throughout the medleys found on CD. Is it possible to assemble these parts together and come up with the complete "Stars on 45 Theme"?

No, that wouldn't be possible. The "Stars on 45" b-side consisted of a remix of the Stars on 45 theme starting with an extended instrumental then leading into a stripped down mix of the "You can boogie, love disco" vocal. Also interspersed are the cowbell intro of "Funkytown" and it fades out with the instrumental intro of "Video Killed The Radio Star". Only the full mix of the "Stars on 45" theme has appeared on CD.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Roscoe wrote:
   Only the full mix of the "Stars on 45" theme has appeared on CD.

So it's not possible to edit the short mix from that? What CD is that on?

Edited by Brian W. on 30 August 2008 at 12:42pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Brian W. wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
   Only the full mix of the "Stars on 45" theme has appeared on CD.

So it's not possible to edit the short mix from that? What CD is that on?

I probably used a poor choice of terminology. By "full mix" I meant the mix with fuller instrumentation and vocals. This mix of the Stars on 45 theme is what appeared on the original "Stars on Long Play" LP, but it's still brief, consisting of 4 repeats of the "ooh-ooh" vocal riff, the "you can boogie" lyric, then the familiar "the Stars on 45 keeps on turning in your mind..." refrain. You can find this snippet on the "Very Best Of Stars on 45" import CD where it is used as the opening of the long Beatles medley, as it was on the original LP.

The "Stars on 45" b-side used a stripped down version of the theme, with some of the instrumental and vocal elements mixed out.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Roscoe wrote:
The U.S. version of the original Stars On 45 medley is actually an edit of the 12" single, omitting the "Stars On 45" intro and beginning with "Venus". On the Stars on Long Play LP, "Venus" and "Sugar Sugar" actually appear on the Boogie Nights medley on Side 2 (the Beatles medley is on Side 1).

I also know that the Beatles Medley II single (which came out in Canada in the summer of 1981, and I know WBUF 93.3 in Buffalo, NY played it) can be edited from the CD reissue of Stars on Long Play (but not the LP issue). The LP does not contain "From Me To You", but the CD does.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Jody Thornton wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

I also know that the Beatles Medley II single (which came out in Canada in the summer of 1981, and I know WBUF 93.3 in Buffalo, NY played it) can be edited from the CD reissue of Stars on Long Play (but not the LP issue). The LP does not contain "From Me To You", but the CD does.

Actually the segue between "A Hard Day's Night" and "Please Please Me" on the Medley II 45 is problematic in trying to recreate from the long medley on CD. The problem is that on the CD (and original LP), the last note of "Hard Day's Night" is cut short with "Things We Said Today" coming in before the downbeat; on the "Medley II" 45, that last note of "Hard Day's Night" is held until the next downbeat.

It's only about a half second, but it doesn't appear anywhere on the long (LP) medley. I spliced in that half second from the 45 to recreate the "Medley II" single version.

Edited by Roscoe on 15 February 2009 at 7:39am

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Actually the segue between "A Hard Day's Night" and "Please Please Me" on the Medley II 45 is problematic in trying to recreate from the long medley on CD. The problem is that on the CD (and original LP), the last note of "Hard Day's Night" is cut short with "Things We Said Today" coming in before the downbeat; on the "Medley II" 45, that last note of "Hard Day's Night" is held until the next downbeat.

It's only about a half second, but it doesn't appear anywhere on the long (LP) medley. I spliced in that half second from the 45 to recreate the "Medley II" single version.[/QUOTE]

What I did is grab it from the "Hard Day's Night" chorus. Right after he sings "Night...", I grab from the clap to the bass drum downbeat, and I paste it right after "All Right...". Then I join it to the beginning of "Please, Please Me"

The other hard one is ridding of the "Boogie, Love Disco"... at the end, but I just use one beat from the "Stars on 45" segue in the middle of the two Beatle medleys.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Jody Thornton wrote:

What I did is grab it from the "Hard Day's Night" chorus. Right after he sings "Night...", I grab from the clap to the bass drum downbeat, and I paste it right after "All Right...". Then I join it to the beginning of "Please, Please Me"

The other hard one is ridding of the "Boogie, Love Disco"... at the end, but I just use one beat from the "Stars on 45" segue in the middle of the two Beatle medleys.

The segue you have described will produce a very close approximation of the 45, but not quite. There are 2 guitar strums after "...night", but only one strum at the end of the "feel all right". That one strum ending is cut short on the LP version.

Definitely nitpicky I know, but I struggled for years to correctly recreate this segue.

Also, an easier way to avoid editing out the "you can boogie" section is to just use the whole "Stars on 45" snippet that appears in shortened form between "Wait" and "Good Day Sunshine".

Even more frustrating is the "Fingertips" segue on the "Stars on 45 III" 45 version. That segue does not appear on the LP version either, and the 45 has a sonic signature that is vastly different than the LP (possibly a higher generation source, and some subtle mix variation). I was not able to paste this in to the CD version without a noticeable difference.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Roscoe wrote:

Also, an easier way to avoid editing out the "you can boogie" section is to just use the whole "Stars on 45" snippet that appears in shortened form between "Wait" and "Good Day Sunshine".

Ah but see here's where I got nitpicky ...lol (this is fun). See the second "ooooh-ooooh" on that part after "Wait" is differently mixed (oh so slightly) than the second one after "Hold Your Hand". And the latter is used on the single. In your example, I would've repeated the beginning of the single, again at the end. And tailed on the fading "oooh's". Whereas I just used the last clap before "The Stars....")

I can send you what I did. I do also have the authentic single but it's too worn.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Jody Thornton wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Ah but see here's where I got nitpicky ...lol (this is fun). See the second "ooooh-ooooh" on that part after "Wait" is differently mixed (oh so slightly) than the second one after "Hold Your Hand". And the latter is used on the single. In your example, I would've repeated the beginning of the single, again at the end. And tailed on the fading "oooh's". Whereas I just used the last clap before "The Stars....")

I can send you what I did. I do also have the authentic single but it's too worn.

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Jody Thornton wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

I'll be damned; I never noticed that before. I didn't have a chance to retrieve my 45, but on the Very Best Of Stars On 45 CD, the mix of the "Stars on 45" refrain is different on the short "Wait-Good Day Sunshine" interlude than on the last segment after "I Want To Hold Your Hand". There are some subtle horns in the mix on the last segment that aren't there on the "Wait" segment. Is this the same on the 45?

Also, I'm sure you also noticed that the "Very Best Of" CD version of the Beatles medley is considerably slower than either the Stars On Long Play LP or the Medley II 45.

Wow, I had no idea that there was anyone in the world who even remembered the "Medley II", let alone could pick over mix difference minutiae. LOL. The "Medley II" single didn't chart very well, which was surprising given the huge success of the first medley. I think they should have either shortened it by starting with the "My Sweet Lord" segment, or used portions of an earlier part of the LP medley beginning with "Ticket To Ride" and ending with "Wait".

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Yes the horns on the refrain, and the humming tones on the second oooh - oooh - ohhhh on the final time (just before the refrain) are transferred to and intelligible on the 45-rpm disc.

It is very interesting that you noted the "extended" medley starting with "Ticket to Ride" and ending with "Wait". A Toronto radio station, CFTR (an AM CHR station at the time), carted up a unique custom version of the "first medley". It was essentially the first single, but with the extended portion included, after "...Lose That Girl", and then the Stars on 45 theme from the single, but after "Wait". So they likely had to use on of those 10 minute carts to put it on. I'm sure that they edited it from an LP copy, using Venus and Sugar, Sugar from Side 2, and the rest from Side 1.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Now one really important clarification here.

If you're talking about the three "climbing guitar notes" that start between "No No Nooooo"....and "The Stars on 45", then no - those NEVER appear on any 45-rpm versions nor is it on the middle segue on the LP either.

Sorry to be anal. I was such a geek at 11 years of age in 1981. I was oblivious to pop culture most of the time, but I loved the radio!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version