Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: madonna--lucky star Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 July 2023 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I'm the one that originally brought up the fade oddity,
on Madonna Infinity.

No, the fade is not longer, but it's a bit louder, which
indicates to me that it could be a recreated fade. The
fade is louder after a certain point... it decays more
slowly than the actual 45, but it stops at the same
point. There is also no tape hiss audible at the very end
of the song at all.

Whether this is indicative of a recreation, or whether
the edit was faded live on-the-fly during the first 45
mastering and all future pressings were made from the
backup cutting master, necessitating a digital recreation
if they were going to use the first-generation edit, I'm
not sure.

I have also suspected that of the digital 7" version of
"Holiday," since that had a longer fadeout than the 45
but the edit points seem to be correct.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Ron S wrote:
Is this the correct 45 version of the song? [link to Feb. 2018 upload by YouTube user Single Versions, Edits, & Promos]

aaronk wrote:
You're right that it's a straight edit of the LP version, but I'm not sure if the YouTube video is 100% accurate. It looks to be someone's homemade edit based on the original 45. It may be correct, but it's hard to say what the source is.

Aaron is right. I have confirmed that this particular YouTube clip is indeed someone's re-creation. They got the edit point at 3:08 just slightly off. I didn't check the other points.

smallworld wrote:
This video from a vinyl source has the abrupt edit circa 3:08 (about 3:17 in the video, there's 10 seconds of silence at the outset). The last audible lyric is "alright", as in "starlight, starbright you make everything alright". Is this the correct fade? [link to Aug. 2016 upload by YouTube user Cletus Hunnicutt]

That clip is a legit vinyl transfer. The fade is right but if you listen carefully (really crank it up), it actually continues slightly further. "Whatcha do to me baby" is audible, the last word almost totally buried in the noise. Total duration is about 3:49.

elcolleccionista wrote:
Here's one of the YouTube sources for the original edit. [link to Jan. 2011 upload by YouTube user MadonnaGreatestMusik]

That clip is also an authentic vinyl transfer, but someone cut off the fade early.

Kiefer2 wrote:
The 7" version is now available on streaming and download. People say it is accurate, but there is some question about the fade being longer. It is remastered, but the consensus is it's not jarring.

Brian W. wrote:
No, the fade is not longer, but it's a bit louder, which indicates to me that it could be a recreated fade.

In the 2023 digital release, the edit is accurate (true to the original 45). I don't think it's a reconstruction. But yes, the fade had to be redone, and its slope is not quite a perfect match for the 45. The duration of the fade is accurate, with the "whatcha do to me baby" being the last audible lyric. As for the mastering, if you set aside how brickwalled it is (DR 6), it does sound quite good. Well, it's anachronistic, but good. Since it was never released on CD, nobody in the general public ever heard it with
such fidelity before now.

Edited by mjb50 on 22 March 2024 at 11:49pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version