Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sexual Healing question.. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 February 2006 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

hey guys,

I'm wondering about the various versions of Sexual Healing on the Midnight Love reissue. I have a 12" single version (a CBS reissue) that runs about 4:44, and begins with the "get up, wake up" whispered echoes shortly into the percussion intro.

I have a version on the Canadian SPG Music compilation "Old School Jams 4" that runs 4:49 and is called the "alternate Vocal Mix", and the opening lines soon after the percussion intro are "oh baby let's get down tonight". This version comes in oddly on the opening percussion, as if it cuts into it rather than starts cleanly on the beat. Also, whereas there's a huge blank spot in the middle of the vinyl mix that has just background vocals, the SPG mix has a load of extra lyrical ad-libs by Marvin that aren't on the original versions of this song.

so my questions are:

1) is the "alternate vocal version" I have the same as the one on the Midnight Love reissue--including the added ad-libs and the odd opening of the song?

2) is the vinyl 12" version I have the same as the "original vocal version" Pat has listed on the Midnight Love reissue, which says it runs 4:39?

3) finally, what makes the LP version different from the 45 version, and why is the 45 version slightly longer? I have the "LP version" on Chart toppers 80s, romantic hits of the 80s."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 February 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron reported the differences between the 45 version and LP version about a year ago. The 45 is longer than the LP version and that is because of an extra :08 of singing that starts at 3:20.

The "original vocal version" on the cd "Midnight Love & The Sexual Healing Sessions" has the line "Oh baby let's get down tonight" at the start of the song with no preceding instrumentation. This version does not start with "get up, wake up" near the beginning of the song so I do not think it is what you have on your 12" single.

The "alternate vocal" version has the line "Oh baby let's get down tonight" starting at exactly :11 and appears to be the version you have on your "Old School Jams 4" cd but since I do not have that cd I can't say for certain this is correct.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 February 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

okay. thanks Pat. This 12" vinyl version is really a mystery. I don't even know if the song was ever released on a 12" version before this re-issue.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2006 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

It wasn't issued commercially in the US until 1989, when CBS released it as part of their Mixed Masters 12" reissue series. It has "The Groove" by Rodney Franklin on the B-side, is still in print today. Interestingly enough, it was released on a 12" back 1982 in the UK.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

yeah. the mixed master version is the one I have. Upon listening to it, it's actually not very interesting. The "alternate take", which runs just as long, is more about the Marvin's vocals creating the length, rather than repetitive dub-type filler to create an "extended version", which is what the 12" version is guilty of.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

budaniel wrote:
okay. thanks Pat. This 12" vinyl version is really a mystery. I don't even know if the song was ever released on a 12" version before this re-issue.

Only as an import. The US 12" single that was available at the time was a promotional only pressing for radio and club DJ's.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I think CBS must have just been throwing darts at a clock when deciding what timings to list on releases of "Sexual Healing."

Discogs says that UK release claims the "Club Mix" is 4:40. A friend sent me an mp3 of that same record... and it runs about 6:28.

The Mexican release of the 12" claims IT runs 6:51!

Then, supposedly, there is a US-only promo that was released with an instrumental-only version for that A-side... that's supposed to run 5:30.

Another UK 12" lists the album version and the alternate versions mentioned above, none of the lengths matching previously claimed OR confirmed lengths.

There's another European 12" with a "long version" on one side and a "short version" on the other... the short version is said to run 3:59, and that sounds right... but the long version is listed as 4:47... could that be the alternative version? Who knows!

This supposed US release claims a long version at 5:10!

I've found mp3s of the song online that run 6:30 (Club Version), 7:41 (Rock Savage Mix), 4:49 (Alternate Vocal Mix), 4:40 (Original Vocal), and 6:54 (Long Version).

I've also seen mentions online of a "Thiago Correa Samba-rock Mix," an "Ultimix," and a "Dreamtime Mix." Obviously many of these could be mixes created in later years... but who knows?

Who knows where those labels came from, if they are the original description of the versions...

...Will the REAL 1982 12" extended version please stand up?!? :-(

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2012 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Found one of my older posts to explain the difference
between the LP and 45 versions...

crapfromthepast wrote:
Been comparing the shorter LP
version to the longer 45 version, and I think I found a
motivation for why there's an edit.

On the 45, in the 16 beats from 1:49 to 1:59, Marvin
sings "Get up, get up, get up, get up". (This is
new info, not noted in the above posts.) To my ears,
hearing these words actually sung (not
whispered) sounds a little jarring, and my guess
is that someone at Columbia thought the same thing.

The 16-beat whispered portion, from 3:20 to 3:30 on the
45, was then cut out and used to replace the sung 16
beats from 1:49-1:59. The resulting edit (now 10 seconds
shorter than the 45) became the album version and was
subsequently used on nearly every CD version of the song.

You can tell that the events happened in this sequence
because there are edits at 1:50 and 2:00 in the edited
album version (at the beginning and end of the
"whispered" portion), but no such edits at 1:50 and 2:00
in the original 45 version (at the beginning and end of
the "sung" portion).

FYI - The edits show up as slight misalignments in the
drum machine beats, which are visible in sound editing
software.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I had the promo 12" single on the turntable today, so I thought I'd report on its contents.

Side A
Long Version (printed 5:10; actual 4:49)
Side B
Short Version (printed 3:52; actual 4:08)

The Long Version has a different vocal take in places when compared with the Short Version (aka 45 version). This version does not appear on the Midnight Love/Sexual Healing Sessions at all. I'm wondering, however, if we can trace its origins by listening to the "Original Vocal Version" on that disc. This version is actually an acapella that is double-tracked in a few places. The final LP and 45 mix doesn't appear to have those double-tracked vocals, and neither does the promo 12" Long Version. I think what may have happened when the Long Version was mixed is that they chose the other vocal in some places (the one that didn't get chosen for the LP mix).

All that said, it seems that the Long Version was never really intended to be an "extended mix" done after the fact. I think it was possibly one of several mixes created at or around the same time that the 45 and LP mix was done.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version