Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Michael Jackson - the 45 versions on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 August 2008 at 4:51am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian:

If you order the red-covered King of Pop import disc, please let us know if it finally contains the long awaited CD debut of the "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" 45 version. After all the disappointments and letdowns we've experienced with trying to get the correct version on CD over the years, I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the producers of the King of Pop CD actually took the time to go back into the vaults and use the single version master.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 August 2008 at 4:59am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Nick2341
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Nick2341

I can confirm Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' is the CORRECT version everyone's been waiting for. I downloaded the album (I know, bad me) because I had to see if it was 100% true. No horn chop off, no poorly edited sections at the end. We got it.
Back to Top View Nick2341's Profile Search for other posts by Nick2341 Visit Nick2341's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Nick2341 wrote:
I can confirm Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' is the CORRECT version everyone's been waiting for. I downloaded the album (I know, bad me) because I had to see if it was 100% true. No horn chop off, no poorly edited sections at the end. We got it.

Well, that's great news and quite surprising! Someone finally made the effort to use the correct version. Maybe the 45 master was more readily available (i.e. easy to find) in the U.K. Thanks for taking the chance.

How's the sound quality? So many CD issues these days have the levels maximized to be LOUD...is that the case here?
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Nick2341
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Nick2341

Well it's just MP3s from a torrent site, but it's mastered like anything else these days. Pretty loud, but from the "look" of some of the waveforms they didn't squash the mid-band as much as was done on the Essential Collection. I'll have to let you know more when I get home and listen on good speakers.
Back to Top View Nick2341's Profile Search for other posts by Nick2341 Visit Nick2341's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Nick2341 wrote:

Hallelujah!!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote waldo

FANTASTIC NEWS!! i got it last night.. picked the CD up in HMV.. and yes it is the 45 !!!!!!!!!! :D

it sounds amazing, the "You're A Vegetable" slightly in the right channel at around 1:47 really DOES jumps out at you. and the "monkey" sound that Brian described has gone. lol

moreover.. this compilation also has the Beat It 45 too.. ending at the "woo-hoo".. on the LP you hear another "no one wants to be [defeated].." right after that. i think the 45 was only on the UK Tour Souvenir set back in 1992.

i'm going to purchase the 3cd set next month.. maybe they will include the Off The Wall 45..

Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

Nick2341
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Nick2341

The 3 CD set has the album version of Off The Wall.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

For those who have the actual 45 of "Wanna Be Startin' Something," did the 45 always have that little "click" at (2:46)? I don't ever remember hearing it that way on radio.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I always thought "Beat It" was LP length everywhere. Are there any characteristics that differ on the King of Pop?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Nick2341 wrote:
The 3 CD set has the album version of Off The Wall.

Boo! This is another one that I would love to have on CD, although my needledrop of the 45 sounds pretty good. Well, at least we get "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", which I have never been happy with as a needledrop.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

waldo wrote:
FANTASTIC NEWS!! i got it last night.. picked the CD up in HMV.. and yes it is the 45 !!!!!!!!!! :D

it sounds amazing, the "You're A Vegetable" slightly in the right channel at around 1:47 really DOES jumps out at you. and the "monkey" sound that Brian described has gone. lol

moreover.. this compilation also has the Beat It 45 too.. ending at the "woo-hoo".. on the LP you hear another "no one wants to be [defeated].." right after that. i think the 45 was only on the UK Tour Souvenir set back in 1992.

i'm going to purchase the 3cd set next month.. maybe they will include the Off The Wall 45..

Terrific news, Waldo. Now every 45 version of every Michael Jackson song has appeared on CD, somewhere in the world. The "rarest" is now officially the 45 version of "Human Nature," which has still only been issued on one CD. Unless it's on one of these dozen or so different "King of Pop" comps around the world.

I already got shipping confirmation from Amazon UK, so I should get my one-disc by the end of next week. I probably won't order the upcoming three-disc set, since I already own every song on it.

Edited by Brian W. on 30 August 2008 at 12:46pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

brian

my commercial 45 compared to the essential cd are the same....where exactly is the "you're" and "a" "too get over" most noticible.....because the below stated located at the beginning of the song at the 0:25 mark both the essential and 45 versions sound the same....can anyone give me specific times on the recording where these differences are and what the precise run time of these differences......thx

Also, there is a teeny difference in the opening "You're too high to get over" on the single. On the 12-inch, it's "A-too high to get over," not "YOU'RE too high to get over," which it clearly is on the 45.

Edited by edtop40 on 30 August 2008 at 4:58pm

Nick2341
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2008 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Nick2341

Roscoe wrote:
Nick2341 wrote:
The 3 CD set has the album version
of Off The Wall.

Boo! This is another one that I would love to have on CD, although my
needledrop of the 45 sounds pretty good. Well, at least we get "Wanna Be
Startin' Somethin'", which I have never been happy with as a
needledrop.

There's still hope for the Japanese version. It has Off The Wall listed as 3:47.

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2008 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote waldo

eriejwg wrote:
I always thought "Beat It" was LP length everywhere. Are there any characteristics that differ on the King of Pop?

it just fades earlier, as stated on page 1

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 September 2008 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote waldo

anyone purchased The Essential Michael Jackson 3.0, did they use correct single edits on the third disc, or anything else special about them?

1. Can't Get Outta The Rain
2. Say, Say, Say
3. Jam
4. They Don't Care About Us
5. Blood On The Dance Floor
6. Stranger In Moscow
7. Butterflies
8. One More Chance

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Got "King of Pop." It's the 45 version. Loud and compressed, like all the recent MJ CDs, but it's the true 45 version.

I do have to say, they faded it out a second or two earlier than they needed to (you know how they "help" the fadeout on songs to get rid of hiss at the end).
So for myself I was able to seamlessly dub in the fadeout from the extended mix to bring it more in line with what's on the 45. Course, I had to bump the volume up on the extended mix by 5.5 decibals to match the "King of Pop" version, but...

I actually think Aaron's clean 45 dub has as good or better sound quality.

Edited by Brian W. on 04 September 2008 at 3:52pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian, I was just comparing the dub I did about a year ago, and it does sound as good as the CD version. The copy I used for that dub had probably never been played. As I recall, there were only one or two clicks during the entire song, so all I really did was reduce the surface noise slightly.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

So if I understand correctly, the new "Visionary" CD has the Remixed Short Version of "Thriller" (sans Vincent?)

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Jody Thornton wrote:
So if I understand correctly, the new "Visionary" CD has the Remixed Short Version of "Thriller" (sans Vincent?)

Correct. It's not NEW -- it's actually out of print -- but it's still widely available. It's the box to hold the rest of the "Visionary" singles in, but it comes with one single, which is "Thriller."

Nick2341
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Nick2341

I just got the UK 3 CD set and I noticed the 3rd CD is mastered differently
than the first two. It's not as bright sounding.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version