Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Michael Jackson - the 45 versions on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

It doesn't come out till next Tuesday, Aaron. I've got it on preorder, but if it doesn't come on Monday, I may go down to Virgin Megastore in Hollywood and get it Monday night at midnight.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Oh, that's right. I was thinking it came out on the 17th. They closed our Virgin Megastore in Dallas :( I'll probably just wait until Tuesday afternoon.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Brian W. wrote:
The article also quotes his longime engineer Bruce Swedien as saying that four tracks recorded for the "Thriller" sessions will be included, one of them called "Don't Be Messin' Around."

Brian W.:

Since you brought up this new re-issue of "Thriller" and its possible bonus tracks, I wish to call upon your MJ expertise, if I may... :-)

I have 2004's "The Ultimate Collection" box set, and I'll assume you do, too. I really like the funk sound of track #17 on disc one, which is a demo version of a previously-unreleased song, titled "Sunset Driver". However, there is conflicting info regarding the song's origin in the 60-page booklet that accompanies the box set...

In Nelson George's liner notes on pg. 23, where he discusses the song, he states, "'Sunset Driver' didn't make 'Off the Wall'". IMO, that clearly implies that it was recorded in late '78/early '79, for that album. The tracks on the box set are also sequenced more or less in chronological order, sandwiching the track in between MJ's hits from 1979's "Off the Wall" and The Jacksons' 1980 album, "Triumph", which would further seem to back George's claim...

However, the detailed credits for the song on pg. 7 of the booklet state for "Sunset Driver", "Recorded 1982". This, of course, would indicate that it was actually one of the "Thriller" rejects. And using my own personal expertise on funk and r&b from that era, when I listen to the song, it DOES sound more like it was recorded in '82, as opposed to '79...

By chance do you have more definitive info??? If not, what's your take when you listen to it??? :-) Was "Sunset Driver" an "Off the Wall" reject, or rather, a "Thriller" reject??? If the latter, I hope it's included as one the four bonus tracks on that upcoming re-issue...

Any info appreciated!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2007 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I don't have any more info, I'm afraid. I can only assume that "Sunset Driver" was written for "Off the Wall," not used, and the demo re-recorded for "Thriller." I'm not sure.

I do know that Michael says "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" was written for "Off the Wall," but he didn't think it was any good, so he didn't show it to Quincy Jones at the time.

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2007 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Brian, it was an OTW outtake, but i think Michael might have gone back to it during the Thriller sessions and rejected it again. that book in the box set is littered with many, many mistakes. for instance: Scared Of The Moon from the book Scared Of The Moon???? there was no such book. it's all very wishy washy. probably put together by some Sony person that knows very little about Jackson.
Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

"Billie Jean" is now scheduled for Ringle release on 11/20, and it also will feature "Can't Get Outta the Rain."

Some other interesting catalog singles have been scheduled for release as Ringles: Wham's "Everything She Wants" (which so far just lists "Remix" on the tracklisting on Amazon), Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (with the original 1949 picture sleeve!), "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton, and "All I Want for Xmas" by Mariah Carey (its first domestic CD single release), among others.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

F**K!!! All the ringles have been pushed back two weeks to November 6th! I knew this was going to happen. How much you wanna bet me that, if they miss Halloween, they won't release the Thriller ringle at all?

Well, if they release Billie Jean, and it's got "Can't Get Outta the Rain," then it won't really matter. I knew this was going to happen... it's like the Australian "Thriller Singles" situation all over again.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 October 2007 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian W. wrote:
How much you wanna bet me that, if they miss Halloween, they won't release the Thriller ringle at all?

I'm not saying it's not a possibility, but I would think that by now those singles...er, ringles...have already been pressed up. Don't they have to be pressed and ready for sale several weeks in advance? Let's hope that "Thriller" is just waiting in a warehouse and ready to be sold. If not, I suppose we can live with just having "Billie Jean" for that elusive b-side.

Edited by aaronk on 23 October 2007 at 12:59am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2007 at 3:56am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Brian W. wrote:
I knew this was going to happen... it's like the Australian "Thriller Singles" situation all over again.

i agree, i'm not even surprised. Sony are useless, time and time again.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The situation with the ringles is not Sony's fault, I found out. Here's what happened: they're all pressed, and most of the stores have them in stock... but the phone companies have not finished setting up to accept the ringtones. So they can't sell them because the ringtones can't be activated yet. That's why they've been pushed to 11/6.

Best Buy and FYE both had the ringles in stock, but not out. The guy at Best Buy was actually going to sell me one when I told him I didn't care about the ringtone. But, of course, neither store had gotten "Thriller" in for some reason. Which makes me even more nervous that that one will be canceled altogether.

But FYE told me they had six "Thriller" ringles on order, so we'll see.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

waldo wrote:
...it was an OTW outtake, but i think Michael might have gone back to it during the Thriller sessions and rejected it again.

Hmmm, maybe. I just know that when I listen to it, the instrumentation/production SOUNDS much more like the version on the box set was recorded in '82. Thanks for the input!

Quote:
that book in the box set is littered with many, many mistakes...

Agreed. I, too, spotted at least a couple more errors, but after all, it IS a pretty lengthy essay...

Quote:
...probably put together by some Sony person that knows very little about Jackson.

As I stated in my original post, they were actually written by renowned author & former "Billboard" r&b columnist Nelson George (see pg. 19)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

80smusicfreak wrote:

As I stated in my original post, they were actually written by renowned author & former "Billboard" r&b columnist Nelson George (see pg. 19)...

It's strange how "experts" can be wrong.

I remember jazz writer Will Friedwald, considered an expert on Frank Sintra, said in his liner notes for the Sinatra "Capitol Singles" set that it was too bad the single of his duet with Bing Crosby, "Well, Did You Evah," had omitted a line of dialogue that was in the "High Society" film version. Well, that line WAS in the single... it was just omitted from the boxed set's remixed version! (Which was longer than the single as well... the mono single edit has never been issued on CD.)

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:33am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Brian W. wrote:
I do know that Michael says "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" was written for "Off the Wall," but he didn't think it was any good, so he didn't show it to Quincy Jones at the time.

Ah, interesting tidbit - never knew that. Thanks for the response...

Quote:
F**K!!! All the ringles have been pushed back two weeks to November 6th!...Here's what happened: they're all pressed, and most of the stores have them in stock... but the phone companies have not finished setting up to accept the ringtones. So they can't sell them because the ringtones can't be activated yet. That's why they've been pushed to 11/6.

Hmmm, my local Borders bookstore here in NH must not have gotten the memo, lol. Was there about 7-8 hours ago (Tuesday evening), when a fairly large cardboard display bin caught my attention. Walked up and realized it was filled w/ a couple hundred new CDs in slim 5" x 5" cardsleeves - yep, it was a special display made just for the new ringles! Spent about five minutes checking 'em out, but didn't buy any (yet) - all were Sony/BMG artists/titles...

Quote:
Some other interesting catalog singles have been scheduled for release as Ringles: Wham's "Everything She Wants" (which so far just lists "Remix" on the tracklisting on Amazon), Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (with the original 1949 picture sleeve!), "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton, and "All I Want for Xmas" by Mariah Carey (its first domestic CD single release), among others.

Didn't see any of those particular titles. There's a prominent color band w/ the "ringle" logo at the top of every sleeve, and the color of that band varies from title to title. The catalog titles (which I paid much more attention to) were indeed interesting: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, Europe's "The Final Countdown", and (ugh!) "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper; even Cheap Trick, among others. Based on my somewhat-limited knowledge of picture sleeves (don't really collect vinyl 45s), it appears that Sony/BMG used the same cover art for the new ringles as appeared on the original 45 picture sleeves - even retaining the original B-sides from the 45s, too (as you indicated would be the case w/ "Billie Jean"). There were some current titles mixed in as well (Jennifer Lopez, etc.); even some currents by country acts! Didn't see MJ's "Billie Jean" or "Thriller", although I admit I didn't pick through every ringle in the display bin...

And I know some of these ringles have already escaped in other areas, too - a couple hours ago while doing time on eBay, I found a seller already offering a handful of them, complete w/ pictures...

Edited to add: Borders' price for the ringles was a decent $4.99 each, BTW...

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 24 October 2007 at 1:46am

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote waldo

80smusicfreak wrote:

the essay yes. but the information and recording credits printed under each song were not written by Nelson George. and on those pages there are alot of mistakes. some of the Bad singles say recorded in '88 for instance. there are also mistakes in the essay. i spotted one straight away, regarding the address of the house in Gary, Indiana.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I certainly like the idea of having the catalog "ringles" titles issued with their original picture sleeves and B-sides. I just hope Sony is equally faithful in reproducing the correct 45 versions and lengths for these songs as well. Who knows, maybe this is how we'll eventually obtain the elusive 45 remix of Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise" from a master tape source!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd Ireland wrote:
Who knows, maybe this is how we'll eventually obtain the elusive 45 remix of Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise" from a master tape source!

That would kick butt!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
Todd Ireland wrote:
Who knows, maybe this is how we'll eventually obtain the elusive 45 remix of Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise" from a master tape source!

That would kick butt!

Yes, sir! And perhaps this might be our last hope to eventually obtain that long lost 45 version of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" for Brian!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd Ireland wrote:
Yes, sir! And perhaps this might be our last hope to eventually obtain that long lost 45 version of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" for Brian!

Yep, and let's not forget Babs' "The Way We Were," also on Columbia.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Will Christmas come early for everyone?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

80smusicfreak wrote:
The catalog titles (which I paid much more attention to) were indeed interesting: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, Europe's "The Final Countdown", and (ugh!) "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper; even Cheap Trick, among others. Based on my somewhat-limited knowledge of picture sleeves (don't really collect vinyl 45s), it appears that Sony/BMG used the same cover art for the new ringles as appeared on the original 45 picture sleeves - even retaining the original B-sides from the 45s, too (as you indicated would be the case w/ "Billie Jean").

Checked out a few on e-bay and noticed the Cyndi Lauper one has a different sleeve. The others all appear to be the same as the original 45 though.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version