Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Michael Jackson - the 45 versions on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 October 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

No, it can't be edited from the LP version (unique mix where [I believe] half the rap was.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Very interesting info! Thanks, Andrew.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Gary

They take out the rap that goes from 3:00-3:19 and throw in an extra verse of "mine, oh mine" then starts again where Paul says "I don't believe it!"

The label is marked New Edited Version.

It is a white epic label - #34-03288

chendagam wrote:
Wow! So it was an official edit after all these years. That rap is only 9 seconds??? I don't think so.

Is the words "new edited version" listed on the promo 45?
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2006 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

So, is this a pretty rare promo or do you guys see if floating around all the time?
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

chendagam wrote:
There is a copy on ebay right now for $75 which I'm not going to pay to find out :)

Apparently, it's not that rare or valuable. Another copy on ebay just ended for $3.49.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

I'm still a bit confused at the main difference of "wanna be starting something" on the Essential CD vs. the 45. I understand that the 45 version is an edit of the 12" version. I'm just confused at the main differences between the Essential edit and the 45 version.

Thank you.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 November 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

chendagam wrote:
I'm still a bit confused at the main difference of "wanna be starting something" on the Essential CD vs. the 45. I understand that the 45 version is an edit of the 12" version. I'm just confused at the main differences between the Essential edit and the 45 version.

Thank you.

The Essential version is a new edit of the ALBUM VERSION. So it's not even the right mix.

The 45 version was not exactly an edit of the 12-inch remix, but a short version mixed like the 12-inch. It is not possible to accurately edit the 12-inch mix down, mainly because of the "Billie Jean is always talking" line, which on both LP and 12-inch versions has the tail end of a horn over the word "Billie," which is absent on the 45.

Also, there is a teeny difference in the opening "You're too high to get over" on the single. On the 12-inch, it's "A-too high to get over," not "YOU'RE too high to get over," which it clearly is on the 45.

Edited by Brian W. on 09 November 2006 at 11:22pm

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 November 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Thanks for the information. Now I can go back and compare. I still think it's great to have these new edits from the essential cd.

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Has the 3:43 single version of You Can't Win - Michael's first single on 'Epic' ever been issued onto CD?

i know the 7:19 extended version has.

technically of course this only reached #81 so it is not a Top 40 hit.

Edited by waldo on 09 August 2007 at 8:19am
Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

waldo wrote:
Has the 3:43 single version of You Can't Win - Michael's first single on 'Epic' ever been issued onto CD?

i know the 7:19 extended version has.

technically of course this only reached #81 so it is not a Top 40 hit.

No, I don't think so. Can it be faded from the extended version? I've never actually heard the 45.

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2007 at 4:30am | IP Logged Quote waldo

hey Brian.

no it can't be faded at all from the extended version as it ends completely different - with Michael doing a very cool kind of soulful affectation, exactly the same way as in the movie and on The Wiz soundtrack album.

interesting thread.. i have enjoyed reading it. also i have read most of your Jackson-related posts over on the Steve Hoffman forum too.. always very informative.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 3:29am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Whoo hoo! "Can't Get Outta the Rain," the rare B-side to Billie Jean, Girl is Mine, and Thriller, is making its worldwide CD debut on October 23rd!!! God bless Ringles!

Thriller Ringle

Edited by Brian W. on 02 October 2007 at 3:30am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

FINALLY! I was just thinking about about that song yesterday and wondering if it was ever going to be released on CD. It looks like shortly after the ringle is released, Thriller 25 is coming out on CD with bonus tracks and a DVD. I haven't been able to find any info on the track listing for the album yet.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Can anyone give me the number on the Epic white label promo for "The Girl Is Mine?" Unfortunately, cheapest I've seen for sale is $15.00. Wouldn't wanna spend that kind of $$$ if the length is the same as the stock 45. Would be looking for the 3:21 edit w/o the Paul/Michael rap.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To eriejwg:

It's 34-03288 [ZSS 169202] labeled "NEW EDITED VERSION".

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks Andrew. Good thing I double checked the listing on GEMM. It says: 3:41 version (US W/L PROMO ONLY. Epic 34-03288.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote waldo

i do hope SONY don't screw it up again and let all us down with changing the content of the forthcoming ringle. it just seems too good to be true for them to issue the correct Girl Is Mine flip.

also coming out soon is another re-issue of Thriller.. "Thriller25", celebrating the 25th anniversary.. that's supposed to have rare out-takes added on. promises.. promises

Edited by waldo on 08 October 2007 at 8:18am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yeah, I'm a little nervous, too, Waldo. I still haven't forgotten the canceled "Thriller CD Singles" collection from Australia.

Though I'm not entirely sure the "Thriller 25" is going to have any special content on it... the only tracklist I can find online just lists the original lineup plus a DVD:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3477997/Thriller-25th-Annive rsary/Product.html

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

According to a Roger Friedman story on Fox news, four songs from "Thriller" are being remixed by Akon, Kanye West, and Will.I.Am, and will be included as bonus tracks on the upcoming 25th Annivesary CD. The songs are Girl is Mine, Billie Jean, PYT, and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.

The article also quotes his longime engineer Bruce Swedien as saying that four tracks recorded for the "Thriller" sessions will be included, one of them called "Don't Be Messin' Around."

I wonder if that's the track that was dropped just before release. As told by both Quincy Jones and Michael, the album was originally 10 songs, mixed very dense and running 50 minutes, but it sounded so horribly compressed on the vinyl test pressing that one song was dropped and the rest of the album remixed more sparesely. (I've always wondered if the "extended" versions of Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' are actually the original album mixes.)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The extended mix of "Billie Jean" doesn't sound too much different (if at all) from the LP version. I've never done a close comparison, but it was my guess that the LP version was edited from the extended mix. Are there mix differences that you can spot?

Also, did anyone pick up the ringle of "Thriller?" Do we really finally have "Can't Get Outta The Rain" on CD?

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version