Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Michael Jackson - the 45 versions on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 July 2005 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian:

Speaking of "They Don't Care About Us", do you know if all commercial single copies contained the censored version?

By the way, that seems to be a very fitting song title as we continue to discuss the many disappointments on the recent Essential CD release!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2005 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, to my knowledge, the commercial single was censored only.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian:

Did you ever receive your Japanese version of the Michael Jackson Essential CD? Since you never reported back about it, should we take this to mean the Japanese version also contains the bogus recreations of the single edits?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2005 at 4:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, about three weeks ago. It uses the same recreated edits as are on the US release, with just a couple different tracks. Dashed once again. (Though it does have a lovely booklet, much nicer than the US version.)

Edited by Brian W. on 21 September 2005 at 4:01am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2006 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I've updated the MJ discography with notes on the new Sony UK "Video Singles Collection," as the US 45 version of "Thriller" is finally made available again on CD. The mastering engineer for this set posts on the Steve Hoffman board from time to time, and he did post that the whole set is mastered from the original single masters, so they should all contain the true 45 versions.

But as is typical of CDs these days, they're maximized, compressed sound. And no singles for Human Nature or Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', as there were no videos for those.

But where they really blew it was not including the non-LP B-sides like "Can't Get Outta the Rain," instead opting for the extended mixes as bonus tracks, which have all been issued on CD before.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 April 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Brian W. wrote:
Michael Jackson – The 45 Versions on CD, Part Two

You Rock My World – The time between the release of “Blood on the Dance Floor” and “Invincible” was the longest wait for any Michael Jackson album. The leadoff, “You Rock My World,” was released commercially as a vinyl jukebox 45, both sides containing the full-length 5:37 album version with spoken intro featuring Chris Tucker. Despite Michael's butchering his appearance still further in the intervening years, the song did surprisingly well at radio, well enough to climb to the top ten on the Hot 100. It's a shame the song was not available commercially as a CD single – it would likely have hit #1, as the album did.

Butterflies - The third single from “Invincible” was not commercially issued as a single in any format anywhere in the world. There were two separate radio promos in the US, one containing the 4:40 LP version, and one with a remix called Trackmasters Remix, which I have not heard. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the single version would be, but I lean towards the Album Version.

Brian, "You Rock My World" was also issued as a promo only 12". There were two different releases. One with the LP version, Instrumental, and Acapella. This version was also issued commercially in the UK.

The second issue was also promo only in the US. It was a remix done by the Trackmasters, sampling Biz Markie's "Nobody Beats The Biz", and features a rap by Jay-Z. It clocks in at 3:28 and has the same track on both sides. The cut was very popular in clubs and got a lot of mix show airplay but Epic never issued it commercially anywhere.

"Butterflies" had a similar release pattern also. This track was also released as an import 12" with the original mixes. The US promo again features a remixed version(again by The Trackmasters) sampling Issac Hayes "A Few More Kisses To Go" and features a rap by Eve. The promo 12" has the remix one side, an Instrumental, and an Acapella on the other side.

Edited by Jeff H. on 08 April 2006 at 3:34pm
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

I was in Wash DC this last week on business and found the MJ single box set
with the Thriller 45 mix. I thought I could never pick that one up in a B&M. It
was a pain to lug home, but worth it. Are there any of the other MJ video
singles worth buying?
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

anthology123 wrote:
I was in Wash DC this last week on business and found the MJ single box set with the Thriller 45 mix. I thought I could never pick that one up in a B&M. It was a pain to lug home, but worth it. Are there any of the other MJ video singles worth buying?

Well, I believe they ALL contain the US single versions. The guy who mastered it posted on the Steve Hoffman website some time ago that they were all mastered from the original single masters. (Sad that there were no videos for Human Nature or Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.)

The sound quality is very good on all of them... though they're all the typical maximized and compressed sound you get on CDs these days.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I guess Smooth Criminal, Way You Make Me Feel, Jam, and Beat It (which is faded a few seconds earlier than the LP) are the ones which contain 45 versions hard to find elsewhere commerically.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Brian W. wrote:

Human Nature seems identical to the LP version until the brief instrumental break, where it's a completely different "instrument" playing there (though both are probably synthesizers). Then several bars are cut after the final verse, jumping from the first line of the last chorus straight to "cha da cha cha." (So it's, "I'm dreaming of the street, If they say why, why, cha da cha cha cha cha cha cha.") The vinyl 45 incorrectly lists the running time as 4:05, the LP length. I did A/B the 45 with the CD3, which runs 3:46.

I picked up the promo 45 of Human Nature hoping it was different and was disappointed when I looked at the run time. You guys have really openned my eyes. I dusted off my Thriller album and compared it to the 45 and it is different! I really have to start to pay better attention.
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Brian W. wrote:
Several edit versions of "Thriller" have found their way to CD -– the US radio edit, the UK single edit -- but the US 45 version was unique. It cut the Vincent Price rap completely, and had a brief instrumental section in its place that is not found on any other version, including the 12" Instrumental (which has also been issued on CD).   The 45 inaccurately lists the running time as 3:56. Running time of the song on this CD is 4:07, and I did A/B it with the 45.

In early 2006, Sony UK began issuing the Michael Jackson Video Singles Collection, a series of 20 Dual Disc CD singles, to be purchased separately, featuring the DVD video on one side and two tracks of audio on the other. The initial offering, available only inside the otherwise empty box to hold the entire set (at $19.99 or less), was a CD single of Thriller, with the audio side containing both the LP and the US 45 version of the song... it's first issue on CD since the old Japanese CD3.

Question about "Thriller." Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_%28song%29) lists the following mixes:

Album Version 5:56
Instrumental 5:56
7" Edit 4:37
Re-Mixed Short Version 4:09
Single Edit w/Rap 5:11

I have the album version, instrumental, re-mixed short version (which I'm assuming is the one mentioned above with the Vincent Price removal), and the Single Edit w/rap. Can someone explain what the 7" edit that runs for 4:37 is and where to find it.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Are all the DVD singles that are being re-released the same. Amazon has different tracklistings than ones on ebay.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

chendagam wrote:
Can someone explain what the 7" edit that runs for 4:37 is and where to find it.

I believe the 4:37 7" edit was the UK single version, which contains only the first part of the rap, then an instrumental part that fades out. It's on the Michael Jackson "Tour Souvenir Pack," a set of four CD singles that came out in the UK during the Dangerous tour.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

chendagam wrote:
Are all the DVD singles that are being re-released the same. Amazon has different tracklistings than ones on ebay.

Can you give me some examples of differences?

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

On Ebay:

AUDIO TRACKLISTING
1. Thriller (4.09)
2. Thriller ? Album version (5.58)

DVD TRACKLISTING
Thriller ? Original Music Video

Amazon:

1. Album Version
2. Video

Product Description
Each Limited Edition, numbered Dual Disc includes the classic single, it's original B-Side or Alternate Version along with it's accompanying video on the flip.

Amazon.co.uk:

1. Thriller
2. Thriller – Album version

To me it sounds like Amazon USA has it all screwed up.

Edited by chendagam on 30 August 2006 at 9:00pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I think it's probably an error on Amazon. As far as I know, there is only one version of each disc.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

The database states 2 different times for "The Girl is Mine." One being 3.32 (promo) and the other being 3.41 (commercial). I can remember as a kid hearing a version on the radio without the center (end) "rap" between Paul and Michael. I'm guessing that was a radio station edit but am curious if anyone has the promo 45 to tell us the difference. There is a copy on ebay right now for $75 which I'm not going to pay to find out :)

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

Interestingly enough, I just found this promo single stuck in the middle of some others that were out of place. I forgot all about this. Yes, this version is called "New Edited Version" and it does eliminate the "rap" between Michael & Paul.

chendagam wrote:
The database states 2 different times for "The Girl is Mine." One being 3.32 (promo) and the other being 3.41 (commercial). I can remember as a kid hearing a version on the radio without the center (end) "rap" between Paul and Michael. I'm guessing that was a radio station edit but am curious if anyone has the promo 45 to tell us the difference. There is a copy on ebay right now for $75 which I'm not going to pay to find out :)
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Is there something unique to the mix, or can the LP version be edited to make this version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Wow! So it was an official edit after all these years. That rap is only 9 seconds??? I don't think so.

Is the words "new edited version" listed on the promo 45?

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version