Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Michael Jackson - the 45 versions on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 July 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Regarding the spoken intro to "I Just Can't Loving You," Todd, I'm not sure exactly why it was switched. All I know is that when the US CD3 came out (months after the single was a hit... around the time "Another Part of Me" was released, I think), that was the first time I'd heard the no-intro version on CD.

A while later, when my "Bad" CD album became scratched or lost, I bought a new one, and found that the radio version had been substituted on the album. I'm gonna guess that was about a year to a year and a half after the "Bad" album was released.

Edited by Brian W. on 11 July 2005 at 2:21pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's interesting. I wonder what version of "Rock With You" my vinyl LP has... It's packed away at my parents' house, but I'd be willing to bet it's not the original, since it was purchased around the same time as the Thriller album.

Edited by aaronk on 11 July 2005 at 2:23pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

A friend of mine has the first Japanese pressing of Off The Wall on CD (matrix # 35 8P-2 71A6), and it has the original mix of "Rock With You" without the hand claps. So, this mix HAS been available on CD, although I'm sure this pressing from Japan is pretty hard to find.

Also, I checked the commercial 45, and that mix DOES contain the hand claps. So, Todd, your wish for having the original mix show up on Essential probably won't come true since the 45 version IS the remixed version.

Edited by aaronk on 11 July 2005 at 10:57pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Oh, damn, damn, damn. Many years ago I had the original Japanese pressing. I want to hit myself in the head with a board now!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ouch! I wouldn't recommend that, Brian.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

That's why I've more or less given up getting rid of my old CDs that I THINK are duplicated on other discs. I can't count how many times I've sold a CD, then found out later there was something unique on it. I used to sell on Ebay quite a bit... I haven't been a seller in almost two years, largely because of this type of thing.

I gave up the old one because I thought the first US pressing would be "better." I didn't notice any difference at the time, but when I obtained that cassette copy of "Off the Wall" a year or so ago, I did think that no-handclaps mix sounded familiar.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 3:49am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Bad news. The tracklisting for Essential Michael Jackson has been removed from All Music Guide. I don't know of any reason for this except that they were informed it was inaccurate.

Nonetheless, Sony Music Store still shows it containing the same tracks on disc one, and I still don't see how they could fit all those on there without using single edits. But like I said, several retailers are only showing 20 tracks on disc one... which would certainly leave room for the LP version of "Wanna Be."

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian:

I just checked the All Music Guide website and you'll be happy to know the track listing is back up. From what I can see, the run times all still look the same so we may get our single version yet. :-)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have the "Essential" cd and I will post the specifics on the "review" board later today. Disc 1 has 21 tracks with a total running time of 78:58, disc 2 has 17 tracks with a total running time of 78:52. The only 2 LP versions appear to be Man In The Mirror and Smooth Criminal.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Pat! This is gonna be a long few hours...

And even a longer four days... :D :D :D

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Todd Ireland wrote:
Brian:

I just checked the All Music Guide website and you'll be happy to know the track listing is back up.

Huh... doesn't show on my computer. And I even cleared my cash and pressed CNTRL-REFRESH... still blank. {EDIT: That's "cache," not cash!]

Edited by Brian W. on 14 July 2005 at 4:46pm

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The review I mentioned above is now posted on the "review" board.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yeeeeeehawwww!

(One correction, Pat: You have "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" listed as "LP length." If it runs 5:51, that's the 45 length (see my discography). The LP length is about 6:03.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Thanks for your review of the Michael Jackson Essential CD. You report that "Rock with You" is the 45 version on this compilation. Is this the original 45 mix without the handclaps, or the remixed 45 version with handclaps that seems to have become the standard on all Michael Jackson releases for over the past 20 years?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

No, you're misunderstanding, Todd... The 45 version is the remixed version with the handclaps... it's just got an edit in the instrumental break, whereas the full-length remixed version was later included on the LP.

The version without the handclaps was only on the early pressings of the LP and cassette and, as Aaron recently uncovered, the original Japanese pressings of the CD. The original mix was never issued on 45.

Edited by Brian W. on 14 July 2005 at 5:48pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up, Brian.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 July 2005 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

You are right Brian, "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough " is the 45 length (I didn't even read my handwritten notes correctly) so I will go modify the review right now.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Be sure to read the thread "Michael Jackson 2 CD Essential" to find out all the songs we thought we were getting 45 versions of, but they tricked us by offering up LP edits.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 July 2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I went back to read over some of Brian's notes on the Michael Jackson singles discography found at the beginning of this thread and am pleased to discover Brian has updated some of the information in light of the recent, much talked about Essential CD release. I didn't realize until now that he even notes differences between printed and actual commercial single run times not mentioned in the 10th edition of T40MOCD. An outstanding reference guide, to say the least!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 July 2005 at 5:03pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, the UK edition of "Essential" has some different tracks, but exactly the same mastering engineer as the US version, with the same bum "recreations" of the single edits. The UK version omits "Enjoy Yourself," uses the radio edit of "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" that was on "Number Ones," and omits "Dangerous" in favor of the radio edit of "Earth Song" and the censored single version of "They Don't Care About Us."

The fact that the Japanese version isn't coming out till the end of August gives me a teeny-weeny amount of hope that maybe they're doing their own mastering and will use the correct versions. But I ain't holding my breath.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version