Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: I Gotcha by Joe Tex Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 February 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Hi, all. I'm looking for some advice.

I have "I Gotcha" by Joe Tex on 3 separate CD's, but all have really REALLY murky sound. So much so, in fact, that on my compilation discs, it's really distracting. (This is also true on the CD's I have it on.)

My question: Does anybody know of a CD with this track that's "clear"? Any advice would be appreciated.

The discs I have it on are:
Soul Hits Of The 70's Volume 8
Sounds Of The Seventies - Seventies Top Forty
Soul Train - 1972
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2006 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It sounds fine on my Can You Dig It box set. I remember hearing it also on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack, and I don't recall thinking it sounded bad. I haven't heard the latter disc in years, though.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2006 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Guess what? The original Dial LP also sounds murky. I would say that the dull sound it the true sound.

Many CD producers like to boost the treble on songs.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Actually, Grant, that was my suspicion. Like with songs listed in the database with "poor stereo separation" on every CD they're on (Go All The Way, by the Raspberries, for example), I figure the original mix was bad to begin with.

Thanks to both you and aaronk for the replies. I don't think I'm gonna buy a whole box set just to try and get a good sounding version. I might check into the soundtrack, though.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

That whole album must have been mixed with bright monitors set at high volume levels.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2006 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Grant wrote:
That whole album must have been mixed with bright monitors set at high volume levels.

More than likely. But the other thing to keep in mind was that the released version of "I Gotcha" only had a scratch vocal performed by Joe on it. His producer Buddy Killen liked so much as it was that he went ahead and issued it just like that. Tex was supposedly really pissed about it, until it became a huge hit.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 February 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Jeff H. wrote:
Grant wrote:

More than likely. But the other thing to keep in mind was that the released version of "I Gotcha" only had a scratch vocal performed by Joe on it. His producer Buddy Killen liked so much as it was that he went ahead and issued it just like that. Tex was supposedly really pissed about it, until it became a huge hit.

Best James Brown imitation I ever heard, too!

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2006 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Grant wrote:
Jeff H. wrote:
Grant wrote:

Best James Brown imitation I ever heard, too!

Oh yeahhhh!! That song kicks ass!!!

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 August 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

bringing this one to the front for a quick question, is the shorter 45 version an edit or a fades earlier than the LP length?

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2006 at 3:15am | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

davidclark wrote:
bringing this one to the front for a quick question, is the shorter 45 version an edit or a fades earlier than the LP length?

The song is all of 2:18. I don't think there's a shorter version of it anywhere.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2006 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Jeff,

not a shorter version, rather a longer. Pat indicates the LP as running 2:39, but I have yet to find a version that long.

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2006 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

davidclark wrote:
Jeff,

not a shorter version, rather a longer. Pat indicates the LP as running 2:39, but I have yet to find a version that long.

That's incorrect. I have copy of the original LP and the timing is the same as on the 45.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Perhaps the 2:39 LP time reported in the database is reflective of an incorrect time printed on the LP record label?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2006 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

davidclark wrote:

The 45 and LP are the same. I have them both.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 August 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The (2:39) version and the (2:37) version reported in the database have an alternate introduction and that is why they run longer than the (2:26) version that is found on the 45 and LP.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Just found my original Dial mono 45 and, while the tune doesn't have a very good high end, it's far from being dull or murky. Many moons ago I remember hearing it that way and being surprised how bad it was compared to the single. The discs I played on the radio in 1972 were fine.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2006 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi All,

The EQ issue that was originally mentioned, I agree with those that feel it isn't that bad. Yes, it wasn't Eq'd very hot to begin with but that is easily corrected with a good EQ plug-in. I did so with the version from Rhino "Soul Hits Of The 70's" and got it very bright, very punchy.

Now, the longer version; I recalled having this version as it was mentioned years ago in the BSN newsletter. I do not any CD it is on, but I do have my 2 LP set Best Of on Charly from the UK and it is on there. It runs 2:39.
As Pat pointed out, the difference is in the intro.
The longer intro is the same recording, but for the Dial 45 and LP it was overdubbed so each "Uh-HUH, HUH!" has his vocal double-tracked. (it is difficult to hear, his overdubbed part is louder, you must turn it up a bit to hear the original track under it) It was then edited, had one measure edited out. The rest of the 5 or seconds difference i assume is at the end fade, as i didn't notice any other edits.
It is also a slightly different mix; the 45 and LP have that shaker percussion in the dead center. The longer version has it mixed over the left. Near as I can tell, all else in the mix is pretty much the same.
I could not hear any other extra overdubs other than those Uh-HUH's in the intro.
And, as an aside - because I saw this thread i had to pull the song out. Was fun blasting it, even several times to compare the versions - what a great funk classic, uh-huh!
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

MMathews wrote:
Hi All,

The EQ issue that was originally mentioned, I agree with those that feel it isn't that bad. Yes, it wasn't Eq'd very hot to begin with but that is easily corrected with a good EQ plug-in. I did so with the version from Rhino "Soul Hits Of The 70's" and got it very bright, very punchy.

I thought it was too bright on that CD. But, then, i'm used to listening to the 45 and the LP.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2007 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I see in the database that you state both the LP and 45 run (2:26). I just timed my commercial 45, which is mono, and has deadwax info of "49156-3". This 45 has a listed time of (2:18), but an actual time of (2:23).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2007 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

I have it on the Rhino R2 70660 "Top R&B Hits 1972" (45 version) and on BMG 44808-2 "I Gotcha - Greatest Hits" (the longer version that Pat lists as neither 45 nor LP version) and both sound fine to me - not murky at all, good stereo separation and all instruments are crisp. It does have a strong bass line that is "mono" in the mix so that might affect the sound. The longer version does have a different (and longer) intro as well as some differences in the vocals before the end fade.

Don't buy a box set to get a good version. Either the Rhino or the BMG are available very cheaply and you can get the BMG CD through the Collectables Records web site because it's part of the Collectables "Priceless Collection" of greatest hits.

Great song!
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version