Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Barry Manilow - Read ’Em and Weep Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 January 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Today, while listening to Sirius XM's '80s channel online, I heard a mix of "Read 'Em and Weep" I'd never heard before. It had additional background vocals in the 2nd verse. (Has anyone heard this - on Sirius XM or elsewhere?) Sirius XM listed the album as "Essential" but had a different album cover photo than the "Essential" CD that I have (which doesn't have this mix.) So, based on the album photo, an amazon search indicated this "Essential" CD is a UK import. Does anyone know if the album that Sirius XM lists (when they are playing a song) is usually accurate as the source of the song they are playing? Just because this album title & cover photo was displayed, I wouldn't be 100% sure that Sirius XM took this recording from that CD.

Also - There's nothing in the database to indicate that any CDs have an alternate mix. Does anyone have this alt mix on any CD?

And lastly, does anyone have the UK 45? Maybe this mix actually came out in '83 on a UK single. Then again, it could be an alternate mix in the UK vaults, and Sony/BMG just didn't know any better when they took the wrong tape for this CD.

Edited by EdisonLite on 19 January 2013 at 11:49am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

OK, I bought the UK CD "Essential" and can verify this contains an alt mix of "Read 'Em And Weep" - with female background vocals from 2:25 to 2:57.

The main reason I bought this import is because the database didn't show the alternate version on any US CD. However, after receiving this UK CD, I went back and checked all my US CDs and it has been released here. It's on "Essential"! Pat, can you modify the database to indicate "alternate mix" for "Essential"?

Edited by EdisonLite on 08 February 2013 at 4:22pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2013 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

"Essential" is one of the cd's i still have, and i never
would have noticed that.
Makes me wonder if this mix was released elsewhere on
vinyl, such as the UK 12" single or even a overseas 45
version.
MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

My Sony contact will be asking the Sony person who did the Tape Research for the Essential CD. Hopefully, we'll find out if this was a happy accident or a specific mix released somewhere. My guess is that this was all accidental and that the person wasn't aware this was a different mix. (There's no label of "alternate mix" on the CD booklet.) I'll report back here if I hear anything.

I don't know how I missed this before. When I got the US "Essential" CD 7 or 8 years ago, I think I would have listened to every song at least once (I bought it specifically to get the single mix of "could it be magic" so my focus would not have been on "Read 'Em..."). I can only guess I had it on very low - because when I heard this mix on XM recently, it was quite obvious it contained female background parts I wasn't familiar with.

Edited by EdisonLite on 08 February 2013 at 11:33pm

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2013 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

"Ready To Take a Chance Again" on the U.K. "Essential" sounds like it may be stereo, although very narrow stereo.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Using the version from "Greatest Hits: The Platinum Collection" I found by editing out 4:20 to 4:38 I could make it match the edit points on the version found on "The Complete Collection and Then Some..."

I mention it matches the edit points rather than just saying it runs 5:10 because the two versions of the song have a significant tempo difference and I also can't tell if one is a remix but the eq is significantly different between the two recordings.

The version on "The Complete..." runs 5:12 and sounds more mid-rangey, perhaps thinner. The vocals and instrumentation, however, seem to be identical.

I suspect the tempo is wrong on "The Complete...," even though it is the correct DJ edit. It also might be a higher generation source tape, which would explain the poorer frequency response.

EDIT: After trimming the silence from my edit, it runs 5:07... which makes me wonder if it actually is the one running fast rather than the edit running slow.

Edited by NightAire on 20 November 2015 at 11:02pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version