Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Here I Am (Come and Take Me)" - Al Green Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 September 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim reports his commercial 45 copy of Al Green's "Here I Am (Come and Take Me)" is mono and has an actual run time of 4:16, not 4:10 as stated on the record label. I pass this along because the database currently shows a 45 actual run time of 4:14, not 4:10 as stated on the label.

Two different pressings perhaps?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2017 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I sure do love this hit from 1973. So did UB40, who had a hit remake with it 18 years later in 1991.

LP and 45 version (4:14)

The oldest CD I have with the LP/45 version is Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1973 (1990). It sounds pretty terrific here, and runs 4:14. There's a digital clone on Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 8 1973 (1996; digitally exactly 0.401 dB quieter).

There's a different analog transfer on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 21 Rock 'N' Soul Seventies (1991), which has a little left/right imbalance and runs a little slower than Billboard. It runs 4:16 here, mostly due to the speed difference.

There's a different analog transfer on the Cema Special Markets' cheapie Al Green And Teddy Pendergrass - Back To Back Hits (1995), which sounds pretty good and runs 4:13. The same analog transfer is used on Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 19 Always And Forever (1998).

And finally, one more new analog transfer on Right Stuff's Greatest Hits (1995), where it runs 4:12. It sounds great here, even though it's a little loud and clips a bit. Basically, this disc is the gold standard for Al Green hits. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Right Stuff's Hi Times The Hi Records R&B Years (1995) - digitally identical
  • Right Stuff's multi-disc Anthology (1997) - digitally identical
  • Time-Life's Legends Of Soul Vol. 5 Al Green (2001) - digitally identical
promo 45 edit (3:04)

The oldest CD I have with the promo 45 edit is Motown's Compact Command Performances 14 Greatest Hits (1984), where it runs 3:11. This disc is part of the first batch of single-artist collections that Motown released - a very interesting batch of CDs. On the plus side, these discs have a great dynamic range, pretty good EQ, not a hint of noise reduction, and they let the fades run all the way out to the absolute end of the song. On the minus side, they may not use the lowest-generation source tapes, and most use the weaker stereo mixes for the older songs.

The promo 45 has one edit and no early fade, so it's easy to recreate. The edit is between beats, so use the timings below.

For Greatest Hits (1995), delete 1:04.8 to 2:09.9. Your edit will run 3:07.
For Billboard Top R&B Hits 1973, delete 1:04.0 to 2:08.9. Your edit will run 3:10.

My recommendation:

I chose to use Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1973 (1990). It has basically the same sound quality as Greatest Hits, but is a little quieter and doesn't clip, and extends a second or two longer. I also chose to use my homemade edit of Billboard, instead of the Motown disc.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

BTW, I am almost positive the mono version of this was a
fold. I folded the version from Al Green's Greatest Hits,
and it sounds just like the mono 45 to me.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The database says the short promo runs 3:04, yet Ron says it runs 3:10 on CD.

What is the actual run time of the 3:04 vinyl promo? Is it 3:04 or 3:10?

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I get 3:10 on my 3:04 labeled promos (I have two, different printing on each so I checked both). Short side of the promos are mono, at
3:10. I haven't come across a promo 45 with the 3:10 edit in stereo.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks, Bill, for the clarification. If you want to make a
homemade edit that runs 3:10, you'll need to choose the
CD's that run 4:14. Everything else fades out too early.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

UPDATE:

Bill was kind enough to send me a mono DJ 45 dub for
reference. It looks like the pitch is a bit slower than
what's on CD. It also has an actual run time of
3:07 with the last thing you hear on the 45 is Al
singing "teach me."

Erie, PA

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Using the song from his Greatest Hits, after you've made
the edit like Ron detailed, and faded it completely after
"teach me", slow it down by 1%.

Edited by eriejwg on 23 February 2018 at 3:18pm

Erie, PA

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2018 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

After looking at a few more Al Green songs, I can generalize:

The Al Green tracks on Motown sound weird, especially Compact Command Performances 14 Greatest Hits (1984). On just about all the tracks on that disc, the left and right tracks are out of synch, leading to lots of warbly artifacts when summed to mono.

Everything released pre-1995, on any label, just sounds off, including all compilations and the UK disc The Supreme Al Green The Greatest Hits (Demon, 1992).

The Right Stuff's Greatest Hits (1995) sounds SPECTACULAR. Really, just tremendous, especially in comparison with everything else that came out on CD before 1995. There are a bunch of digital clones on the 3-CD Hi Records label set Hi Times The Hi Records R&B Years (1995) and the 4-CD Al Green Anthology (1997). There are also a bunch of digital clones from GH on Time-Life's Legends Of Soul Vol. 5 Al Green (2001). All of these sound fantastic. I've heard that the full-length album remasters on The Right Stuff are also great, but can't confirm firsthand.

My point: Don't use any Al Green tracks released on CD before 1995.

The only exceptions: the handful of tracks on Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1972, 1973, 1974, Billboard Hot Soul Hits 1972, and Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vol. 16. These sound quite nice - comparable to Greatest Hits.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version