Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Hard To Find 45s On CD, Vol. 14 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 July 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Hard To Find 45s On CD Vol. 14 (70s & 80s Pop Classics):

For the first time, the "Hard To Find 45s on CD" series ventures into the 1980s with volume #14, brimming with 70 minutes of classic Top 20 hits, many of which are out-of-print on CD. As always, we present only the correct single versions in true stereo from the original master tapes.

1. It Never Rains In Southern California - Albert Hammond

2. Living Next Door To Alice - Smokie

3. Undercover Angel - Alan O'Day

4. Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder

5. Puttin' On the Ritz - Taco

6. Whispering/Cherchez La Femme/Se Si Bon - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (single version debut)

7. Never Ending Story - Limahl

8. Torn Between Two Lovers - Mary MacGregor

9. Friends And Lovers - Gloria Loring & Carl Anderson

10. How 'Bout Us - Champaign

11. The Captain Of Her Heart - Double (single version debut)

12. The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby & The Range

13. You're Only Lonely - J.D. Souther

14. Cool Night - Paul Davis

15. Key Largo - Bertie Higgins

16. I Love You - Climax Blues Band

17. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

18. The Promise - When in Rome

19. Easy Lover - Philip Bailey with Phil Collins

Release Date: Sept. 18, 2012

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 19 July 2012 at 4:22pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2016 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I picked apart Eric's Hard To Find 45s On CD Vol. 14 '70s And '80s Pop Classics (2012) as best I could.
  1. IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - Albert Hammond (1972) - 45 length; probably no NR
  2. LIVING NEXT DOOR TO ALICE - Smokie (1976) - probably based on Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 20 (1993) with treble boost and NR; left/right channels match an EMI disc that I have and differ from Rhino disc; does Rhino disc have left/right channels swapped?
  3. UNDERCOVER ANGEL - Alan O'Day (1977) - digital clone of Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 19 (1993) with added NR and truncated fade
  4. BREAK MY STRIDE - Matthew Wilder (1983) - seems to use same analog transfer as Sony's Don't Touch My 45s (1993) but slowed down by 0.4%; no NR
  5. PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ - Taco (1983) - digital clone of Rhino's Like Omigod (2002) with added NR
  6. CHERCHEZ LA FEMME - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (1976) - truncated fade, probably no NR
  7. NEVER ENDING STORY - Limahl (1985) - digital clone of EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 2 (1993) with added NR
  8. TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVERS - Mary MacGregor (1976) - has NR and truncated fade
  9. FRIENDS AND LOVERS - Gloria Loring And Carl Anderson (1986) - possibly has NR
  10. HOW 'BOUT US - Champaign (1981) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of Rhino's Radio Daze Vol. 5 (1995) but truncates fade; probably no NR
  11. THE CAPTAIN OF HER HEART - Double (1986) - 45 edit; much better source tapes than EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 5 (1995), no NR; about 1% faster than Oblivion
  12. THE WAY IT IS - Bruce Hornsby And The Range (1986) - digital clone of RCA's The Way It Is (1986) with added NR
  13. YOU'RE ONLY LONELY - J.D. Souther (1979) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of Rhino's Radio Daze Vol. 1 (1995) with truncated fade; unsure about NR
  14. COOL NIGHT - Paul Davis (1981) - very natural-sounding source tapes (far better than any previous CD), on fade you can hear hiss disappear in stages - NR?
  15. KEY LARGO - Bertie Higgins (1981) - has NR
  16. I LOVE YOU - Climax Blues Band (1981) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of Simitar's Love Rocks After Midnight (1998); truncated fade
  17. BAKER STREET - Gerry Rafferty (1978) - sounds close to Time-Life's Classic Soft Rock Vol. 6 The Air That I Breathe (2006) but tiny bit slower (insignificant); shortened fade
  18. THE PROMISE - When In Rome (1988) - digital clone of EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 5 (1995) with added NR
  19. EASY LOVER - Philip Bailey With Phil Collins (1984) - treble-boosted but probably no NR
Overall, I have three issues with the sound:
  • There's a lot of noise reduction on these tracks.
  • There's a pretty severe treble boost to compensate for the noise reduction. (This was common in the late-'80s NoNoise dark days of the TM Century discs.)
  • There are a lot of truncated fades.
Still, there are two keepers in the bunch.

"The Captain Of Her Heart" sounds spectacular here, especially in a side-by-side comparison with Living In Oblivion (all the other discs that include the song are based on the Oblivion mastering). Eric must have gotten some great, low-generation source tapes for this one.

"Cool Night" sounds quite natural here, which is most unusual for any early-'80s Paul Davis tracks. Even the Paul Davis Sweet Life collection (1999) sounds pinched and weird for "Cool Night".

For the rest of the tracks, proceed with caution. I have better-sounding versions of everything else, often on the discs quoted above, which don't have noise reduction and have their full fades intact.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 October 2016 at 1:43pm

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2016 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Thanks for the very through review Ron. Just FYI, I
provided Ron with this CD knowing exactly what the report
would look like.
I will say this: this is the LAST volume in this series
that will ever have ANY NR on it. (Promise)
-Mark and Walt. :-)

BTW Ron, I was less involved with this project than usual
because of when it took place, but I can answer a couple
of questions from memory:
The Double digital source was provided by the band (who
owns the rights) - they sent the LP version and we just
made the one edit to replicate the U.S. 45.
The Smokie source actually came from Sony UK. We thought
their master sounded one generation closer than the U.S.
source. It recall it had less compression. MM

Edited by MMathews on 18 October 2016 at 10:57pm
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

MMathews wrote:

I will say this: this is the LAST volume in this series
that will ever have ANY NR on it. (Promise)
-Mark and Walt. :-)
   Thank you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version