Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Love Is - Vanessa Williams/Brian McKnight Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 July 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Does the early fade that appears on Brian McKnight's From Here To There best of match the correct DJ Edit of this song?

I've noticed that every Vanessa Williams CD containing this song uses a remixed version with a piano solo during the brige, wheras the version found on the Beverly Hills 90210 soundtrack (where the song originated) as well as the commercial single release have a guitar solo.

It appears the 'piano' version was used for the music video, but anyone know if it ever appeared on anything prior to the 'b-side' the 1996 "Sweetest Days" CD single?

Edited by Underground Dub on 07 July 2012 at 7:43pm
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

No the Brian McKnight version on From Here To There does not match the dj edit.

I must disagree with your statement that all compilations use a remixed version of Love Is. Only 2 cd's use the remixed version - Mercury 314538271 and Razor & Tie 81012.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Thanks for the info re: From Here To There.

What I meant is that I've never seen the guitar version on any domestic release by Vanessa Williams. Every Vanessa Williams CD release with "Love Is" seems to contain the piano version.

It first pops up on "The Sweetest Days" CD single and "The Sweetest Days and More - Special Collector's Edition" 4 track EP, both from 1994.

Then on the full length Greatest Hits - The First Ten Years (which I believe you've listed above).

This same master is a bonus track on Japanese pressings of 1994's The Sweetest Days album and various international singles as well:

I was trying to figure out if this mix appeared anywhere other than the music video prior to the 1994 release of The Sweetest Days.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

UndergroundDub, the first appearance of the piano version was the music video. (Incidentally, there was no video with the guitar version - which was odd because that's what was on the single and the parent album it came from, the Beverly Hills 90210 soundtrack.) I'd been looking for that piano mix for a few years until it finally showed up in a 2nd form - the first time ever on CD, the "b-side" of the "Sweetest Days" CD single, as you mentioned. No, I'm almost certain it never appeared anywhere prior to this.

I actually like the piano version as much as the guitar version. That's why I was looking for it for a few years.

I knew 2 of the songwriters of this song at the time of its release, and I had asked both if either of them had the piano version, but neither did, nor did they know where I could get it. I'd have to wait at least a year or two before it showed up on CD.

Edited by EdisonLite on 09 July 2012 at 9:32am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Thanks, EdisonLite. Great info!

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Just bumping this one up, as the version differences were not incorporated the database. It appears the version on Greatest Hits - The First Ten Years is the one with the piano solo.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version