Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I couldn't find the info on the chat board.

I have found two different versions of this song, nearly identical in length, but with a slightly different intro & a slightly different vocal take.

The first, and the one that sounds "right" to my ears as the hit version, appears on Billboard Top Hits - 1984. There's extra percussion and piano on this intro compared to the second version. It runs 4:44 generally.

The second version appears on "The Greatest Hits" (Info on Discography).

It has a much drier intro, very sparse, with basically a couple of chimes and a bass drum, and suddenly "explodes" with the regular instrumentation as the vocals start (it literally sounds like everything was punched in on the downbeat, with residual echo evident over the opening lyrics). The vocals are a different take, too. The "breakdown" middle section is also mixed more sparsely. It runs 4:52.

I don't know if this second version appears anywhere else (like on a domestic release); the notes say "previously unreleased mix."

The 4:44 version that appears EVERYWHERE else is the hit version... yes? ....And it matches the LP version, so there is no distinction between the LP version and the commercial 7" 45 RPM single?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my
understanding that the common 4:48-ish version is the LP
and the commercial 45 version, the 4:16-ish version is an
early fade of the LP and was on the promo 45, and a 7:06-
ish version was the 12".

I've never heard of any other vocal takes for the song, so
"previously unreleased" is probably just that. Don't know
why it exists, but it wasn't what was released in 1984.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Gene you must have a copy of an import version of "Greatest Hits" as the bar code on your link does not match the US bar code at all. My copy features this song in its original version and runs (4:44) not (4:52) as you indicate. My complete bar code is 0078221894029 and there is no indication in the liner notes that this song is remixed.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

davidlg1971
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2022 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote davidlg1971

NightAire wrote:

I have found two different versions of this song, nearly identical in length, but with a slightly different intro & a slightly different vocal take.

The first, and the one that sounds "right" to my ears as the hit version, appears on Billboard Top Hits - 1984. There's extra percussion and piano on this intro compared to the second version. It runs 4:44 generally.

The second version appears on "The Greatest Hits" (Info on Discography).

It has a much drier intro, very sparse, with basically a couple of chimes and a bass drum, and suddenly "explodes" with the regular instrumentation as the vocals start (it literally sounds like everything was punched in on the downbeat, with residual echo evident over the opening lyrics).
The vocals are a different take, too. The "breakdown" middle section is also mixed more sparsely. It runs 4:52.

So...that 4:52 drier intro / sparser mix appeared prior to that Greatest Hits CD. I recently bought a 1993 UK Old Gold Thompson Twins 3-track CD-Single with that mix.

I updated the Discogs notes to reflect the inclusion of the alternate version. So now that's 2 UK releases of that mix on CD; it makes me wonder if they released that mix in the UK during its original chart run?

Edited by davidlg1971 on 14 January 2022 at 12:10pm
Back to Top View davidlg1971's Profile Search for other posts by davidlg1971

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2022 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

The alternate mix was not the UK single release. I have the UK 7" and it's the normal LP/hit single version, same as US.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version