Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Get Dancin’" - Disco Tex... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 January 2006 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Edtop40 says he has a Disco Tex & The Sex-O-Lettes "Get Dancin'" 45 that runs 3:12 and is an early fade of the longer 45 version running 3:52 that has most often surfaced on CD. That being said, can we assume then that the CDs listed in the database where the song runs 3:14 in length should contain the comment: (short 45 version) instead of (45 version faded :34 early)?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Well, while we're on the subject, in 1975, my local radio station played a much longer version that combined the elements of both sides of the commercial 45. I have never heard about it since then. What I had to do is recreate a facsimile of it the best I could from that 45.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The database still has the "faded early" comment next to the short 45 version on CD; however, the notes next to the song title state that some copies run (3:12).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Since there are 3 different 45 pressings of "Get Dancing" which are all just early fades of the longest 45 pressing, I felt it was clearer just to state the various 45 running times by the song title rather than state 45 length #1, 45 length #2 and 45 length #3 by each cd appearance.   
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While I can see your point, Pat, it was confusing to me as a reader. In all other cases where you use the term "faded early," it always means that I'm not getting the correct version. I always try to avoid CDs that say "faded early." While it is helpful to have the times listed by the song title, I didn't want to assume that a CD with the same run time as the 45 has the correct version. Plenty of cases have emerged where the run times were the same (or very close) between the 45 and CD, and the CD turned out to be a "neither."

Perhaps the comments could be revised to read "one of three 45 versions." That way, I would know that the CD I was getting has one of the correct 45 versions.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ok,

Here's a question, the 45's that run 3:12, do they fade quickly where he says "Thank you very much"? I seem to remember hearing something similiar in 1975 on the radio.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 December 2007 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg, sorry it took a while to answer your question. I actually still have some questions of my own.

First, my only CD copy is of the (3:50) version on Music Express. At about (3:08) on this version IS the "thank you very much" part. Based on what Pat says above, the (3:12) 45s would fade at this point, exactly as you remember.

That said, I have in front of me a promo copy with a (3:53) printed time (actual 3:52) that says "Special Edit" CH-3004-DJ. This is NOT the same edit that appears on my compilation CD. In fact, this copy ALSO fades out at the "thank you very much" part; however, that part starts around (3:42) on this version.

It is very possible that this "Special Edit" can be edited from the LP version, and it might even be an early fade of the LP. I'll have to track down a copy of the LP version to be able to compare.

Finally, I would like to point out that the database currently has an "LP version" designation for two different CDs: one runs (4:10) and the other runs (4:27). Does anyone know which one is the vinyl LP's run time?

Edited by aaronk on 18 December 2007 at 2:21am

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

To explain why there are different timings for the LP version of Get Dancin', this is due to the fact that the tracks on the vinyl LP were segued together with lots of audience applause interspersed and the compilers of the two cd's that contain the LP version, elected to index the beginning and ending of Get Dancin' differently. If I were indexing this track, I would assign a running time of (4:10) to the vinyl LP version.

Ed, if you get to read this, what is the stated time of your short 45 version Of Get Dancin' and what is the matrix number?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thank you, Pat. That makes sense!

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2010 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hello All,

Reviving this older topic.
I've been trying to fill in missing hits to my mp3 library and finally got around to this one. I had to refresh my memory as to what version i wanted, so i checked my LP and remembered i don't like the added "stadium audience" noise they added to the LP.
So i checked all my cd's and i didn't have one with the 45 version, only the "neither" which is an edit of the LP mix.
But i did recall i had the song on a K-tel album, one of the few that actually had a quality vinyl pressing, and very good sound (only 5 or 6 tracks per side.)
Being sure they must have used the 45 version, I dubbed it from there.
But, I noticed it was running quite a long time. Turned out this album has the 45 mix, but it runs the full length to 7:20.   
I was wondering, was there ever a 12" single for this (i thought '75 was a little early for those).
So i was wondering if this version ever appeared anywhere else. If i am reading the notes above correctly, the 2nd half if this version was put on the 45 as part 2?   Interesting.
So i can't help but wonder, what this doin' 'ere?

Well, for the curious, the K-tel album is merely called "Superhits By the Superstars" from 1975, and is a 2-record set. The catalog # is TU 2450. some folks here may have it and not even realize, as i didn't.

PS - in my looking up info on this song and its production, seeing Bob Crewe's name didn't surprise me. Seeing Kenny Nolan's name did. Co-wrote, and also provided vocals! Cool.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just got in a promo 45 for this. Odd that the PLUG side or hit side on this promo 45 is mono, while Part II on the flip side is stereo.

CH-3004-AM is the deadwax.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat....sorry it took a year and a half to get back to regarding your question!!!.....the stated run time is 3:56 and the info on the run out groove is "ch-3004-as x kendun a"

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Ed is that time of (3:56) the stated time of the "short version" of this 45 that Todd reports you stating has a run time of (3:12)? I am still trying to sort out the facts surrounding this (3:12) version.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i'll review the 45 again tonight when i get home and post my findings....

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as chelsea 3004 states the run time on the label as 3:56 but actually runs 3:14, not 3:12 as i previously had reported to todd......the song is identical to the version from the "mega hits" cd but faded out to the 3:14 mark.....it does NOT state any version ie:short version on the label.......i hope this helps.......please note the run out groove info listed above..........

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Mark,

What you have on that K-Tel LP must be the one i've been
looking for all these years. But, the one I am looking foe
has the crowd noise.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi again,

Well, the long version does have the crowd noise that the 45 has, it's the 45 mix, just the whole thing.
It does not have the "extra" dense large-audience noise they dubbed over the whole LP.

Hits Man; be happy to send a wav file of that if you like. I dubbed it from the LP awhile back. Send me a PM if you'd like.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Anyone know why the promo 45 I picked up is in mono? Was the commercial 45 mono too?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

commercial 45 is in stereo...

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I finally picked up the promo copy of Get Dancin "Special DJ edit". Side one is mono and listed as "Get Dancin". Side two is stereo but listed as "Get Dancing Part II". However it's the SAME RECORDING as the mono A side. My guess is that both sides are in reality "Get Dancin Part II", and Chelsea was looking to extend airplay so they sent radio the stock B side version as "Special DJ edit". But I don't have a stock copy to compare.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 08 February 2012 at 5:58pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version