Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: B.J. Thomas - Complete Scepter Singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 February 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote jono

This is looking to be a much needed release from Real Gone Records. It's posted on amazon to be released March 27 (the people at BSN also notified us of its release).

Hopefully they'll continue to get the correct single versions. The 45 version of "The Eyes of A New York Woman" is still MIA on cd, I believe. I think "Mighty Clouds of Joy" is, too.

I'm hoping Real Gone Records continues this series where Collector's Choice left off...I'm looking forward to the Mark Lindsey Singles set as well.

Jon O.
Back to Top View jono's Profile Search for other posts by jono

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Awesome! Another must-buy!
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

This one sure will be. Love B.J.'s Scepter Singles.

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Only one of the three mixes of "Rock and Roll Lullabye" has been released on CD as far as I know. I believe the release history of this song is as follows:

First the long stereo single was released, radio got that as the stereo side of the promo 45, on the other side was a dedicated mono mix which was edited.

Then apparently the song was mixed again for stereo, and edited similar but not exactly the same as DJ mono side. Radio stations then got a new DJ 45 with the original mono mix/edit on one side and the new stereo mix/edit on the other.

Stock copies were then issued with the shorter, new mix, which also appeared on the album. As far as I know, only that final stereo mix has been issued on CD.

So I believe that still missing on CD is the original long stereo mix, and DJ mono mix.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 11 February 2012 at 4:55pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2012 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

This set is all mono except for the last six tracks. There is a chance they were able to track down the longer stereo single version of "Rock And Roll Lullaby." Track list is on the Real Gone Music site.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

This is great news and I'm looking forward to getting this upcoming B.J. Thomas set! Up until now, the only disc where one could obtain a handful of B.J. Thomas' Top 40 singles in their original mono mixes was the Best of CD on Collectables, but the sound quality is less than spectacular on that disc.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Bondy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bondy

I have the long version of Rock and Roll Lullaby 4:30 on a Scepter stereo 45, the problem is that the guitar in the beginning is buried. I hope they can locate the session tapes and remix it correctly.
Back to Top View Bondy's Profile Search for other posts by Bondy

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Bondy wrote:
I have the long version of Rock and Roll Lullaby 4:30 on a Scepter stereo 45, the problem is that the guitar in the beginning is buried. I hope they can locate the session tapes and remix it correctly.

If they remixed it correctly, that would not be true to the 45 mix then :-) I assume that most of the session masters are likely long gone anyway.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The song "Mama" on this new set does NOT have the background vocals that the same song has on the Rhino Greatest Hits CD (in the first minute you can hear them clearly on the Rhino disc). Every listing for this song is marked either 45 length or LP length, but if that is accurate then where are the background vocals on this new release?

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 29 June 2012 at 5:34pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Good catch Santi. After looking further at this, I discovered that the LP version is missing the background vocalists while the 45 version does include the background vocalists. So yes, the new "Complete Singles" cd does not feature the 45 version of "Mama".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

i never knew that about the LP version, having only ever heard the 45 version
(in both stereo and mono). Just HOW did a singles collection from a
reputable label that is focusing on singles collections get it wrong?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Although I don't have the entire disc, someone forwarded me a copy of "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" from this CD. Pat notes that there is hum on the fadeout, which is completely true. In addition, an excessive amount of hiss/noise reduction has been applied, and the sound quality is pretty poor in my opinion.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 September 2012 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

The noise reduction on this collection is a bit heavier than I'd like to hear but it's not as bad as the Mark Lindsay collection where "Silver Bird" is very affected by it. Some songs on this collection sound like the original mono 45 mixes and sound pretty good, like "Hooked on a Feeling" and "I Just Can't Help Believing", but "No Love At All" sounds like the stereo version summed to mono. Unless there was another mono mix issued that I'm not aware of, the actual mono 45 version of this song is distinguished by "up front" horns on the intro. This collection has the buried horns which leads me to believe it's the stereo version summed.

"Mighty Clouds of Joy", doesn't match the mono single, or at least the one I have. The mono single features a mix with the piano hotter, and for longer periods than the stereo mix (on the stereo mix during the refrain the piano drops down to a very low level into the mix, barely noticable but still there. On the mono mix you can hear the piano at a higher level all into the "Hallelujah part of the refrain) So on this CD, its either an alternate mono mix featuring lower piano, or its the stereo mix summed.

While "Rock and Roll Lullabye" is the original 4:30 length for a change, the mix on this CD does not match the DJ 45 and stock copies I have. On all versions of this song, as all of the intstrumentation kicks in, this song features what sounds like two drum sticks clicking together through the song. Those drum sticks are mixed in the center on my 4:30 vinyl, but on the Scepters singles CD the drum sticks start in the right channel, move to the center, move to the left, and at some points in the song are hard to find. The rest of the mix is close the the vinyl that I have, although some of the guitars sound slightly lower. As mentioned earlier in this string, I know of three mixes of this song that were issued on vinyl, this sounds like a fourth mix, possibly the closest master that they could find. Scepter tapes for a time belonged to Springboard International, I'm surprised that any tapes survived THAT mess.

"Most of All" does not match the mono 45 that I own. On my 45 there are no horns following the 2nd verse line: "Well I've been starin' at the rain and I've been thinking". There ARE horns on the stereo version and there ARE horns on this Scepter collection, so its probably another example of a stereo source summed to mono.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 29 September 2012 at 6:09am

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2012 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" also does not match the 45 that I own. There is no trumphet correction at the end of the song on this CD (which is heard on the mono 45), so this another stereo version fold down to mono.

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote jono

[QUOTE=Bill Cahill]"No Love At All" sounds like the stereo version summed to mono. Unless there was another mono mix issued that I'm not aware of, the actual mono 45 version of this song is distinguished by "up front" horns on the intro. This collection has the buried horns which leads me to believe it's the stereo version summed.

Agree 100%, Bill. The horns sound buried on the Complete Scepter Singles cd compared to my 45...not only in the intro (where it's especially notable) but also in the choruses. The song really loses its punch and excitement without the upfront horns, in my opinion.

It makes me wonder how many tapes actually existed for the mono single mixes, as it seems like many of these tracks are either stereo mixes folded down or mono LP mixes. I guess the good news is we're discovering more differences between B.J. Thomas' 45's and LP's than previously thought. At least in the mixes (Thanks, Bill!).

It appears to me that certain labels, like Scepter, perhaps, went with dedicated mono mixes more often than other labels. At least up to a certain point. I could probably add Buddah and ABC/Dunhill (and maybe Columbia??), but this is probably another topic. Usually if I see a 45 on one of those labels from the late 60's to early 70's I try to snatch it up.

Jon O.

bitman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote bitman

I have the Real Gone set, but not the original 45s to compare to, so just going from the thread here I'd think in the future it would be nice if Real Gone would note if the original 45 masters could not be located what they used in their place.
Back to Top View bitman's Profile Search for other posts by bitman

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The Dionne Warwick Scepter 45's "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and "The Green Grass Starts to Grow" are mono mixes which became apparent when I summed them to mono. There may be more.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2013 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Bill Cahill wrote:

"Most of All" does not match the mono 45 that I own. On my 45 there are no horns following the 2nd verse line: "Well I've been starin' at the rain and I've been thinking". There ARE horns on the stereo version and there ARE horns on this Scepter collection, so its probably another example of a stereo source summed to mono.

My U.S. commercial 45 of "Most Of All" does have the horns following the line Bill mentions, at (0:51). There are two numbers in the run-out groove of my 45: "61509-1E" and at another point there is a small triangle followed by "82924".

Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

Your 45 of "Most Of All" was pressed in California by
Monarch Records. The Delta triangle following the 82924 job
number is an indication of this.

jono
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote jono

Paul C wrote:
Bill Cahill wrote:

My U.S. commercial 45 of "Most Of All" does have the horns following the line Bill mentions, at (0:51). There are two numbers in the run-out groove of my 45: "61509-1E" and at another point there is a small triangle followed by "82924".

My mono 45 matches Paul's, with the horns. Same run-out groove #'s, too, except I can't tell if it states 61509-1E or 61569-1E. Or maybe 615109-1E. I did receive it from a seller from California, however.

Jon O.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version