Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Don’t Wanna Try" - Frankie J Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 January 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have Frankie J's "Don't Wanna Try on commercial CD single, which has an actual run time of 4:09 (the printed time on the label is 4:07). I notice it's a different mix than the one appearing on the Now 13 various artists CD (UMG Recordings B0000556). Some of the differences between the CD single and Now 13 CD include:

==> The wind chimes that open "Don't Wanna Try" run about 1.8 seconds on the Now disc before the piano begins, at which point the chimes dissipate shortly after. On the single intro, the wind chimes only last about 0.4 seconds before the piano kicks in. However, the chimes can continue to be heard throughout the first :06 of the song. Meanwhile, the chimes have a different tonal quality between the two mixes.

==> At the :41 mark, a distinct echo can be heard when Frankie sings "four years go" on the single version. There is no echo at this point on the Now CD.

==> At the very end of the single version, the final piano note trails off for :04 after the vocals finish. But at the tail end of the song on the Now disc, the piano stops and the last couple seconds have the vocals trailing off a capella.

There are numerous other differences, but these above examples are meant to serve as a guideline. So my question... Is "Don't Wanna Try" on the Now 13 CD the same as the album version (which I don't have), or is it perhaps a radio mix that we haven't yet uncovered?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I listened to a 1:30 snippet of "Don't Wanna Try" from Frankie J's parent CD What's a Man to Do on I-Tunes and Amazon and it's the same version as the one on the CD single. I've not been able to locate any promo single info for the song, so for the time being I'd say the version on the Now 13 CD can be described as a remix.

Smokin' TomGary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Smokin' TomGary

I have a Columbia promo test pressing with a Source Date February 28, 2003 with a listed time of 4:07; actual 4:06. I do hear the reverb under his voice before, through, and after the :41 mark.

Australian import CD 399700-110791 with 4 cuts:
Don't Wanna Try 4:07 actual
Spanglish 4:06 actual
Al B. Rich Radio Edit 4:15 actual
Logictone Dance Remix 3:50 actual
This CD has no listed times.
Back to Top View Smokin' TomGary's Profile Search for other posts by Smokin' TomGary

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've purchased Frankie J's "Don't Wanna Try" on Amazon as a digital download track from the parent album What's a Man to Do and compared it to the commercial CD single release. It turns out there are numerous mix differences between the single and album that should warrant 45/LP version comments in the database. Perhaps the most easily identifiable difference occurs from the :41 to :45 mark where during the verse "four years go down the drain", there is a vocal overdub of Frankie J distinctly echoing those words on the single version, but the echo is not heard at all on the album version.

And, no, the album version is not the same as the remix appearing on the Now 13 CD (UMG Recordings B0000556) discussed previously.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 17 August 2012 at 10:13pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version