Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Listen to the Music" - Doobie Brothers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 December 2011 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to the database, Doobie Brothers "Listen to the Music" has a run time of 4:32 on their Toulouse Street CD (Warner Bros. 2634). I don't know if this run time reflects a typo or a different pressing because the song runs 4:43 on my copy of the Toulouse Street disc and this length is more in line with all other LP version appearances of this song on CD.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim passed along to me that his commercial 45 copy of the Doobie Brothers' "Listen to the Music" has an actual and printed run time of 3:26. I only mention this because database CDs containing a "45 version" comment run from 3:18-3:26.

By the way, there are a handful of CDs that contain the comment: "45 version with :20 additional music before fadeout". Is this basically just another way of stating: "45 version, but runs :20 longer"?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

That twenty seconds is the length of the edit needed to create the single version.

If you listen to the music (all the time), the edit starts at 2:58. It's on the downbeat/snare during the word "tiiiime." Remove the segment to a very similar spot (during "tiiiime") at 3:18. An easy one.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Plastic Steel wrote:
That twenty seconds is the length of the edit needed to create the single version.

If you listen to the music (all the time), the edit starts at 2:58. It's on the downbeat/snare during the word "tiiiime." Remove the segment to a very similar
spot (during "tiiiime") at 3:18. An easy one.

I don't think that's right. The edit comes at (2:44), and the part from (2:44)-(3:24) should be excised. Then you still have a file that's about 40 seconds too
long, so that needs to be removed before you fade from about (3:16)-(3:26).

Edited by sriv94 on 14 January 2017 at 7:47pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

Gah. So sorry. I was working off the version on Best of the Doobies, which is 3:47. A thousand pardons. Time to get my glasses checked.

Edited by Plastic Steel on 14 January 2017 at 8:23pm
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

LP version (4:43)

The LP version is readily available on quite a few CDs, but I only have it on Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000). It sounds excellent here, with great dynamic range, nice EQ, seemingly low-generation source tapes, and no hint of noise reduction on the fade. I'm sure that it's a digital clone of some other disc, and I'd bet that it's Warner Brothers' Toulouse Street , but that's pure speculation.

45 version (3:26)

The 45 is an easy edit of the LP version - one edit, on a downbeat that starts the high note in the word "whoa" at 2:44, remove the 80 beats from 2:44 to 3:24 of the LP version, and fade what's left from 3:16 to 3:26.

I have four distinct masterings for the 45 version.

The oldest is Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 3 1972 (1989), where it sounds just fine. Maybe not the lowest-generation source tapes, but excellent dynamic range, nice EQ, and no noise reduction. The same analog transfer is used for Time-Life's Superhits Vol. 16 The Early '70s (1992) and its digitally identical repackaging as Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 13 The Early '70s (1992), both of which fade a few second earlier than Sounds. Note that these volumes of Superhits and AM Gold have their left and right channels correct (some others have the left and right channels swapped).

Next is Warner Archives/Rhino's Greatest Hits (2001), where it sounds great. It sounds like lower-generation source tapes than the Time-Life disc above, along with the same other nice features (nice dynamic range, nice EQ, no NR). It's a teeny bit loud, so that there's a small amount of clipping, but it doesn't really affect the sound. There are digital clones on Time-Life's Legends Crank It Up (2003; digitally exactly 1.25 dB quieter), and Reader's Digest's 4-CD Time In A Bottle (2006; includes some stepwise level changes).

The version on Warner Archives/Rhino's Long Train Runnin' 1970-2000 (Box Set) runs a little slow.

The version on Time-Life's Classic Soft Rock Vol. 5 California Dreamin' (2006) has a slighly boomy EQ and isn't based on the masterings listed above.

Best Of The Doobies version (3:46)

The edit is in the same place as the 45, but the fade is about 20 seconds later.

This version first appeared on Warner Brothers' Best Of The Doobies (copyright 1976). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 6 FM Hits (1991) - about 4 dB louder and clips a bit
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 11 The Early '70s (1994) - digitally exactly 3.3 dB louder
  • Simitar's Number Ones Classic Rock (1998) - too loud and clips a lot
My preferences

For the LP version, I chose Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s (2000), but I only had the LP version on one CD.

For the 45 version, I chose Warner Archives/Rhino's Greatest Hits (2001).

For the Best Of The Doobies version, I chose Warner Brothers' Best Of The Doobies (copyright 1976).

Edited by crapfromthepast on 18 June 2018 at 5:50am

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Crapfromthepast:

There is actually two edits on my 45 version.

One at 2:45 of the Lp and the other at 3:37 of the Lp.

The 'Best Of' version has only one edit (at 2:44).

Please check your 45 and compare!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Andy,

Does that mean that all database entries that say 45
version with :20 additional music are improperly edited
like the Best Of?

Am I to assume that all CD's that run around 3:26 are
correctly edited?

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Good ears, Andy!

45 version (3:27)

I found a needledrop of the 45, and there are indeed two edits. The mix is also much more centered than the LP version, with less drastic panning. I don't think it's a dedicated 45 mix, just a more narrow mix than the LP mix.

To find the edit points, you can focus on the high-pitched guitar that's just left of center in the mix. That's really the only indicator of where you are in the last part of the LP version.

Here are editing instructions, using the LP version timing from Singers And Songwriters Vol. 9 Early '70s:

Segment 1
Extends from 0:00 to 2:43.3 of the 45 and LP versions
Ends on a downbeat that starts the high note in the word "whoa"

Remove the 80 beats from 2:43.3 to 3:23.9 of the LP version.

Segment 2
Starts on a downbeat that starts the high note in the word "whoa"
24 beats long (I think, maybe plus or minus a beat)
Extends from 2:43.3 to 2:56.9 (I think) of the 45 version
Extends from 3:23.9 to 3:37.5 (I think) of the LP version
Ends on a downbeat that starts the word "time" (I think)

Remove the 36 beats from 3:37.5 (I think) to 3:57.9 (I think) of the LP version. These times could be plus or minus a beat or two, but it's definitely 36 beats that's removed.

Segment 3
Starts on a downbeat that starts the word "time" (I think)
53 beats long (I think)
Extends from 2:56.9 (I think) to 3:26.9 of the 45 version
Extends from 3:57.9 (I think) to 4:27.9 of the LP version

Fade
41 beats long
Extends from 3:03.7 to 3:26.9 of the 45 version
Extends from 4:04.7 to 4:27.9 of the LP version

Your mixdown will run 3:26.9, with edits at 2:43.3 and 2:56.9, and a fade from 3:03.7 to 3:26.9.

Best Of The Doobies version (3:46)

The Best Of version doesn't have the second edit, so it's just the first edit, then an early fade. It's not just 20 seconds longer than the 45, but is a different edit.

I discovered that the version on Time-Life's Classic Soft Rock Vol. 5 California Dreamin' (2006) doesn't have either of the two edits above, and seems to be just an early fade of the LP version.

The other 45 versions on CD seem to truly be the 45 versions, but I can't tell if the second edit is in the right spot, and not a beat too early or too late.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version