Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The end of the CD era - 2013? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2049
Posted: 14 November 2022 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Oh and I meant to add this about the comments of the CD becoming a
dinosaur. True, but I NEVER NEVER thought vinyl would have a comeback, but
it is - which means the younger generation has to buy turntables for them. So
my theory is, 20 years from now, CDs will come back and young kids will have
to buy newly-made CD players.

If it can happen to vinyl, why not CDs?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 14 November 2022 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Breaking News:

The CD is still alive!

__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
headstar
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 25 November 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Posted: 15 November 2022 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote headstar

EdisonLite wrote:
Oh and I meant to add this about the comments of the CD becoming a
dinosaur. True, but I NEVER NEVER thought vinyl would have a comeback, but
it is - which means the younger generation has to buy turntables for them. So
my theory is, 20 years from now, CDs will come back and young kids will have
to buy newly-made CD players.

If it can happen to vinyl, why not CDs?

I suspect the loudness war had a lot to do with the vinyl resurgence. As producers would brickwall the CD version of an album and do a much better mastering for the vinyl (aka can't brickwall vinyl). Also the trend of people who weren't even born in the 80s having "nostalgia" for the 80s and it's dominant media formats.

Though the real CD-Killers have been legal/illegal downloads and streaming (not just services like Spotify, but every song is on Youtube for free).

Edited by headstar on 15 November 2022 at 1:24am
Back to Top View headstar's Profile Search for other posts by headstar
 
Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 23 May 2008
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 456
Posted: 15 November 2022 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

headstar wrote:

I suspect the loudness war had a lot to do with the vinyl resurgence. As producers would brickwall the CD version of an album and do a much better mastering for the vinyl (aka can't brickwall vinyl).


Yes but records were still compressed in their day. Listen to some early 90s Capital/EMI Releases such as Hysteria by Def Leppard, or Brigade by Heart. Lower modulation for sure, but like a brickwalled CD, no dynamics. It sounds like FM radio on your turntable.

__________________
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage
 
Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 October 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1326
Posted: 15 November 2022 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Jody Thornton wrote:
Yes but records were still compressed in their day. Listen to some early 90s Capital/EMI
Releases such as Hysteria by Def Leppard, or Brigade by Heart. Lower modulation for sure, but like a brickwalled CD,
no dynamics.


It goes back further than that. There's almost no dynamic range in most Dave Clark 5 songs, and they've been that
way since the mid 60s!

I have to wonder how much of the vinyl purchased today actually gets played vs having been bought either to be cool
or as a potential collectors item.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



This page was generated in 0.0781 seconds.