Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Mr. Bojangles" - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 January 2006 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I believe there were 2 different 45's issued for this title.

One with (which Pat notes as LP version) and one without the "Uncle Charlie" prelude.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my 45 (liberty 56197) has a stated run time of 5:15 AND includes the spoken intro for 1:38 and then the stereo song starts and runs 5:15 in total...

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Both the RR 45 and my personal copy are the 5:15 version. Which begs the question, anyone here actually have the shorter 45 without the spoken part? I'm not sure if I've ever personally seen one but I've heard they do exist.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Unfortunately, I just have the reissue (when it was reissued as an oldie 45) and it does not have the spoken part. I always assumed the original 45s were this same way. This was always the way I heard it on the radio.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The original 45 rpm was issued with Mr. Bojangles on both sides. Side A was the longer version with the spoken intro. The B side of it isn't just the same song with the spoken part lopped off, it actually has different instrumentation starting the song off, and may be different entirely but i've never compared the two side by side. On cd, however, i believe the true B side version has appeared on only one cd, while a few have the A side version without the spoken intro part.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Tom, do you recall which CD is the only one with the true B side of "Mr. Bojangles"? I don't recall this being in Pat's book, but it definitely seems like important info for it.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I had been sent an mp3 of the B side version a long time ago, I lost it in a computer crash two years ago and never had it sent to me after that, but i'm told that it is on "Super Hits of the 70's: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 4" on Rhino.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I was just sent an mp3 of the original LP version of the song with the spoken intro off of "Twenty Years Of Dirt: The Best Of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band", and then i was sent an mp3 of the version from the Curb label cd "Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Greatest Hits", and the Curb cd has the B side version. The song is essentially the same but if you listen to the opening notes of the song that follow the spoken intro, then listen to the opening notes of the Curb cd version, theyre clearly different, as they were on the original 45 too.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just did an A/B comparison of "Mr. Bojangles" on my copy of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's 20 Years of Dirt: The Best of CD to the 3:33 version I have on the group's Certified Hits disc (Capitol 34451) and I concur with TomDiehl1's conclusion that the acoustic guitar intros are definitely different. That being said, it looks like the Certified Hits disc contains the alleged 45 B-side version as well.

It's interesting to learn that the "Uncle Teddy and his dog Charlie" intro was included on at least some pressings of the 45 because, like EdisonLite, I've never once heard radio play "Mr. Bojangles" with this spoken intro. So this leads me to wonder... Do DJ 45 copies contain the LP version with the spoken intro simply chopped off, or do they feature the reworked version that supposedly appears on the commercial 45 B-side?

By the way, it's good to see some of the regulars from the Both Sides Now stereo oldies message board now posting here. Welcome aboard, guys!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 17 January 2006 at 11:25pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2006 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Please forgive this total thread crap, but for some reason I keep imagining Cartman from "South Park" singing "Mr. Bojangles":

"Mistah Beeuuuuuu-jangles..."

I don't think he ever sang it on the show, so I don't know why I keep hearing that in my head, but it keeps making me laugh. (And, no, I haven't been drinking.)
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 January 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have ordered a dj copy of "Mr. Bojangles" and when I receive it, I will update everyone and change the database entries if necessary.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

OK I have obtained the dj 45 of Mr. Bojangles and now I can try to explain the history of Mr. Bojangles. The dj copy does not indicate a "plug" side but one side is Mr. Bojangles with the Uncle Charlie prologue running (5:15) and the flip side is Mr. Bojangles with the Uncle Charlie prologue edited out running (3:35). There were 2 different commercial 45's of Mr. Bojangles. The first featured Mr. Bojangles with the Uncle Charlie prologue and a flip side titled "Uncle Charlie Interview #2/Spanish Fandango" which runs (2:30) not (2:36) as stated on the record label. The 2nd commercial 45 features Mr. Bojangles with the Uncle Charlie prologue but the flip side is an alternate take of Mr. Bojangles. When I tried to explain all of this in the "title comments" in the database I found that I exceeded the currently allowable character string length so I will have my programmer give me more space and eventually this explanation will appear in the "title comments" section.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<The 2nd commercial 45 features Mr. Bojangles with the Uncle Charlie prologue but the flip side is an alternate take of Mr. Bojangles. >

So, Pat, in your opinion, what is the version on "Super Hits of the '70s, Vol. 4"? You formerly had labeled this the "45 version". Would you now consider this an alternate version, a radio version, or 1 (of 2) 45 versions?

I ask because I wasn't listening to radio in 1971, so if I want to use the version (i.e mix) that WAS played on the radio back then, would the mix on "Super Hits of the '70s" qualify?

(And I welcome anyone else's opinion on this matter, too.)

Edited by EdisonLite on 24 January 2006 at 9:40pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for the update, Pat. What I find most interesting about your findings is that the Uncle Charlie prologue appears on all commercial and DJ 45 copies, and yet I don't believe I've ever heard the prologue on the radio. (Granted, I wasn't around in 1971 to hear how Top 40 stations at the time were playing the song!)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 24 January 2006 at 9:42pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2006 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I, too, have never heard the Uncle Charlie Prologue on the radio, and though I wasn't listening to the radio in '71, I did start listening in '72.

Chris Quinn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2006 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote Chris Quinn

Back when this song was on the charts, we played both
sides of the DJ 45 at WIXY 1260 in Cleveland. The
longer version with the talk intro would get played
between 7PM and 6AM only, when time would allow for
such "extended" versions. I still have an original
DJ 45 in my collection. Can't really say how other
markets aired the record.
Chris Quinn
Back to Top View Chris Quinn's Profile Search for other posts by Chris Quinn

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 January 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Just look in the database for the answer to your question of how I now describe the version of Mr. Bojangles on the Rhino cd "Superhits of The 70's Vol. 4".

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Can someone explain the difference in the guitar parts of the different intros? I'm comparing the intro of "Super Hits Vol. 4" with "Best Of" and it seems like the same notes are played on both versions, to me.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2007 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Tom Diehl -- what is the difference that you heard in the guitar intro parts between the Curb CD and the "Twenty Years of Dirt" CD? I assume my "Super Hits vol. 4" CD and "Best Of" contain these 2 different recordings as well, and I can't hear the difference, but since you're the only one on the board that's pointed out there's a difference in those guitar parts, I was hoping you could elaborate.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

It is literally just a 4 second difference. Download the following mp3 (right click on it to download is necessary):

NGDB a/b

I synced up the guitar intros from the Twenty Years Of Dirt cd (right channel, this had to be speed corrected as it ran faster in speed), and the Super Hits Of the 70's: Have A Nice Day Vol. 4 cd (left channel)....and i made an mp3 of just the first couple seconds of the song as that is where the difference is...

Edited by TomDiehl1 on 02 February 2007 at 7:14am

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version