Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: En Vogue - Hold On Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 January 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I used to have the cassette single for En Vogue "Hold On," but it's long gone. However, if my memory hasn't failed me, I remember a difference between the cassette single and LP versions that I have a question about.

On the cassette single version, I recall that the song was exactly the same as the LP version, with the exception of one line. On the fadeout of the cassette single version, the lyrics are:

"He'll be there for you; he'll want to f*** you all the time."

Later, I purchased the full-length CD, and these lyrics are changed to "he'll want to have you all the time," which matches the "Radio Version With Intro" from my 12" single.

Did original pressings of Born To Sing have the uncensored lyrics, and then the song was later replaced with the censored radio version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

would you like an mp3 file of the cassingle version to compare yourself???

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Sure, Ed! Did you check out those lyrics?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

no, but i will tonite..........aaron, in the future, if you need any mp3s of 45 or cassingles, just ask, i'd love to provide them for you, since you've helped me so much with the editing process.......

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

We need to look at "Hold On" in greater detail, especially with regard to the cassette single perhaps being different from the LP version. Here is what I have:

dj cd single Atlantic PRCD 3386 has two tracks. track 1 called the "radio edit" runs 4:15 not 4:30 as stated on the cd and has the "f*** you" line at 3:53. Track 2 called "edited version" runs 4:21 not 4:35 as stated and has the "f*** you" line at 3:59.

dj cd single Atlantic PRCD 3171 has three tracks. Track 1 called "radio version - with intro" runs 5:07 not 5:34 as stated and has the "f*** you" line at 4:59. Track 2 called "edited version" runs 4:21 not 4:35 as stated on the cd and has the "f*** you line" at 3:59. Track 3 called "extended version" runs 5:01 not 5:18 as stated and has the "f*** you" line at 4:39.

My "Born To Sing" cd has this song running 5:01 with the "f*** you" line at 4:39.

So what are the specifics of the commercial cassette single and where does the 3:44 version on the cd "Cosmopolitan Volume 1" Sandstone 33047 come from?

Edited by Moderator on 19 January 2006 at 9:17pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Interesting... I'm very surprised to learn that all the tracks on the "Hold On" DJ CD singles contain the f-word. Did radio stations really air the song that way? If so, you'd think the FCC would've had something to say about it!

I would assume most stations faded the song early?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I remember back in the day when a couple of our CDs in the air studio had a big sign taped to the front that read "FADE BEFORE (8:88)!!!" It wouldn't surprise me if stations did an early fade. It's also possible that another DJ single was released with the clean versions.

Pat, are the tracks labeled as "radio version" or "LP version" on the DJ singles you have? I'll have to check my 12" single when I get home---it might be a promo copy.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 January 2006 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I will just modify my post above to include the names of the dj edits.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 January 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here is some info on my 12" single. It IS a promo copy with the following mixes and printed (not actual) run times:

A: "Radio Version With Intro" (5:08)
   "Edit" (4:15)
   "Edit With Intro" (4:58)
B: "Extended Version" (5:18)
   "Instrumental" (3:56)
   "Dub Version" (3:56)

All versions have the censored version which says "he'll want to have you."

Although my CD copy of Born To Sing is in Michigan, I have "Hold On" dubbed from that disc onto a CD-R, and it is also the censored version. The only logical conclusion is that more than one version of the full-length CD exists. As for the promo copies, Atlantic must have goofed when they were pressing the dj cd single. Anyone have a promo copy that IS censored?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

ok, guys.....this one needs to be reviewed further....

the version from the cd "born to sing" and for that matter the version from "billboard #1 hits of the 90's" DO NOT contain the cassingle version....the cassingle version and these cd versions are the same till the break at the 3:54 mark....then the cassingle goes into a non vocal loop while the full cd version has the vocals over it......the cassingle picks up the vocal again at the 4:14 mark...my cassingle has the clean fade out "he'll want to have you all the time"........the only place i know to have the correct cassingle version is the german import cd single issued as atlantic 7567-86178.....the third track labelled as "radio version with intro" which runs 5:07 on the cd single is the same version but the cassingle version fades out to 5:03 while this cd single version runs to 5:07....hope this helps

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 August 2006 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

This is very interesting info, Ed. Thanks for passing that along.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Just wanted to add that on the Best Of En Vogue CD the track runs 5:04 and has the "have you" lyric.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My "Best Of" cd has the line "he'll want to f*** you" at 4:39. Are you sure that line on your copy is "he'll want to hold you"? Perhaps there are 2 different pressings of this cd - mine has the matrix number 62322-2 RE-1 01.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I just played it again...it has an identical matrix (3 62322-2 RE-1 01) and clearly says "have" instead of "fuck".

I purchased it the day of release in 1999 (I just noticed the copyright on the CD states 1998, but it was definately 1999).
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Moderator wrote:

dj cd single Atlantic PRCD 3386 has two tracks. track 1 called the "radio edit" runs 4:15 not 4:30 as stated on the cd and has the "f*** you" line at 3:53. Track 2 called "edited version" runs 4:21 not 4:35 as stated and has the "f*** you" line at 3:59.

The 3 of us involved with music at the station listed to both tracks on PRCD 3386 repeatedly, aware of the possible "situation." None of us could make out the "f" word at all, for either track 1 or 2. We played Cut 1, the listed (4:30), actual (4:15) version on-air, right off that promo CD single. We received no complaints, and to us it was a non-issue. I always thought "One Of A Kind (Love Affair)" and "Who Are You", which MCA sent us a UK Polydor Import 45 of in '78, were both FAR more blatant and many years earlier - and we played them on-air, f-word and all.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2007 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

underground dub

does the best of cd

(S) (5:03) Eastwest 62322 Best Of   

contain the proper cassingle version of this song???...or not...

Edited by edtop40 on 02 February 2007 at 9:20pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 February 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have the Best Of CD, and it has the censored LP version that does NOT have the extra non-vocal loop on your cassingle, Ed. The funny thing is that more than one cassingle must exist, because I clearly remember my cassingle having the dirty "f" word in it. I cannot, however, remember if it had the extra music section in it or not.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2007 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I just found my (5:07) vinyl copy of this 45, which has the line "He'll want to have you" on the fade, not the f word.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have the US commercial 45 and four different versions of this on CD, and none of them have any naughty words on the fade-out. On those that don't fade out completely before the line, it's "have".

The commercial US 45 (Atlantic 7-87984, matrix ST-A-58272-2, printed 5:07, actual 5:06) has a vocal intro until 1:05, and has a 32-beat instrumental portion from 3:54-4:13.

The commercial US 45 version is found on Atlantic's Year In Review: 1990 (Atlantic PRCD 3674-2, 1990, printed 5:07, actual 5:05), although the sound is compressed/maximized. Same vocal intro until 1:05, same 32-beat instrumental portion from 3:54-4:13.

There's a shorter version on Big Hits '90 (PolyTel Canada 845 119-2, 1990, actual 5:03). These PolyTel Canada discs typically have the LP versions, although I don't have Born To Sing to compare. The vocal intro lasts until 1:06, the 32-beat instrumental portion that's found on the 45 is ABSENT, and at 3:54, on the words "let go", it picks up at what would be 4:13 on the 45. The fade starts about 8 beats after it does on the 45, at about 4:38, and extends about 15 seconds past the end of the 45. This version clearly has the line "have you" in it, where the line is partially masked by the quicker fade on the 45.

There's a shorter version that was most likely the UK single, since it turns up on two UK collections that typically use the UK single versions. It's on Snap It Up! Monster Hits 2 (CBS/BMG/WEA UK CD HITS 12, 1990, actual 4:24) and The Greatest Hits Of Dance (Telstar UK tcd2616, 1992, actual 4:24). The vocal intro is shortened; it removes the portion from 0:20-0:40 on the US 45, so that the vocal intro lasts until 0:45. The 32-beat instrumental break on the 45 is only 16 beats long here, and lasts from 3:33-3:43. At 3:43, after the 16-beat break, it rejoins the 45 version at the 4:13 point. It fades 32 beats earlier than the 45, with a 32-beat fade from 4:03 (4:33 point on the 45) to 4:23 (4:53 point on the 45). No naughty words - it fades before the vocals reach that point.

There's yet another version on Monster Trax (Quality Canada QRSPD-1123, 1991, actual 4:22) This is the version on Big Hits '90, which I assume is the LP version, faded very early.

As for the version on Cosmopolitan Vol. 1 (Sandstone SAN 5015 IPCD-1615, 1992, mastered by Steve Hoffman - yay! -, printed 4:50, actual 3:44), this is the only one that cuts off the vocal intro and begins right on the musical downbeat. Actually, it trims off the vocal intro and the first 16 beats of the music, coming in at the 1:15 point on the 45. More precisely, this is exactly the Big Hits '90 version (which I assume is the LP version), with the first 1:15 cut off. The 32-beat instrumental break, which doesn't exist here, would come in at 2:38.

So... I found that compared to what I believe to be the LP version (actual 5:03), the US 45 (actual 5:06) has an extra 32-beat instrumental break stuck in at the 3:54 mark, and fades about 15 seconds earlier than the LP version would (if you just stuck an extra 32 beats in there). The UK 45 (actual 4:24) shortens the vocal intro, has an extra 16 beats stuck in at the appropriate point, and fades 32 beats earlier than the US 45.

What a mess...

Edited by crapfromthepast on 30 November 2007 at 7:39pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, I was hoping to obtain one of the explicit versions of the promo single, but it looks like I have one of the clean ones.

I have just obtained PRCD 3171-2. The matrix number is 3 PR 3171-2 RE-1. I just checked and all three versions have the line "he'll want to have you."

One other thing I was hoping for was to find the "Extended Version" on CD. Track 3 is labeled as such, but this is really just the LP version---missing the instrumental loop at 3:59 and has a more gradual fade that starts earlier.

Pat, does the "Extended Version" on your CD start with music right away, or does it have the acapella intro? The true extended version on the 12" starts with music and not the acapella part.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version