Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Jennifer Lopez - Ain’t It Funny (Remix) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 June 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The database only notes "remix" next to J To Tha L-O! The Remixes. It's probably worth noting that this is the hit remix of the song (45 version?), which propelled it to #1 on the airplay charts. My station also played the album version on occasion, though mostly during the morning and midday time slots. Don't know why, since we frequently played rap music during those dayparts and the remix was obviously the hit.

Also, the song "I'm Gonna Be Alright" is listed as "remix" on two different CDs. Again, the remix was the hit version, but there are two different ones. The "Track Masters Remix" on the remixes album features 50 Cent. The hit version released to radio is called "Track Masters Remix feat. Nas" and obviously features Nas instead of 50 Cent. Based on the runtime, it appears that the Nas version is probably on the Now 10 CD.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The Remix is the first track on the two-track commercial CD single. (I believe the second track is the album edit or album version.) So I would consider the Remix to be the 45 version.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 June 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For which song?

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

JL328
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote JL328

Now 10 has the radio version of "I'm Gonna Be Alright (Track Masters Remix)", featuring Nas.

Aren't the remixes also the hit versions of both "Ignition" and "Fiesta" by R. Kelly? I don't believe I've ever heard the album versions of those songs.

I could be wrong, but I think the remix of "Luv 2 Luv Ya" by Timbaland & Magoo was the hit. Also, I think the remix of "Oochie Wally" by QB Finest was the hit. Those songs barely made the Top 40 (and I think "Luv 2 Luv Ya" was Airplay only in 1998) so I'm not sure if they are in the database. Again, I don't recall ever hearing the album versions.

I think I've heard both the original version and the remix of "Never Scared" by Bone Crusher equally. I think the original version was considered the hit but, again, not sure.
Back to Top View JL328's Profile Search for other posts by JL328

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
For which song?

Sorry... the song in the title of the thread, "Ain't It Funny."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

JL328 wrote:
Now 10 has the radio version of "I'm Gonna Be Alright (Track Masters Remix)", featuring Nas.

Aren't the remixes also the hit versions of both "Ignition" and "Fiesta" by R. Kelly? I don't believe I've ever heard the album versions of those songs.

I could be wrong, but I think the remix of "Luv 2 Luv Ya" by Timbaland & Magoo was the hit. Also, I think the remix of "Oochie Wally" by QB Finest was the hit. Those songs barely made the Top 40 (and I think "Luv 2 Luv Ya" was Airplay only in 1998) so I'm not sure if they are in the database. Again, I don't recall ever hearing the album versions.

I think I've heard both the original version and the remix of "Never Scared" by Bone Crusher equally. I think the original version was considered the hit but, again, not sure.

Yes, the "Ignition" remix was definitely the hit, and I believe you are correct about "Fiesta."

You are definitely correct about "Luv 2 Luv U." I will pull out my promo and document the details in a separate thread. That's one of my favorite '90s hip-hop tracks.

Correct again on "Oochie Wally." I have a promo for that, too, which I will pull out and document on the board.

I'm not sure about Bone Crusher...

Edited by aaronk on 17 June 2011 at 10:13am

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 June 2011 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Regarding "Ain't It Funny", Joel Whitburn cites this as being an album cut only with no designation for a cd single release. Perhaps Paul Haney could chime in here to clarify Joel's designation.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2011 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Pat Downey wrote:
Regarding "Ain't It Funny", Joel Whitburn cites this as being an album cut only with no designation for a cd single release. Perhaps Paul Haney could chime in here to clarify Joel's designation.

Pat, I'm pretty sure that "Ain't It Funny" was never released as a domestic commercial CD single. Perhaps Brian is referring to the import single???

Edited by Paul Haney on 20 June 2011 at 4:55am
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Paul Haney wrote:
Pat Downey wrote:

Pat, I'm pretty sure that "Ain't It Funny" was never released as a domestic commercial CD single. Perhaps Brian is referring to the import single???

You're right, Paul. I dug it out and turns out it's the promo CD single. God, I was just positive I had a commercial CD single for that, but I guess not.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It was recently pointed out to me that there are two Murder Remix versions. My promo CD single is currently not accessible, but I'll try to retrieve it in the next few days. The version my top 40 stations always played is the one that features ONLY J-Lo and Ja Rule.

There is also a version that features a rap verse by Cadillac Tah, and I never heard this version on the air. The version without Cadillac Tah briefly cuts to an instrumental section (which is very obvious if you're listening for it) and then inserts the "is that your boyfriend" part before the last verse. This part is therefore heard twice in the version without Cadillac Tah, but only once in the version with him.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

On a side note, radio also played the LP cut of Ain't it Funny, which was Jennifer Lopez's solo single. That's why the release song is titled remix and is not the original single. I still remember hearing it play on the radio at times, it was VERY catchy. I include it in my collection even though the remix is the justified #1 hit. Apparently no one thought better to change the name of the song, just add Murder remix to it to differentiate it. Same with "I'm Real"...ah the 2000's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLSwwkLRW0

Edited by PopArchivist on 25 July 2019 at 11:24am
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I agree. The station I worked for during this time period actually played both the original versions and remixes of "I'm Real" and "Ain't It Funny," although the remixes received significantly more airplay. I seem to recall the original mixes being dayparted to morning and midday.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

PopArchivist wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLSwwkLRW0

This is the version my station played, though we did edit
off the spoken intro, and started when the drums kicked in.

I have a very different version on a couple of TM Hitdiscs.
Is that the album version?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Its the second track on this promo. It was on her J. Lo album....

https://www.discogs.com/Jennifer-Lopez-Featuring-Ja-Rule-Ain t-It-Funny-Remix/release/2568256

Edited by PopArchivist on 25 July 2019 at 10:49pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 July 2019 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hykker, yes, that's the LP version of "Ain't It Funny," which did get played on a fair amount of stations, apparently.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Can anyone check if on their 2002 promo for Ain't It Real [Remix] if the word "ass" a few seconds in (It Must be the ass...) is censored? All versions I can find do not censor the word..

The existing US comps it is on (Lopez's GH and J-Lo's 2002 Remix album, both have ass).

I don't think Exodus by Ja Rule came out Clean, only in Explicit..

Edited by PopArchivist on 23 October 2020 at 10:29am

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

I always thought the word "remix" was quite loosely used
in the case of "I'm Real" and "Ain't It Funny". They were
nearly completely different songs than the original works.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2020 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

PopArchivist wrote:
Can anyone check if on their 2002
promo for Ain't It Real [Remix] if the word "ass" a few
seconds in (It Must be the ass...) is censored? All
versions I can find do not censor the word..

The promo CD single for the "Ain't It Funny" remix
leaves the reference to the future Mrs. A-Rod's
posterior intact.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version