Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Nu Shooz "I Can’t Wait" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 April 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Just discovered there's a difference in two similar length extended versions of Nu Shooz' 1986 hit "I Can't Wait."

One is the 6:20 length, which does not start with a clap, but rather the bass keyboard line. The second extended version is 6:15 in length. It starts with a clap, & then simply edits the intro by two bars, but is otherwise identical the rest of the way through.

Discogs lists (if you can believe the time listings on the label) 08628 as 6:20, and 08628R as 6:15.

It might be helpful to have a distinction in the database as to which 12" is which... and whether or not both versions really WERE released on vinyl.

It would also be VERY interesting to know how it was decided to edit the intro by just a few seconds but add the clap & part of the bass keyboard line in to the opening!

Edited by NightAire on 12 April 2011 at 12:21am

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Gene, my dj 12" single (Atlantic DMD-920) is the (6:20) version featured on the '80s Dance Gold cd (Hip-O B0007385) which does not feature the handclap start.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My 12" copy is the 6:15 one with the picture sleeve, as shown above at the 08628R link. I'm almost 100% certain it has the full intro, though, and does not start with the handclaps. I'll double check when I get a chance.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Listening to it again this morning, I think the 6:15 version is simply a trimmed version, not a true edit. You can even hear the echo from the note before, before the hand clap hits!

I have an incredibly muddy, possibly from vinyl, copy on "Dance Traxx Volume Two" (Atlantic; 7 81746-2). The back cover lists the time as 6:20, but the real time is 6:15.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Gene, I do recall hearing that trimmed intro on a couple CDs. I'm wondering if it might be a mastering error that ended up being duplicated on other CDs. I've heard it before, and it doesn't sound like a logical place for the song to begin. Probably the best description would be (12" version, but missing the first :XX).

Also, there is another thread that talks about the single version. I've long speculated that there aren't any CDs where the song sounds like a tape source. They all sound like vinyl to me. I'd be willing to bet that Atlantic's master tape is that way. In fact, a couple of the noticeable "ticks" can be heard in the exact same places on the vinyl itself.

Jim and Andy posted info in another thread about how this husband and wife duo from Oregon first had a regional hit on Poolside Records. The original Poolside 45 is quite a bit different from the hit Atlantic version. I recall the vocal track sounding the same, but the instrumentation has been remixed. Both versions are equally good.

Edited by aaronk on 12 April 2011 at 1:41pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My 12" copy says 6:15, but it actually runs 6:19 and contains the full intro.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Aaron, I remember hearing about the "all vinyl sources" on this song, but I haven't heard a reasonable explanation for it... as I understand, the couple went into Atlantic and re-recorded the song... didn't they? So what, I wonder, did Atlanta do with their masters?

I think your description of the shorter versions is dead-on. :)

Speaking of the original: I just stumbled across this last night. Very interesting listening!

(Previous link died; song still available at the link below.)

Nu Shooz Music Store - The rare "American Version" of "I Can't Wait," from Tha's Right, released 01 March 1985 on Poolside Records

(Note that the keyboard theme that's so common in the version we know & love today doesn't even exist in the original version... was it Atlantic's idea, or the Dutch DJ who remixed the song & put them in Atlantic's view?)

EDIT: I just listened to the sample on Amazon from the CD "80s Dance Gold." It even lists it as "remastered," but in the sample it is CLEARLY from vinyl... you can hear the spit and slur on the sibilance that's a dead giveaway a tonearm was involved.

How the HECK has this happened to a recording from '86?!?

Edited by NightAire on 25 July 2012 at 8:12am

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

From wikipedia:

Nu Shooz originally released the single "I Can't Wait" in Portland in April 1985 on Poolside Records. The original recording was done at Cascade Recording in Portland in the fall of 1984. "I Can't Wait" was a big hit on Portland radio stations at the time, but they were turned down by every major label. A copy of the song made it to the Netherlands, where it was remixed by Peter Slaghuis. This version is known as the 'Dutch Mix.' The remix came back into the United States as an import on Dutch label Injection Records. It was this version that got the attention of Atlantic Records, which signed the band to a contract in January 1986.

The vocal tracks between the two versions sound identical to me, although the echo and instrumentation is different. This leads me to believe that the Dutch remixer had access to, at the least, the instrumental and acapella vocals. My speculation from there is that Atlantic probably could not obtain the master tapes from the Netherlands, and so they just pulled it from that import 12" to create a new master.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi folks,

Got to wondering about some of the above questions, so i DL'd the original Poolside single (thanks for posting access to that! Very cool to hear it!!)

It was sounding to me like not only are the vocals the same, but most of the instruments as well, so i synchronized the first verse and chorus (too much editing differences to do any more than that.)
Needed some EQ changes, but i can confirm that the remix done in the Netherlands used ALL of the multitracks, just changed the eq on many tracks, and changed around the echo and reverb. The drum, rhythm guitar, some percussion and some horns are the same tracks, just mixed/EQ'd very differently.

Then of course, the "keyboard theme" was added. Sounds like a vocal sample played on a synth (annoyingly popular at that time, wasnt it?)...nevertheless gave the song an obvious hook and that really sold the record.

But just thought i'd share that the instruments indeed are also original. It's amazing how different a mix can be.
If i knew how to post my sample synch file, i would, but have no clue.

Now, as for why some CD's sound like they had to dub the Atlantic mix from vinyl is quite odd, i have no suggestions to explain that. I just listened carefully to CD's pressed in the 80's and i do admit there are some noises in the source that make it sound like vinyl, such as a background rumble in one copy, and ticks in the other. Even though, it would be illogical and unlikely that Atlantic could not acquire a tape source for a purchased or licensed track, that was newly remixed from the multi's, no less!
These can possibly be tape or transfer defects as well.... but i have to admit, also sounds like a disc dub!   It really does!
So, I have no conclusions to offer on that.

MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

MMathews wrote:
Even though, it would be illogical and unlikely
that Atlantic could not acquire a tape source for a purchased or
licensed track, that was newly remixed from the multi's, no less!

Perhaps they were trying to get the song released as quickly as
possible and didn't want to wait for tapes to be shipped?

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Would you believe I emailed them and got a reply back???

Gene-

The original mix of I Can't Wait went through so many (Analog) permutations that it's a miracle it sounds as good as it does. Let me try to retrace it for you.

1.) Original was recorded on 2" 16track, (a particularly robust format by the way) then

2.) mixed to 30ips 1/2" tape, then

3.) transferred to vinyl, then

4.) recorded to 1/2" tape while the remix guy (Pieder Slaghuis) played along to it, then

5.) back to vinyl, then

6.) back to vinyl again.

When I went back and listened to it last year I couldn't believe how murky it was.

That's just how it is, and shows how much our ears have become accustomed to digital clarity in the ensuing years.

Remember, this is 1985 we're talking about.

thanks for your interest

John Smith
Nu Shooz Band

Fascinating, no? Amazing to me that Atlantic didn't go back to the original master tracks, didn't get the remix guy to come in and work with the master tracks, didn't even get the master tape from the remix guy! Seriously... they took their master from his vinyl of Poolside's vinyl?!? Wow...

This makes Tommy James & The Shondells' "Hanky Panky" sound like it was sourced from comparatively early-generation sources! :-)

I'm also a bit in shock nobody's gone back and remastered this; seems like you could take the original 16-track and the remixer's original multi-track, combine them digitally and come up with a really sparkling copy of a still-popular song. (A few years ago Billboard claimed it played somewhere in the world every 11 minutes.)

Why didn't Casey Casem tell me about all this back in the day? ;-)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Fascinating info--thanks so much for sharing with everyone. AWESOME detective work!! Now I can rest assured that my copies on CD are as probably as good as it gets.

NightAire wrote:
Would you believe I emailed them and got a reply back???

Gene-

The original mix of I Can't Wait went through so many (Analog) permutations that it's a miracle it sounds as good as it does. Let me try to retrace it for you.

1.) Original was recorded on 2" 16track, (a particularly robust format by the way) then

2.) mixed to 30ips 1/2" tape, then

3.) transferred to vinyl, then

4.) recorded to 1/2" tape while the remix guy (Pieder Slaghuis) played along to it, then

5.) back to vinyl, then

6.) back to vinyl again.

When I went back and listened to it last year I couldn't believe how murky it was.

That's just how it is, and shows how much our ears have become accustomed to digital clarity in the ensuing years.

Remember, this is 1985 we're talking about.

thanks for your interest

John Smith
Nu Shooz Band

Fascinating, no? Amazing to me that Atlantic didn't go back to the original master tracks, didn't get the remix guy to come in and work with the master tracks, didn't even get the master tape from the remix guy! Seriously... they took their master from his vinyl of Poolside's vinyl?!? Wow...

This makes Tommy James & The Shondells' "Hanky Panky" sound like it was sourced from comparatively early-generation sources! :-)

I'm also a bit in shock nobody's gone back and remastered this; seems like you could take the original 16-track and the remixer's original multi-track, combine them digitally and come up with a really sparkling copy of a still-popular song. (A few years ago Billboard claimed it played somewhere in the world every 11 minutes.)

Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, nice job on taking the initiative to email the aritst! I believe most of John Smith's recollection is probably accurate; however, I don't believe that the remix guy used the full, final mix from vinyl for his source. The echo on the vocals is different between the original and the remix. It has less of a delay on the original, which is something you can't "undo" without going back to the multi-track. And, as MMatthews pointed out, although all of the original instrumentation is there, it is mixed differently.

I now have no doubt, though, that the remix was pressed to vinyl, shipped to the states, dubbed to Atlantic's master tape from vinyl, and then pressed to vinyl again when consumer copies were made.

Edited by aaronk on 14 April 2011 at 8:50am

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

NightAire wrote:

He was too busy grousing about having to read another death dedication. :)

And thirded on the great detective work.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Yes, i concur with Aaron....

I think John added an extra "transfer to vinyl" in his time-line, as it obvious Mr. Slaghuis had access to all of the tracks in the multi, and then of course added his extra production.
To my ears only one vinyl dubbing was used (but that's one too many, of course!)
I've discovered from my own experience that artists don't always remember every detail just is they happened, but that would apply to all of us!
I always like when they take the trouble to answer their fans, even for technical questions. Shows such respect. :-)
At least the copies we have of the song can be cleaned and clarified to sound quite decent for their time.

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

MMathews wrote:
To my ears only one vinyl dubbing was used (but that's one too many, of course!)

I wonder if the song would sound better if it were taken from a nice, clean copy of the Injection Disco 12". After all, that's what Atlantic did. I'd be willing to bet there are people on this board with far better editing equipment (and skills) than what Atlantic had access to in 1986.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

... (duplicate post)

Edited by aaronk on 14 April 2011 at 3:40pm

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm with Aaron! The thing I notice on the 12" is the slurring & sibilance on the vocals; if there would be a way to get a clean copy of the original Dutch 12", & it could be transferred using professional equipment, the resulting digital copy could be a sonic revelation.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just might try it!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 July 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I finally was able to obtain a copy of the Injection 12" which contains both the Dutch Mix and American Mix. To my surprise, the American Mix is not the same as the Poolside 7" version. It is this 5:54 American Mix that was used to create the Dutch Mix.

I can now confirm that no multi-track tapes were used to create the Dutch Mix. The remixer, Peter Slaghuis, simply used the long American Mix, rearranged the parts, and added overdubs. The ticks and sibilance on the import 12" are identical to every copy released by Atlantic.

So, John Smith's recollection above seems to be pretty accurate. After the longer American Mix was relased on vinyl (still trying to confirm where), it was used as the basis of the Dutch Mix.

UPDATE: After emailing with John, it was able to confirm that Atlantic did obtain a tape copy of the Dutch Mix. They did not dub it from the import 12". The vinyl noise is still present, though, because Peter played along with the vinyl when he did his overdubs.

Here is an interesting bit of info direction from the artist:

IT ALL CAME FROM THE SAME TAPE, BUT PIEDER DUBBED IT ON TO 2TR [I'M ASSUMING 1/2"] AND PLAYED OVER THEM LIVE WITH HIS EMULATOR II TO MAKE THE PIECES, THEN RAZOR BLADED THE PIECES TOGETHER TO MAKE HIS REMIX. HE WAS GREAT WITH A RAZOR BLADE. I LEARNED A COUPLE TRICKS FROM HIM, EVEN THOUGH HE BARELY SPOKE ENGLISH. THIS IS WHY THE REMIX IS DULLER THAN THE AMERICAN MIX. BUT THEN, THAT WAS ISSUED ONLY ON CASSETTE, [AND UNMASTERED,] SO WHO KNOWS?
IT'S ALSO THE SAME TAPE THAT ATLANTIC USED TO MAKE THE 12", THOUGH THEY SENT IT TO A MASTERING LAB, (WHICH PROBABLY ADDED SOME OF THE SIBILANCE YOU'RE HEARING.) FOR SOME REASON WE ALWAYS HAD SIBILANCE PROBLEMS WITH VALERIE, MOST NOTABLY ON "SHOULD I SAY YES" WHICH WE HAD TO KEEP SENDING BACK TO THE PRESSING PLANT SIX OR SEVEN TIMES.

Edited by aaronk on 23 July 2012 at 9:06pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version