Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tubular Bells 45 version Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 May 2015 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

Found this on YouTube. THE original single version according to what it says, and what I remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP9bCkmykAs

Edited by Steve Carras on 08 May 2015 at 9:03pm

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2015 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

sriv94 wrote:
Having now heard the 45, I see where Jim is coming from in his analysis. There's a lot wrong with the HAND version. Among the differences (there are definitely others):

A keyboard sequence is repeated at (:18) on the HAND version, while that sequence is removed from the 45.
The HAND version is slightly faster than the 45.
The sequence that begins at (:47) of the HAND version doesn't start until the (1:27) mark of the 45.
The sequence with the guitar over the bells (not the guitar solo) happens twice on the HAND version, and only once on the 45.
The bass keyboard solo following the guitar solo runs about 45 seconds on the HAND version, it only runs about 25 seconds on the 45.
The HAND edit completely botches the ending.
And there's quite a bit of audio on the 45 not on the HAND version (notably the section from (:56) to (1:27)).

As stated, there are (probably) more, but I think we get the idea.

Just looking at all of this, and listening to my mp3 (from SoulSeek) of what says "Have a Nice Day", but the version fits the description of the 45 (the sequence mentioned at 1:27 of HAND (Have a Nice Day) IS at 1:27 of this particular file, no 0:18 keyboard sequence, but in my last post here, I posted a YouTube link that DOES have the right edit, or so it claims, maybe I better email for the right version.....:))

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Steve, I just listened to the video of the "purported" single edit. The editor's
skills aren't nearly as advanced as many of the editors here, and something
does sound "funky" with the audio used on there, but the guy has the basic
edits correct. I saw your comment today on the video, and I think I know
what's confusing you here. You obtained an mp3 from a source that *claims*
it includes the Have A Nice Day CD version. I assure you that is bad
information. It is very risky to believe such claims. If you know what to listen
for, the HAND version and the 1974 45v are not really all that similar.      

I am shooting you out the 45v, so you can finally close the book on this one
for yourself.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

I got it....it actually matches what I had, except the guitar solo starts a bit earlier on my mp3 and just after 2:00 on yours..thanks.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2015 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

It may have taken forty plus years, but per Pat the 45 version of this instrumental is on the recent various artists release Now That's What I Call Halloween.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 December 2016 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

For anyone interested in the non-hit 7:30 promo 45 version, it can be edited from the 25-minute LP version. Here are instructions starting with Virgin 90589 (the only CD in Pat's database with the full 25:28 version):

- Delete 0:00 to 17:04.505.
- With what you have left, copy 0:00.693 to 0:03.456.
- Paste the copied segment onto the beginning of the file.
- With what you have remaining, remove 7:32.5 to the end.
- Fade out from 7:22 to 7:32.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
And complicating matters even further is a promo CD single, Virgin PRCD 3572, with only one track, denoted as "Edit", with a printed and actual time of 3:20. The sound is infinitely more clear than HAND, but it's edited differently - could this be the actual 45 edit? If I had to pick one version, it would be this promo CD single.

As a matter of fact, this promo CD does contain the proper US 7" edit with two differences: 1) The promo CD runs about 1.5% faster, and 2) The promo CD fades slightly later than the 45. I have a theory as to why this is. It's possible there is a lower generation tape that contains the proper 45 edit but without the ending (which is repeated from the intro). The promo CD single has the ending starting just a hair later than the actual US 45, so perhaps a lower source tape was used and then the intro re-attached to the ending to complete the song. This would also explain the later fade.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Also, a Mike Oldfield collector says that the version on Have A Nice Day Vol. 23 is the same edit as found on the 1987 promo CD A Virgin Compilation.

Tom Daly
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2019 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Tom Daly

Didn't anyone notice? The REAL issue with the Rhino CD is that the LP version was simply edited to approximate the edits on the 45, but the 7" single contained dynamic compression, for which there was no need on the LP. Without the compression, you can't possibly have the 45 version, no matter how you edit the album version!
Back to Top View Tom Daly's Profile Search for other posts by Tom Daly

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 March 2019 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

You're right that there is a slight amount of dynamic range compression on the 45, but there are varying degrees of dynamic compression on all kinds of CDs. The most extreme example is brickwalling. Sure, you could make an argument that because more compression was added to one version or another, it's not exactly the same as what may have appeared on the vinyl. Overall, though, the amount of compression added to the "Tubular Bells" 45 is not enough to give it a totally different sound. It's definitely the same mix on both the LP and 45.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2019 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I agree with Aaron. The difference in compression between the 45 and what's available on CD is insignificant here.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version