Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tubular Bells 45 version Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 December 2005 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

According to the databse, the 3:17 version on Super Hits of the 70s Vol 23 is not the 45 version, though it does roughly match the time Whitburn lists. I assume it's the wrong edit???

Anyone know if the 3:18 version on the old 1987 CD Mike Oldfield: A Virgin Compilation, which is not in the database, is the correct 45 version?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

good question.........i don't know, but....i can send you an mp3 of the actual 45 and you can compare them yourself and report back on your findings....

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

That would be great, thanks.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

on it's way in a tick.....do you want a scan of the 45's face???

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

just sent it

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

edtop40 wrote:
on it's way in a tick.....do you want a scan of the 45's face???

That's okay, Ed. And I got it, thanks! I'll report back when I've compared it with the Super Hits version.

Edited by Brian W. on 29 December 2005 at 7:58pm

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the 70's super hits version is NOT the 45 version.........that i know........but check it against your import cd compilation

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2005 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Well, I don't HAVE that OOP CD I mentioned... but I think I may have this on a Reader's Digest comp and maybe one or two others, so I'll see what I can find out.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 December 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

And I would be interested in knowing the differences between the 45 and the Super Hits version, so please incorporate that into your report.

Thanks! :)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Sorry if this has been put to bed and I missed it, but was there a consensus on the "Virgin Compilation " version? A 3:16 version also shows up on "Chilled Spirit: 16 Songs For The Mind Body & Spirit" (Sire). Anybody know about this one?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I have 2 copies of this single, a (presumably) stock copy and a promo. The stock copy has the 3:18 version on one side and a 4:39 version on the other. The promo has the 4:39 version (marked Short Version) on one side and a 7:30 long version on the other. I have not verified that the 4:39 version is the same on both singles, they have different matrix #s.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Wow, Hykker, I was never aware of any 4:39/7:30 promo 45! My mono (deadwax "VR-28231-1")/stereo (deadwax "ST-VR-28231-1") promo 45 (confirmed as Virgin 55100) has the exact same, listed (3:18), actual (3:15) version on both sides, and was the only one I ever heard on the radio back in 1974. Hykker, is your promo 45's catalog # also Virgin 55100? (My promo has "Feb 5 1974" stamped right on it, which some stations would do back in the day, to make a note as to when a promo 45 first arrived in to the station, so they'd know, approx. 8 weeks later, that it was likely a "stiff", and could then throw it out to make room for other, newer promos!) I have looked hard for this 45 version on CD for years. I know the song note-for-note, and I have NEVER found any CD, import or domestic, that includes the exact version that I have just documented. None are even close, actually. Years ago, a trusted friend was able to achieve the correct 45 edit for me from the original, "full side of an LP" version. I remember him saying that the 45 was slowed down (vs. the CD version of the LP I provided him), and that he also said that he had to "re-attach" the beginning of the 45 audio onto the end of the 45 to get the correct version! Hykker, would it be possible for you to shoot out an mp3 dub of both sides of your promo 45, to either Todd Ireland (better at these things than I am) or myself, whenever time allows, for further analysis? I would be forever in your debt. I already own a stock 45, and I am assuming that the (4:39) version you mention will be the same one found on my 45. I will report back my findings. Please PM me if you need e-mail info. And thanks for the very valuable info, Hykker!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Not to complicate this anymore than it already is, but I've got several copies of this song - all black & white labels, presumably promos(VR 55100) and the deadwax numbers are: ST-VR 28231-2, ST-VR 28231-3, and ST-VR 28231-4. I have no idea what, if any, differences there are in these; the 3:16 version of TB is on one side and a 4:39 version is on the flip, just like Hykker's stock copy. Perhaps it's part of the LP version, but it bears no resemblance to the 3:16 version. Each of these has NOW THE ORIGINAL THEME FROM 'THE EXCORCIST' underneath the title of the 3:16 version. None of them has a 7:30 version. Maybe I'm wrong in that the B&W label is a stock copy. Gee - life was so simple before there was music...

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

The promo copy in question has a different catalog #, E.P.-PR-199 similar to what Atlantic-distributed labels use for promo-only releases. A label scan of the short version is TB-short version and one for the long version TB-long version. You'll notice a date stamp of "Dec 9 1973" on the short version...maybe this release pre-dated the release of the movie since there's no reference to The Exorcist on either side of the record.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Hykker wrote:
You'll notice a date stamp of "Dec 9 1973" on the short version...maybe this release pre-dated the release of the movie since there's no reference to The Exorcist on either side of the record.

The movie The Exorcist was released in the U.S. on December 26, 1973.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Hykker was extremely kind to supply me with mp3s of both his short and long "late 1973, from a promo EP, before it ever became 'Theme From The Exorcist' versions of Tubular Bells", for my evaluation. (And Robert, yes, the hit 45 stock copies labels for this song were black and white, which only happened rarely. My hit promo 45's mono side label was white, with the typical, Atlantic/Atco/Associated light blue color being used for the promo 45's stereo side label.) Hykker mentioned that he even sort of preferred this earlier "Tubular Bells" version to the later, hit 45 version. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do also enjoy "New Age" music on occasion, and I found them enjoyable as well. I also concur 100% with Hykker's e-mail assessment to me that his "short version" is simply an edit of his "long version". My determination, however, is that not a single second of audio, from either of these two longer versions, was included on the hit 45. In all honesty, if someone had played me either/both of these two versions, and then asked me to "Name That Tune", the thought of me guessing "Tubular Bells" wouldn't even have crossed my mind, except for the fact that a human voice would occasionally be "instrument-name-dropping", and once he did mention "Tubular Bells". (While listening, I couldn't help but think that these versions were the New Age equivalent of either "Memphis Soul Stew" or "Tighten Up!") My gut is that Hykker's EP is an earlier, entirely different take of the song, because I know the hit 45 can be created from my CD copy of his 1974 LP. But, with "Tubular Bells" taking the entire side of that LP (well over 20:00 long), there is still many "unused hit 45 version" minutes left to utilize, and I will pull/listen to my CD later in the week, searching for any/all of the audio portions included on Hykker's promo.   

Edited by jimct on 03 February 2009 at 12:10am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Did we ever pinpoint what the difference was between the "Super Hits of the 70s" version and the correct 45 version? I have both somewhere, but don't have AB-ing software to try to pinpoint it without bouncing all over the place.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

jimct wrote:
   I couldn't help but think that these versions were the New Age equivalent of either "Memphis Soul Stew" or "Tighten Up!")   

The first thing that came to mind while I was dubbing it for you was the Bonzo Dog Band's "Intro & The Outro".

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Just to answer my own question, "Chilled Spirit: 16 Songs For The Mind Body & Spirit" does not contain the 45 version. It's the same old 3:16 edit that we've been seeing.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've had a chance to listen to the original long promo 45 of "Tubular Bells" running 7:30 (it reminds me a lot of an educational-type record my elementary school music teacher would play for the class to teach us how to identify musical instruments!) and I've concluded that it can almost be re-created from the LP version. I say almost, but more on that in a moment...

As has been established elsewhere, the LP version of "Tubular Bells" runs over 25 minutes long and is subtitled "Part One" (I have Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells album on a Canadian import CD reissue.) The long 7:30 promo 45 is essentially the section from 17:02 to 24:35 on "Part One" of the LP. (The pitch needs to be sped up by approximately :03 to match that of the promo 45.) However, it's not quite possible to accurately replicate the long DJ version from the LP because there is a lingering electric guitar note on the LP at the 17:02 mark that bleeds into the bass guitar notes that follow. These bass notes open the long promo version in standalone form with no electric guitar bleedover.

As Jim pointed out, the short 4:39 promo version appears to be an edit of the 7:30 DJ version. However, the opening bass notes on the short DJ 45 are the same as on the long DJ 45 and therefore cannot be extracted from the LP version.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 10 February 2009 at 12:52pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version