Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 September 2019 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Loveland wrote:
The "Edit" aka "Remixed And Edited" is the single version, but since it was a bomb, how many radio stations played it?. The 1994 single version would be the "Single Remix", which was included on the 1986 vinyl maxi single. I don't think anyone ever played the Album Version, not even New Order themselves.

The 1994/1995 hit version may very well be the "Single Remix," yes, but it's not the single version. Just like you literally hate when people overuse the word "literally," there are many collectors here who specifically collect the "single version" regardless of whether it was the hit version and regardless of whether any radio station played it at all. Single version and hit version are not interchangeable, literally. ;)

Edited by aaronk on 03 September 2019 at 1:16pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2019 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

'Remixed & Re-Edited', aka Canadian Edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43oTvd0l7JY

Edited by Loveland on 19 April 2020 at 1:04pm

Cherchez la femme, pardieu! Cherchez la femme!
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 September 2019 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Loveland wrote:
Your basis for this whole argument is merely that the CD Maxi single included the Album Version as Track 1? We'll have to agree to disagree. That can't be the final say.

The Single Remix of "Blame It On The Rain" is track 2 (the Album Version is track 1) on the promo CD single; in this case the Single Remix is the intended single version, I don't think anyone can dispute that.

It's not an argument; it's the way we do business here on this forum.

The Single Remix of "Blame It On The Rain," is the US single version. It has nothing to do with the promo CD single, though. The reason is because it's the A-side of the US 7" vinyl and cassette single formats.

When someone on the forum asks, "What's the single version of such-and-such song?" what they are asking is, "Which version appeared on the A-side of the commercial 7" vinyl single?"

It has nothing to do with the "hit version."

If we're talking about the era when cassette singles were the main format for singles, the "single version" (for purposes of this board) is the A-side of the cassette single. When discussing the era of CD singles, the official single version is track 1 of the 2-track CD single. If there was no 2-track configuration and only a maxi single was released, the official single version is the lead track on the maxi single.

For your collection purposes, I can understand wanting to label things a different way, but for the forum, the term "single version" means something very specific, and the same goes for the database. If it says "LP version" in the database, it means it's the version that appeared on the actual full-length album. It does not mean the version labeled "LP version" on a single configuration. Most of the time, those are the same, but there are plenty of cases where a single format labels something "Album Version" yet doesn't actually match the full-length album.

Edited by aaronk on 03 September 2019 at 3:15pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2019 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

I never worked in radio; I am just a fan that wishes I did. In my
opinion, stations that were not extremely knowledgeable may
have just played track one off of the promo CD single. Stations
that really knew their music (or had a very good music director)
chose the best version to fit the needs (and audience) of the
station and still followed basic radio rules (i.e. edits or songs
under 5 minutes, single/new mixes, etc.). My local station
(WPST Trenton/Philadelphia) were very good in the mid 1990s.
My guess is they chose the BestOf album version over the
original single version since it was new but still had a retro 80s
feel to it. Plus they may have already played the original single
version back in 1986. Playing the Brotherhood album version
was just not an option at all since it breaks the basic rules.

Aaron, can you list a few examples of single format labels that
had "album version" listed but didn't actual include the version
found on the full-length album?

Thanks!
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 September 2019 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Sure, here are a handful of examples. I'm sure there are many more.

"Shoop" by Salt-N-Pepa is labeled "Album Version," but it's censored on the CD single. The full-length album is uncensored. Also, "None Of Your Business" is labeled "Album Version" on the promo CD single, and again the single is censored while the full-length album is not.

"Take Me There" by Blackstreet & Mya has the "Album Version" on one of the promo CD singles running 5:02, but this version is about a minute longer than what appears on the soundtrack album.

"Steal My Sunshine" by Len has an "Album Version" on the promo CD, but the full-length album doesn't match this version exactly (different intros and endings).

"Pony" by Ginuwine is labeled "Album Version" on the CD single but only runs 4:13, while the full-length album runs 5:24.

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 September 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Very interesting...I just went back and read the LEN thread and
there are just so many variations of that one. Thanks for the list.
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2020 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

I am sorry and a bit hesitant to bump this thread again, but want to add a note that the U.S./Canadian 7" version of "Bizarre Love Triangle" from 1986 is, I believe, able to be re-created from the UK/rest of world 1986 "Single Remix" (issued on the U.S. 1986 12" single and the years-later CD Maxi-Single replica of the 12" single). You have to re-appropriate some sections and edit the absolute hell out of it, but it's doable. In listening closely to some 7" and 12" vinyl rips of the U.S. single edit on YouTube, you can tell the official re-editing job is a bit trash in some spots, so don't dismay if your own edits sound a bit off -- they may match the 45 just fine upon comparison, just like with Madonna's "Lucky Star". No one was really doing a lot of clean and precise digital editing back then, but it makes our ears pick up on imperfections and wack timing a lot more now.

Also, the promo 12" version edit labeled '7" Edit' is just an early fade of the full U.S./Canadian 7" version.

Edited by EternalStatic on 19 April 2020 at 8:05am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2020 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

chendagam wrote:
Very interesting...I just went back and read the LEN thread and
there are just so many variations of that one. Thanks for the list.

Too many variations so much so it makes it complicated to know which version was the one on radio all these years later here in the US. The 3:30, 3:40 and 4 min versions all appear on cd singles making it harder to know which is which. Great song though!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 April 2020 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Eric, good point about the promo 12". I have a copy and meant to post the details, so here they are:

PRO-A-2636
1. 7" Edit (listed & actual 3:23)
2. Extended Edit (listed & actual 4:58)

The 7" Edit is actual an edit of the 7" version and to my knowledge is also not available on CD. If you already have the 45 version edited down, an additional :08 is removed from 2:35 to 2:43. The fadeout is from 3:13 to 3:23 of the audio that is left after making the edit.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2020 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thanks for the clarification on the shorter DJ 7” Edit from the promo 12”
(what a mouthful)— it’s been a long time since I did my edits and I had
forgotten about that extra cut. What’s really great about this song IMO
is that any of these various versions, mixes and edits are still
immensely listenable— there isn’t one that I think just goofs it all up.

Edited by EternalStatic on 21 April 2020 at 5:39am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

edogak2000
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2020 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote edogak2000

aaronk wrote:
Eric, good point about the promo 12". I have a copy and meant to post the details, so here they are:

PRO-A-2636
1. 7" Edit (listed & actual 3:23)
2. Extended Edit (listed & actual 4:58)

The 7" Edit is actual an edit of the 7" version and to my knowledge is also not available on CD. If you already have the 45 version edited down, an additional :08 is removed from 2:35 to 2:43. The fadeout is from 3:13 to 3:23 of the audio that is left after making the edit.

Hello,

I have the following compilation from 1994, and "Bizarre Love Triangle" runs here 3:23 (listed & actual):

https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-Threesome-Music-From-The- Motion-Picture/release/2871665

It seems to be the 7'' Edit.

Regards
Adris

Edited by edogak2000 on 21 April 2020 at 9:43am
Back to Top View edogak2000's Profile Search for other posts by edogak2000

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 April 2020 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the tip, Adris! I believe I have the US version of this soundtrack and will dig it up to see it matches my promo 12".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version