Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: salt-n-pepa "push it" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 December 2005 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the 45 issued as next plateau 315 is listed on the 45's face as the "remix" and runs 4:26...........the database doesn't state that the 4:26 versions are the remix but it does state the 4:18 version as the remix........this might want to be reviewed...

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed:

So is the "Push It" commercial 45 a distinctly different mix than it's LP counterpart? I never realized this.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

how come the database dosen't include the debut cd by salt-n-pepa "hot, cool & vicious" which contains the remix 45 version on it...............DON'T KNOW..........anybody???????

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just curious, I am only familiar with hearing one version of this song---the one that runs (4:26). Was there a non-remixed version that has appeared somewhere?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

That's what I'm wondering too, Aaron.

Anyone know?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Well this poses a real problem because I don't know if there is a vinyl LP that included "Push It". I have the vinyl LP "Hot Cool Vicious" and "Push It" is not included. This song seems to have been added to the cd release of "Hot Cool Vicous" which came out after the vinyl LP but does that qualify whatever version of "Push It" is included on the cd as an LP version?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Hmmm... That's a tough call, Pat. I haven't run across a vinyl LP copy of Hot Cool Vicious that included "Push It" either. If you decide to add the CD version to the database, I would be inclined to make a comment for "Push It" that goes something like: (Song appears only on CD pressings of this album and was not included on vinyl LP pressings.).

Now, have you determined if the version or mix appearing on the Hot Cool Vicious CD is the same or different than the one on the 45?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2005 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I don't have the "Hot, Cool, Vicious" cd as I never paid any attention to that cd based on my knowledge that the vinyl LP didn't contain "Push It". I'll round up a copy and get back to you.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

My vinyl copy of "Hot, Cool, Vicious" does have "Push It (Remix)", listed at 4:26. It also lists "Chick On The Side" as a remix. This is Next Plateau 1007, (c) 1986
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

agreed.....the cd version does indeed contain the 45 version of "push it" although it does state on the cd itself that it IS the remix version, but comparing them, they are the same......

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I guess we can conclude then that no 45 or LP version distinction for "Push It" is necessary. As far as the database is concerned, it might be worth noting that early pressings of the Salt-N-Pepa Hot, Cool, Vicious LP do not contain the song.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 22 December 2005 at 1:30pm

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2005 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Here's what I can recall (I was programmer at WAPE Jacksonville at the time). "Push It" was released on 45 to radio. Much shorter than the 4:26 version.. I think it was 3:30 or something. I don't have a copy of it. It did not have those pitch changes in the instrumental sections, I believe those sections were added to the song. "Push It" was getting airplay on the original release, but then the label released the remix to radio and most stations changed over. I don't remember ever seeing it in it's original state again.

I would think there is a DJ and a stock copy with the shorter length out there somewhere..unless they never issued the original mix on stock. Might have been a 12" before a 45.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 December 2005 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I've seen a (3:30) version on the "Best Of" Salt-N-Pepa import compilation. Perhaps this is the original version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 December 2005 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi People, Merry Christmas!

Just going by my memory (which may not be accurate), the single of "Tramp" was the second single off of the LP 'Hot Cool & Vicious' (the first single was "My Mic Sounds Nice"). (Please keep in mind by 'single' I mean 12" single promoted to clubs & R&B radio).

The B-side of the original "Tramp" 12-inch was what they used to call a 'throwaway' track (also known as a non-LP b-side) entitled "Push It" (the original mix).

All while "Tramp" was getting some R&B play and certainly ethnic-leaning club play, a growing cult of more mainstream-leaning club jocks & rhythmic-leaning top-40 programmers were playing/spiking "Push It"(even during the release of third single "Chick On The Side").

Sensing a home-grown organic HIT, this led Next Plateau to remix/promote "Push It (remix)" to clubs/R&B/Top-40 & a platinum smash was made.

The "Push It (remix)" was replaced on the "Tramp"/"Push It" 12-inch, and I believe that "Push It (remix)" was inserted on later LP pressings while the track was hot.

Please remember this is memory, not necessarily fact!
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

AndrewChouffi wrote:
Hi People, Merry Christmas!

Just going by my memory (which may not be accurate), the single of "Tramp" was the second single off of the LP 'Hot Cool & Vicious' (the first single was "My Mic Sounds Nice"). (Please keep in mind by 'single' I mean 12" single promoted to clubs & R&B radio).

The B-side of the original "Tramp" 12-inch was what they used to call a 'throwaway' track (also known as a non-LP b-side) entitled "Push It" (the original mix).

All while "Tramp" was getting some R&B play and certainly ethnic-leaning club play, a growing cult of more mainstream-leaning club jocks & rhythmic-leaning top-40 programmers were playing/spiking "Push It"(even during the release of third single "Chick On The Side").

Sensing a home-grown organic HIT, this led Next Plateau to remix/promote "Push It (remix)" to clubs/R&B/Top-40 & a platinum smash was made.

The "Push It (remix)" was replaced on the "Tramp"/"Push It" 12-inch, and I believe that "Push It (remix)" was inserted on later LP pressings while the track was hot.

Please remember this is memory, not necessarily fact!

Andrew you are correct on this for the most part, but let me fill in some of the blanks for you.

When Tramp was issued as a 12" single in the fall of 1987 it contained the original unremixed version of "Push It" on the B-side. A club DJ in the San Francisco Bay Area named Cameron Paul did his own remix(distinguished by the slightly cheesy keyboard overdub he put on the top of the track, and added drum machine track) of "Push It" which was already getting heavy play in clubs and on KMEL where Paul hosted a weekend mix show. Next Plateau heard his remix, and liked it so much that they remastered and repressed the 12"(some copies on red vinyl) to include his remix and also included it on the reissue copies of "Hot Cool & Vicious" as well as being issued as a 45. This is the version most people are familiar with, since this is one that was played on most Top 40 pop stations. Me personally I prefer the original unremixed version myself.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Still a little confused.

The common version is the one running 4:26, which appears
on the US 45 and most of the US CD appearances. No
sweat. I can understand that it's a "remix", and I think
"remix" even appeared on the 45.

It appears that the UK 45 may be an edit of the remix. I
have a version running 3:26 on Now That's What I Call
Music 12
, Now 1988 and Smash Hits Party
, and it sounds like the same mix as the common
4:26 version, only with a whole lot of edits that cut out
a minute of the song.

There's an even shorter edit, running 3:12, on the German
2-CD set Mega Dance Party '92. Again, it sounds
like the same mix as the 4:26 "remix".

So I still have never heard the "original mix" - is it a
really obvious mix difference?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

crapfromthepast wrote:

So I still have never heard the "original mix" - is it a
really obvious mix difference?

I heard the original on an old AT40 on XM a few months ago and I was surprised at how stark it sounded. If you're familiar with the remix, lots of the synth lines are missing. This YouTube clip has what seems to be the original 12" b-side. Especially in the last 2 minutes there are a lot of drum spots that feel pretty bare without the synths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY2ybjb7ACA&feature=related

Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

I can confirm that the YouTube clip does feature the original 12" b-side version.

Bill Cahill wrote:
Here's what I can recall (I was programmer at WAPE Jacksonville at the time). "Push It" was released on 45 to radio. Much shorter than the 4:26 version.. I think it was 3:30 or something. I don't have a copy of it. It did not have those pitch changes in the instrumental sections, I believe those sections were added to the song. "Push It" was getting airplay on the original release, but then the label released the remix to radio and most stations changed over. I don't remember ever seeing it in it's original state again.

I would think there is a DJ and a stock copy with the shorter length out there somewhere..unless they never issued the original mix on stock. Might have been a 12" before a 45.

I was an avid listener of WAPE at the time, and I do remember them playing what was essentially an edit of the non-remixed version... thanks for confirming that it was from an actual promo. The version aired replaced the word "pissed" with a bit of laughter from the "Idle Chatter" track on the 12", would be interested to know if that was on the promo 45 or an in-house censor.

Once the Cameron Paul remix began getting widespread airplay, WAPE switched to what I can only assume was an in-house mix that combined elements of the original and remix versions. (Unfortunately I no longer have any of the stuff I taped off the radio during that era, that's one mix that I preferred over the official versions.)
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2021 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Dusting off the mothballs of this thread 9 years later...

Just for clarification the Hot Moves CD version is the correct 45?

Someone in this thread mentioned the 3:30 which is on NOW 12 in the UK. Was that the proper US edit radio played?

Where is Ron when you need a breakdown of a song so you know what the 45 is!

PS Usually when the 45 says "REMIX" there is a reason isn't there?

Edited by PopArchivist on 18 January 2021 at 4:03pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2021 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I saw the bat signal... I'm on my way...

Non-hit original version from B-side of "Tramp" 12 inch single (4:15)

If Next Plateau's numbering order is truly sequential, then Salt-N-Pepa's first four singles were "I'll Take Your Man" (12" Next Plateau NP50043, released 1986), "Beauty And The Beat" (12" Next Plateau NP50053, released 1986), "My Mike Sounds Nice" (12" Next Plateau NP50055, released 1987), (and "Tramp" (12" Next Plateau NP50063, released 1987).

"Push It" first appeared as a non-LP B-side on the "Tramp" 12-inch single, where it had a printed time of 4:09, and an actual run time of 4:15. This version starts with an a cappella "Get up on this" and ends with an a cappella "Ah, push it." It's just vocals and drum machine until 0:53, when the synth line starts.

Th database shows several CDs having a 4:15 "alternate mix". I don't own any of those discs, and I'm not sure if this alternate mix is the non-hit original B-side of "Tramp".

US 45 version (4:28)

San Francisco DJ Cameron Paul remixed the track for his promo-only Mixx-It series. It appears on Mixx-It CP 1-7, Side A, where it has a printed time of 4:26. The track took off from there, getting actual radio airplay.

Next Plateau Records took notice, bought the rights to the remix, and turned it into a real hit.

First, they stuck the remix on the B-side of the "Tramp" 7-inch single (Next Plateau KF315, released 1987). On this 45, the title reads "Push It (Remix)", with a printed time of 4:26, and a credit of "Mixx-it remix by Cameron Paul".

Then, Next Plateau issued the 4:26 remix on a promo 12-inch single (Next Plateau NP50063 DJ, released 1987; same title, printed time and credits as the "Tramp" 45), and its own commercial 7" single (also Next Plateau KF315, but with "Push It (Remix)" on both sides; same title, printed time and credits as the "Tramp" 45).

Next Plateau even tacked it onto later pressings of the Hot Cool And Vicious vinyl LP and all copies of the Hot Cool And Vicious CD.

I don't own the Hot Cool And Vicious CD myself. I do have a Canadian compilation on PolyTel called Hot Sounds (1988), which may possibly use the same analog transfer as Hot Cool And Vicious; can't confirm, though.

The oldest common US CD I have with the song is JCI's Hot Moves (1989), where it sounds just fine. Excellent dynamic range, decent EQ, and no evidence of noise reduction. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Thump's Old School Vol. 2 (1994)
  • Rebound's Funk Classics The '80s (1996)
  • JCI's Only Soul 1985-1989 (1996)
  • Flashback's Whoomp Here It Is Hip Hop Hits (2000)
I also have it on Priority's Rapmasters 14 (1990), which doesn't sounds as good as the JCI mastering.

UK 45 version (3:27)

It's an edit of the US 45 (hit) version, with too many edits to detail here.

I have it on:
  • EMI Virgin PolyGram UK's 2-CD Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 12 (1988)
  • Dover UK's 2-CD Smash Hits Party 88 (1988)
  • EMI Virgin PolyGram UK's 2-CD Now That's What I Call Music 1988 (1993)
I like the Now discs for this version. Your best bet is to get the 1993 set.

I should point out that I couldn't find any evidence of a US promo 45. If there was such a promo 45, I don't know what was on it. So if the 3:27 version got any US airplay in 1987, it was from the UK 45, from a US promo that included the 3:27 version (and I don't know if such a thing exists), or from a homemade edit.

One outlier

The version on Sony Germany's 2-CD Mega Dance Party '92 (1992) runs even shorter at 3:11, by deleting 2:42 to 2:56 (approximately) from the UK 45 version. I don't know where this version initially appeared, or if it was even a sanctioned release in 1987.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 19 January 2021 at 8:15am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version