Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Milli Vanilli - Hits That Shook The World Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 July 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Because of the recent posts about Milli Vanilli's hits, I thought I'd ask about the songs on the promo "Hits That Shook The World." I have this disc, and it has been brought up in other threads that the channels were accidentally swapped on some of the tracks. Ed, or anyone else who can chime in, could you please list which ones have the channels swapped and which ones are okay?

Thanks!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The promo sampler The Hits That Shook The World (Arista ASCD-9930, 1989) has six tracks on it, which are in the reverse order from which they were released in the US as singles. All would be considered the "hit" versions; it's still debatable which version of "Blame It On The Rain" was the hit.

Tracks are:

1. All Or Nothing (3:15 - L/R channels reversed)
2. Blame It On The Rain [Single Version] (4:08 - L/R channels reversed)
3. Blame It On The Rain [Album Version] (4:16 - L/R channels reversed)
4. Girl I'm Gonna Miss You (4:23 - L/R channels reversed)
5. Baby Don't Forget My Number (4:00 - L/R channels reversed)
6. Girl You Know It's True (3:48 - L/R channels OK)

And for the Milli Vanilli completists, here are all my notes from their five hits from 1989-1990. Note that The Hits That Shook The World gives you all the hit versions in one convenient place, but it isn't my first choice for sound quality on any of them. Note also that the Girl You Know It's True CD has at least four different pressings; if the track length is the same between two pressings, then it's digitally identical and (obviously) sounds the same.

Girl You Know It's True

Preferred CD source: Add To Your Fortune/5 Future #1's From Arista (Arista ASCD-9791)

Notes: 45 version on Maximum Milli Vanilli/The Hits That Shook The World sounds quite good, but is just a little bit compressed, but not maximized; 45 can be created from the LP version by keeping 0:14.2-0:25.9, edit at snare, and keeping 0:35.8-4:13.0 (end) of the LP version.

Baby Don't Forget My Number

Preferred CD source: Track 1 ("Single Version") on CD single (Arista ASCD-9833)

Notes: the version on The Hits That Shook The World has L/R channels reversed; after switch L/R, promo CD has samples that line up but don't cancel Hits - off by fraction of a sample?

Girl I'm Gonna Miss You

Preferred CD source: Girl You Know It's True (album; Arista ARCD 8592; matrix no. 11591-4)

Notes: the version on The Hits That Shook The World has L/R channels reversed; after switch L/R, samples line up but don't cancel LP; off by fraction of a sample?

Blame It On The Rain

Preferred CD source: Track 2 ("Single Remix") from promo CD single (Arista ASCD-9904)

Notes: "Single version" from The Hits That Shook The World has samples that may be off by a fraction of a sample and has L/R channel reversed; Note: LP versions on Girl You Know It's True CD and promo CD single have samples that line up but may be off by fraction of a sample, Hits That Shook The World does too but has L/R channels reversed

All Or Nothing

Preferred CD source: Girl You Know It's True (album; Arista ARCD 8592; matrix no. 11591-4)

Notes: the version on The Hits That Shook The World has L/R channels reversed, but is same version but different masterings from Girl LP and All or Nothing LP
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 July 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ron, thanks for all the detailed info! You've also brought up a couple interesting points:

Quote:
...the Girl You Know It's True CD has at least four different pressings...

Only one disc is listed in the database, and it has "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" as being the 3:57 "LP Version." Based on your above post, at least one pressing has the single version.

Quote:
Girl You Know It's True...45 can be created from the LP version

It was brought up in another thread that there are possible mix differences. Did we ever reach a conclusion?

Quote:
...it's still debatable which version of "Blame It On The Rain" was the hit.

I presume there were many radio stations that played the LP version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2018 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Would I be correct in saying the 4:09 version on the "Greatest Hits" collection is the single version plus talk at the beginning and talk at the end... so trim off the beginning and end and you have the single version?

(I have the CD single around here somewhere, but my organization skills are non-existent!)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

NightAire wrote:
Would I be correct in saying the 4:09 version on the "Greatest Hits" collection is the single version plus talk at the beginning and talk at the end... so trim off the beginning and end and you have the single version?

(I have the CD single around here somewhere, but my organization skills are non-existent!)

I'm fairly certain that (99.9% sure), after 1991, neither the Single Version nor the Album Version appear on any of V.A./Milli Vanilli compilations.

In fact, none of the compilations out there include any of the original single versions (either the North American or the international versions).
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version