Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: richard marx "should’ve known better" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 December 2005 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the database states that the richard marx greatest hits cd contains the 3:38 45 version.......my greatest hits cd contains the 4:10 full lp/cd version.......are there 2 versions of this greatest hits cd??

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I have a Dutch pressing of "Greatest Hits" and it also contains the album version of "Should've Known Better". Furthermore, all singles on this compilation are album versions, no 45's as far as I can tell.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

My Greatest Hits CD copy contains the 4:10 version of "Should've Known Better" too. The matrix number along the inner ring of the CD itself is: 724 382191421RE1.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I created the 45 edit from the LP version on Only In The 80's (Big Ear Music EAZ-4003/Cema S21-18606, released 1995; mastered by Steve Hoffman - the very best-mastered version of this song).

The LP version has a length of 4:12.8.

To recreate the 45, keep only the following sections of the LP version:

0:00.0 - 0:13.5
Edit at snare (1-2-3-4)
0:16.3 - 0:19.2
Edit at snare (1-2-3-4)
0:22.0 - 0:25.9
Edit at downbeat (1-2-3-4)
0:31.6 - 2:39.1
Edit at downbeat in long instrumental passage; very audible splice in the 45
2:50.4 - end
Add a 32-beat fade from 3:24-3:36 (if you don't do this manual fade, you'll get about :14 longer than 45 version)

To check, your new 45 version should have edits at 0:13.5, 0:16.3, 0:20.2 and 2:27.7, with a fade (if you add it) starting roughly at 3:24.

The actual 45 run time is about 3:34 or 3:35.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2007 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While my memory may be off on this, I seem to recall specifically picking up the Power Players compilation because the 45 version is slightly remixed. I'm pretty sure the LP cannot be edited to make the 45 because of mix differences.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2007 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The A-side of the 45 does have a "Remixed by ..." credit, but I couldn't hear any differences between the 45 and the CD version.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm in the middle of moving right now, so I don't have access to my 45 & LP copies to give you specifics. At one time, I also tried editing the LP version to match the single, and that was when I realized I would have to buy the compilation with the true 45 version.

To give you an idea, the remix of this one is sort of like the difference between the 45 & LP versions for "I Just Died In Your Arms" by Cutting Crew. Unless you're comparing them closely side-by-side, you might not realize the difference.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as manhattan 50083 states a run time as 3:38 but actually runs 3:36...this info s/b added to the db....

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

The database lists Richard Marx's Should've Known Better as being the 45 version on Gold & Platinum Volume Four (Realm 7826). On my copy of this CD, Should've Known Better appears to be the LP version faded early to match the length of the 45 version. There doesn't appear to be any edits in the introduction or instrumental passage, as outlined by crapfromthepast in an earlier post. Somebody may wish to double check this for me, and if my findings are correct, the database may need updating to reflect this new information.

Thanks.
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

Smokin' TomGary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Smokin' TomGary

There is a UK import CD Maxi Single (CDMT32 20 2372 2) with two versions plus two live versions of different titles. Cut 1 has an actual time of 3:35 and cut 3, listed as Extended Radio Mix, has an actual time of 4:31
Back to Top View Smokin' TomGary's Profile Search for other posts by Smokin' TomGary

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Thanks for the info Smokin' TomGary. I might have to see if I can pick up a copy of the import CD single because I'm not 100% happy with the custom edit I performed using the instructions from an earlier post. The edit at 2:27 doesn't sound right to me, and while crapfromthepast describes it as being 'a very audible splice' on the original 45, I don't have a copy to compare my creation to so I have no idea whether I replicated that particular edit correctly.
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version