Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tom Jones in mono Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 May 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

There are relatively few mono listings in the database of his hits on CD in mono and they are all from the mid 60's.

How late were his 45's in mono? Early seventies?

Any mix issues with the late 60's - early 70's singles only available in stereo?
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:31am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Indy, all of Tom Jones' Hot 100 charting Parrot 45s, up to and including his last one, 1973's "Letter To Lucille", were all released commercially in mono. (Some of these later Parrot 45s, however, had mono/stereo versions included on their promo 45s.) Jones' immediate follow-up 45 to "Letter To Lucille" ("La La La (Just Having You Here)/Love, Love, Love"; Parrot 40078) was also commercially issued only in mono. The first commercially issued stereo 45 I own by Jones was the next Parrot 45, the also non-hit "Keep A-Talkin' 'Bout Love/Somethin' 'Bout You Baby I Like" (Parrot 40080), released around 11/1973. I also have at least one other, later non-hit Tom Jones Parrot stereo 45, 1975's "Mr. Helping Hand/Memories Don't Leave Like People Do" (Parrot 40086). Obviously, Jones' later, "comeback" 1977 hit on Epic/MAM, "Say You'll Stay Until Tomorrow" had all commercial copies issued in stereo. Indy, I'll have to defer comment on possible mono/stereo version mix differences to those on the Board with a better ear than I for such differences.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2010 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote KentT

Tom Jones 45 output on Parrot was mono only on commercial issues until 1973 except for sporadically. London was slow to go Stereo on 45 RPM singles.

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Thanks for the info. Maybe someone can chime in on whether these are fold-downs or mono mixes.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

"DELILAH"

I don't have an original Parrot 40025 stock copy, but I do have the 1968 Parrot 40025 stereo DJ 45 (with "Smile," also in stereo, on the B-side.) I also have a copy of the Parrot great hits reissue 45 (59004) which is mono. Both of these 45s were pressed by Columbia and mastered by Bell Sound.

Surprise! The two 45s feature completely different vocals. The promo 45 matches the version on The Golden Hits CD (London 810192.) The DJ 45 runs 2.472 seconds faster than the mono reissue 45.

The first real giveaway that the vocal takes are different comes at about the 1:03 point, where Tom sings "but I was lost like a slave that no man could free." The word "lost" is sung in a straightforward manner on the mono 45, but on the DJ 45, Tom really emphasizes the word. On the DJ 45, the word "free" is sung "free-uh," but it's just "free" on the mono 45. The same "-uh" difference also appears on the word "laughing" at 1:31.

At 1:37, Tom sings the word "more" for about one second on the mono 45. On the DJ 45, he sings it "mo-oooooo-orrrrrrrr" stretched out over seven seconds, with the latter portion sung on a lower note. Similar differences occur during the later verses.

Edited by Yah Shure on 09 May 2010 at 9:26pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

A simply outstanding pickup by you, John. And thanks for sharing it with us!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

I don't have an original Parrot 40025 stock copy, but I do have the 1968 Parrot 40025 (with "Smile," also in stereo, on the B-side.)

Interesting! The earliest stereo Parrot promo I've seen is TJ's "Daughter Of Darkness" from 1970. My copy of "Delilah", also a promo, is mono.

The earliest stereo promos I've ever come across on a London-distributed label are a couple Deram singles from late 1968.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2010 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
My copy of "Delilah", also a promo, is mono.

Steve, I suspected that there likely were mono DJ 45s as well. When you get a chance, could you please compare your copy? My hunch is that it is the same as my mono reissue 45.

It does seem odd that London was adventurous enough to sneak out the occasional stereo promo 45 as early as March of 1968, while dragging its heels for years in doing so on the commercial side of the aisle.

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

My 45 of "She's A Lady" sounds like a fold down of the Stereo LP. It is Mono and a stock copy.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

Steve, I suspected that there likely were mono DJ 45s as well. When you get a chance, could you please compare your copy? My hunch is that it is the same as my mono reissue 45.

I compared my (mono) promo 45 to my (also mono) reissue 45 and they're the same. I also gave a listen to my vinyl GH LP and the version there was as you described your stereo promo with the somewhat more dramatic chorus.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
with the somewhat more dramatic chorus.

LOL, that's a great way of putting it! Thanks for checking, Steve.

Depending on whichever take was recorded first, someone must have felt that the recording needed either more or less "drama." I can't see that it mattered a whole lot, since TJ's style pretty much defines the word, anyway. And I mean that in a good way.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version