Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: monica "don’t take it personal".. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle of the song "don't take it personal (just one of dem days)" by monica issued as rowdy 35040 lists the album version and runs 4:17 as the first track but also has a radio edit as the second track.......does anyone have a promo or import cd single that contains a radio edit version of this song...if so could they list the details

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ed, we got in two different promo CD singles for this song back in 1995, and here are all the particulars:

-Monica-Don't Take It Personal (Just One Of Dem Days) (RSCD-5040)
1-Radio Edit (listed & actual 4:20)
2-Album Version (listed & actual 4:17)
3-Instrumental (listed & actual 3:58)
4-Acappella (listed & actual 4:40)

My second promo CD single has no info on the disc itself, but it is a silver, fully legitimate Rowdy/Arista production promo, not a CD-R. On the inner ring of this disc, it states "RSCD 2044". On the jewel case, it has a paper, "magazine-style" label/sticker affixed to it, which says "Monica-"Don't Take It Personal" (Mainstream Radio Mix) There is only the one track on this promo. Obviously, there is no listed time, but the actual time is (4:08). I honestly don't remember if we switched over to this version on-air or not back in 1995; I usually affixed Post-It notes to that effect in such cases, but I was no longer keeping up with such things as diligently as I once had by this point.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim, I would be curious to hear the "Mainstream Radio Mix" if you have a chance to send it over. I wonder if it's an actual "mix" difference or if it's just edited.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My plan all along was to also send the "Mainstream" mix over to you as soon as the "Radio Edit" was completed, for you to do just that, my friend. Thanks as always for the analysis!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Interesting! This is what I would call a "remix" for sure. There's a rhythm guitar overdubbed through the whole song. I don't think I've ever heard this version. Thanks for sending, Jim!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim was kind enough to forward me the "radio edit" version from his promo cd single....after looking over the lyrics there are NO questionable words in the song that one would think should be edited, which i confirmed after A/B'ing them.....the song is just slightly altered for the radio edit.....verse and chorus are moved and changed around a little.....why they would do this and call it an "edit" is beyond me.....just a different version for the sake of a different version, i guess....also as noted in the db, the radio edit runs slightly longer than the lp/cd at 4:20 versus 4:17 for the album counterpart.....go figure.........thanks jim!!

Edited by edtop40 on 12 May 2010 at 5:36pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In addition to the 1-track Mainstream Radio Mix, there was an additional remix promo CD. This one also has no printing on the disc itself but does have RSCD-5046 on the inner ring of the CD.

There is a sticker on the front of the jewel case that says "Her #1 Platinum smash featuring four phat remixes by Dallas Austin and Shyboy (w/Biz Markie Rap)!"

Unfortunately, there's no track listing, but the disc appears to contain the same four mixes that appear on one of the import CD singles. Track 1 is the same as the Mainstream Radio Mix from the 1-track promo CD mentioned above. Tracks 2 & 3 are the same remix, which not only has a different backing track from anything I've heard before, but it also has a completely different vocal take and different lyrics. Finally, track 4 contains Biz Markie and is another drastically different remix but retains the original vocal.

1. Mainstream Mix (No Samples) (actual 4:08)
2. Dallas Austin Mix (No Rap) (actual 3:50)
3. Dallas Austin Mix (With Rap) (actual 3:50)
4. Biz Markie / K.O. Mix (actual 5:21)

BSharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote BSharp

I just came across a rip of the 5-track promo CD (RSCD-5040).   The "Radio Edit" (track 2) has brighter-sounding vocals compared to the Album Version (track
3) and runs three seconds longer... the fade at the end begins at about the same time.

Track 1, the Mainstream Radio Version, has the added rhythm guitar.   Back in the day on WFHN/Fun 107, we played cut 2 - the Radio Edit version.
Back to Top View BSharp's Profile Search for other posts by BSharp Visit BSharp's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version