Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Sweet - Love Is Like Oxygen 3:20 short v Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 April 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Does anyone know how to create the 3:20 short version of "Love Is Like Oxygen" from the DJ 45?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

John, when I looked into this 5+ years ago, the determination was, surprisingly, that the (3:20) DJ 45 utilized audio that was not found at all on the stock 45 version, but was instead culled from the LP version. I don't have the exact details, but if you want a 100% digital result, you'll have to track down one of the CDs that Pat specifies as "LP version". FYI, it will not be one of your quicker-to-resolve cases...
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

So, the chorus just isn't repeated at the end? I thought they took the chorus between the first two verses and tacked it on to the musical refrain at the end. Although, there are the two drum rolls right at the end of the guitar section at about 3:13. I don't remember those on the LP.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

OK let's give this a shot. The 3:20 version I believe was only issued in mono. It is on a DJ promo that has the regular single version on one side (also in mono) and this
special shorter edit. Then intent of this edit seems to be to elimiate the second verse and give it more hook. You have to have the LP Version to make the edit.

I'm always referring in the below to the original album version time points, not what happens after you edit it.

You edit from 2:06 on the word DIE, to 5:37 on the word DIE.. at least I think that's the point. It's somewhere in that chorus. This gets you to that orchestrated bit that also
starts the song.

At the point of the final orchestrated "hit" at 5:55 you edit back to that same hit :14. Then let that guitar solo play to about about :24 and edit to the same point right
before the drums at 5:09. That gets you to another chorus.. but you have to repeat this chorus once at 5:26. Right after the drums That gives you three repeats of the chorus to
finish up you edit, (otherwise you'd only have two) and the song fades out right as the third chorus is over (like the single does) which should get you to 3:22.

This edit is ever so slightly faster than the LP version that I pulled from The Best of Sweet 2005 edition.

Good luck!
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Bill Cahill wrote:
The 3:20 version I believe was
only issued in mono. It is on a DJ promo that has the
regular single version on one side (also in mono) and
this
special shorter edit.

Discogs shows a stereo promo for this. I don't have a
copy so I can't confirm stereo content, nor does the
posting show whether the 3:46 version is mono or
stereo.

https://www.discogs.com/search/?
q=promo+45+sweet+oxygen&type=all
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Sure enough is! The 3:20 stereo is next in line with the Promo numbers. Capitol made these numbers if there was something "different" about the release than the
standard release. The Mono Promo has PRO-8792 on the 3:20 Side and PRO 8793 on the 3:46 side. The stereo promo on disclogs show the stereo 3:20 edit to be SPRO
8794. It doesn't show the 3:46 side label, just notes that the B side is that length. I would assume (always dangerous to do so) that the long side is stereo stock
version.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Right after I first asked this question 7 years ago, I
purchased a stereo promo. I never did a recreation so I
kept a clean vinyl dub in my library.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Wow! Here they are "performing" the edit ....lol
(that always kills me)

But sounds like the full single as opposed to the radio edit. Oh well (it's only short since it fades early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9XYaEsfuU0

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version