Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 12" remixes n/a on CD 1980-89 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 October 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
or perhaps a more electronic beat oriented mix

I don't think there's any rule, but that's always been my impression -- that if it's called a "club" mix it generally has more of a pumping "house" beat.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I noticed that a Richard Marx CD single has a bonus cut of "Endless Summer Nights" remix. Has anyone ever heard this remix? Is it dancy? Is it just extended? I only thought there was the single edit and album version of this song.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have that one. No, it's not dancy, but I think it might be extended by a bit, not enough to call it a true "extended" mix, though.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Can you check the length of it? Does it have extra instrumentation? Thanks Brian!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I have a rock mix of "Don't Mean Nothing" on a 12 inch.
I haven't listened to it in years (if ever).
Not sure the differences in that one.
I never knew of an "Endless Summer Nights" mix.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
I noticed that a Richard Marx CD single has a bonus cut of "Endless Summer Nights" remix. Has anyone ever heard this remix? Is it dancy? Is it just extended? I only thought there was the single edit and album version of this song.

Found it! The answer is: No, it's not dancy, and it's actually shorter than the album version. It runs 4:21.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone know if the 12" version of Toni Basil's "Mickey" has come out on CD anywhere?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The 12" of Limahl's Never Ending Story has the "club mix" (6:09) (and possibly a 3:53 remix). As Indy500 pointed out, there's a 5:20 version on several CDs including Kajagoogoo & Limahl The Singles and More. Does anyone know where the 5:20 version originated? Was it a UK 12"? And is the 6:09 12" version on any CD?

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

the original 12" of Mickey is on this CD:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-KOL-12-Inch-Dance-Versions-Bl ue/release/1570189

There were different volumes of this series, blue, pink, red, green and yellow. The only one I see on amazon is the pink version. The discogs listing above has a seller selling the blue for 50 bux, which is pricey, but it is out of print.

the 6:09 version of Limahl is on here:

http://www.amazon.com/MightREAL-Dance-Floor-Retrospective-19 80-1988/dp/B000FSMKLY/ref=pd_sim_m_1

Actually, one of the reviews on there is mine (Daniel W. Kelly), and if you click on my name, it will take you to all my reviews on amazon and I've done reviews for literally dozens of compilations featuring 12" mixes to help out people searching for them on CD.

A couple of my "listmania lists" on amazon also focus solely on 12" compilations:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3VBVES8 IYR5ZJ/ref=cm_pdp_lm_all

And if that seems like too much work, feel free to just send me a message with specific questions about 12" versions on CD. It's kind of my obsession and I can just e-mail you with an answer if I know any compilations that include any particular 12" mixes.

Hope that helps.

Edited by budaniel on 12 November 2010 at 8:09am
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

budaniel wrote:
Actually, one of the reviews on there is mine (Daniel W. Kelly)...

I've read several of your reviews on amazon.com, but I never made the connection that it was you!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Surprise! It's me! heh heh.

I try to focus my reviews on the important and crucial details of the products for collectors rather than playing the praising/bashing games that go on, which I find pointless. The larger internet world simply isn't as pleasant a place to visit as targeted message boards like this one, where everyone is in it to help each other and enrich their knowledge rather than criticizing peoples' personal tastes.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

budaniel wrote:
A couple of my "listmania lists" on amazon also focus solely on 12" compilations:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3VBVES8 IYR5ZJ/ref=cm_pdp_lm_all

Daniel, I tried clicking on this link, but it didn't work.

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

hm--don't know why the listmania url doesn't work. Try my profile page and then just click on the listmania list tab a little further down. Let me know if that works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A3VBVES8IYR5ZJ/ref=cm_c r_dp_pdp

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The mods may be interested in the specific 12" remixes on the database for the band Dead or Alive

YOU SPIN ME AROUND (LIKE A RECORD)(7:12) is the "Performance Mix"

YOU SPIN ME AROUND (LIKE A RECORD)(7:59) is the "Murder Mix" and starts with the broken glass sound.

BRAND NEW LOVER (9:03) is "The Dust Monkey's Love Bubble Mix" and is labeled as such on the Club Epic vol 5 CD

There is a second 12" mix of BRAND NEW LOVER called the "Up Ducky Mix" (6:34) and was just released on Retro:Active 7 on the Hi-Bias label. That CD also has the 12" mix of Wang Chung's LET'S GO which is not available in the states.

Edited by Indy500 on 12 November 2010 at 5:05pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Daniel, your 2nd link works fine! As for the '12 Inch Dance Versions Blue' and 'Dance Floor Respective 1980-1988', do you know if they used tape sources or vinyl sources for "Mickey" and "Never Ending Story"?

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Brian W. wrote:
The Jellybean remix of "Tell Her About It" was on the UK CD single for "I Go To Extremes."

I show the UK CD single as having:
I GO TO EXTREMES
WHEN IN ROME
UPTOWN GIRL
ALL FOR LEYNA

Were there 2 versions of this CD single or is the Jelly Bean remix on another CD single?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I, too, have found that every UK Cd single of "I Go To Extremes" has had the track listing you mentioned (and I've probably come across about 50 in the past 2 years). Odd that not one would have "Tell Her About It", statistically speaking. But Brian W gave the UPC code # for it a couple years ago on another thread here, IIRC. So I guess it exists but it must be extremely rare compared to the other UK CD single of "I Go To Extremes".

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Indy500 wrote:
Brian W. wrote:
The Jellybean remix of "Tell Her About It" was on the UK CD single for "I Go To Extremes."

I show the UK CD single as having:
I GO TO EXTREMES
WHEN IN ROME
UPTOWN GIRL
ALL FOR LEYNA

Were there 2 versions of this CD single or is the Jelly Bean remix on another CD single?

Yes, there were two UK CD singles, one with the catalog number CDJOEL2 and one with the catalog number JOELCD2:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=80420

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=33227

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Thank you. Found a newly listed one on ebay for $14.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I looked on ebay and can't find any CD single of "I Go To Extremes" that contains the "Tell Her About It" remix. I even looked in the "completed auctions" section and can only find 7" vinyl with this version. Can someone include a link to the ebay auction that has this CD single?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version