Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 12" remixes n/a on CD 1980-89 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1841
Posted: 14 November 2017 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting. I just listened all the way through to "We Don't Talk Anymore". On the one hand, I'm hearing tape hiss at the end and no rumble (usually a good sign it's from tape, not vinyl), but on the last "ain't" of "I ain't gotten cheap" I'm hearing a click on one side (if you play the line loudly), which could well be a vinyl pop, though sometimes such a thing can actually be on the tape source.

I'm really curious to see other audiophiles chime in on this one. If it's from tape, I'll probably buy the flac and hope it's really lossless.

Also, when the Cliff Richard CDs were reissued about 10 years ago with so many bonus cuts, this extended 12" version was notably excluded. Being a big hit, I wondered why. Maybe it all boils down to the master tape is lost.

Edited by EdisonLite on 14 November 2017 at 9:03pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1373
Posted: 15 November 2017 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

EdisonLite wrote:
but on the last "ain't" of "I ain't gotten cheap" I'm hearing a click on.


Just FYI, the lyric is "I ain't counting sheep".
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1841
Posted: 15 November 2017 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

That makes more sense!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage
 
Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 29 January 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 348
Posted: 16 November 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

This is a GREAT site for researching and even downloading rare 12" remixes from around the world. Does flawless needledrops.

http://burningtheground.net/

Some rare 7" versions and promos too.

Edited by Indy500 on 16 November 2017 at 3:53pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500
 
Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 29 January 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 348
Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Tell Her About It (Special Version) 5:35 will be released in August on Blank & Jones So80s Vol 12.


Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500
 
Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 October 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1176
Posted: 12 July 2019 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Indy500 wrote:
Tell Her About It (Special Version) 5:35
will be released in August on Blank & Jones So80s Vol 12.


Wow, how did that happen? I thought Billy was pretty
adamant that edits, remixes, single versions, etc. not be
reissued.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker
 
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1841
Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Was that not on the Billy Joel 4-CD or 5-CD boxed sets that came out a few years ago?
Or on some rare Euro maxi-CD single?

Edited by EdisonLite on 26 July 2019 at 12:06pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 811
Posted: 31 July 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Anyone have a concise list of 12 inch singles issued during the 1980's? Just curious.
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: 16 January 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5856
Posted: 06 August 2019 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If someone does have such a list, I doubt it would be concise. It seems
just about every hit from the 1980s made it to a 12" single. Between
promos, stock copies, and imports, there's not much you can't find on a
12" from that decade.

__________________
Aaron Kannowski
Uptown Sound
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 811
Posted: 06 August 2019 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Good to know. Would be an interesting project some day..
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
Gem80s
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 31 October 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Posted: 31 October 2019 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Gem80s

EdisonLite wrote:
Rather than asking people to go down
2/3 of the page on page 1, I'm posting an updated (and
shorter) list of 12" versions I still can't find on CD -
in hopes someone knows of some import CD that has released
any of these extended versions since my earlier post:

Top 40:
Basil, Toni - Mickey (so far, all CDs have used clean
vinyl sources for this)
Branigan, Laura - Solitaire (this came close to being
released on the Gold Legion label that folded before its
release; such a big hit, I'd think it would be on some
import compilation somewhere).
Branigan, Laura - Spanish Eddie
Carnes, Kim - Crazy in the Night
Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything (extended mix, not
"love mix" which is on CD)
Hartman, Dan - Second Nature
Kinks - Come Dancing
Scarlett & Black - You Don't Know

Not Top 40:
Amazulu - Montego Bay
Aswad - Give a Little Love
Manchester, Melissa - Energy
Sister Sledge - Frankie
Wilson, Mari - Just What I Always Wanted

Also, I just discovered on YouTube an extended version of
Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" labeled "extended re-mixed"
(5:18). Does anyone know if this has ever been on vinyl or
CD? It doesn't sound like someone just made a longer edit
- it seems to have other parts.

Also, on YouTube, I found an extended version of Kim
Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes" (6:43) and they show an actual
original cardboard cover for it saying 'Kim Carnes - Bette
Davis Eyes 12" Maxi Single'. But then I researched
discogs.com - it was released - but it's the regular album
version; so I believe someone just made an extended edit
from the album version for this YouTube clip. Has anyone
ever tried duplicating this YouTube extended edit? It's
nice. And considering it was the 2nd biggest hit of an
entire decade (and a song that became part of our pop
culture), it deserves to have a longer version!


Edited by Gem80s on 31 October 2019 at 11:02am
Back to Top View Gem80s's Profile Search for other posts by Gem80s
 
Gem80s
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 31 October 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Posted: 31 October 2019 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Gem80s

There is a few songs on this list that are on European
cds.
Climie Fisher Love Changes Everything
https://www.discogs.com/Various-New-Maxi-Dog-No-
2/release/735794

Kinks - Come Dancing
https://www.discogs.com/The-Kinks-Best-You-Really-Got-
Me/master/1303242

Mari Wilson Just What I Always Wanted 
https://www.discogs.com/Various-12-Inch-Dance-80s-
Synthpop/master/1096536



Back to Top View Gem80s's Profile Search for other posts by Gem80s
 
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: 16 January 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5856
Posted: 31 October 2019 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Great info, and welcome to the forum!

__________________
Aaron Kannowski
Uptown Sound
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage
 
Gem80s
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 31 October 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Posted: 31 October 2019 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Gem80s

Thanks Aaron.As a massive collector of 7 inch and 12 inch
songs on cd I hope I add some useful information to this
great forum.
Back to Top View Gem80s's Profile Search for other posts by Gem80s
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 811
Posted: 01 November 2019 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

For anyone that might be interested I noticed the latest NOW 80's comp that came out here in the US about a week or two ago had a 12 inch mix on it....
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
AudioDile
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 04 November 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Posted: 04 November 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote AudioDile

PopArchivist wrote:
Anyone have a concise list of 12
inch singles issued during the 1980's? Just curious.


Not exactly, but I do have a Google spreadsheet of every
remix I have on any commercial (and some bootleg) CDs.
As I have well over 3000 CDs, it's gotten kind of long.
Back to Top View AudioDile's Profile Search for other posts by AudioDile
 
AudioDile
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 04 November 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Posted: 04 November 2019 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote AudioDile

Hello all! I am new to your forum and remixes of
70's/80s/90s hits is my thing.

It all started in 1983 with the 12" of Peter
Schilling's "Major Tom" and since then I've been a
rabid remix fan.

If anyone is looking for any remix of a popular song
from the late 70s to early 90s, I can probably help.

Of course, as someone else pointed out, discogs.com is
the ultimate resource for finding rare remixes on CDs,
but even then there are a surprising number that have
never been issued or only on impossible to get
bootlegs of wildly varying sound quality.

I've looked for a forum exclusively devoted to
remixes, but for now I hope to be an informative
contributor here!

As mentioned in a reply earlier, I keep a gigantic
Google spreadsheet of all the remixes on any of the
CDs I own. I am considering the merits of opening it
to the people in read only format, depending on
interest.

Also, I am a DJ and enjoy making remixes myself! You
can hear my stuff at www.audiodile.com and also on
SoundCloud.

Cheers, all!
Back to Top View AudioDile's Profile Search for other posts by AudioDile
 
AudioDile
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 04 November 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Posted: 04 November 2019 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote AudioDile

EdisonLite wrote:
Also, when the Cliff Richard CDs
were reissued about 10 years ago with so many bonus
cuts, this extended 12" version was notably excluded.
Being a big hit, I wondered why. Maybe it all boils
down to the master tape is lost.


I too have been unsuccessfully searching for the long
version of We Don't Talk Anymore on CD. There's a
late 80s remix of it by Phil Harding that is available
here, but it lacks the feel and charm of the original:

https://www.discogs.com/Cliff-Richard-We-Dont-Talk-
Anymore/release/6239404
Back to Top View AudioDile's Profile Search for other posts by AudioDile
 
AudioDile
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 04 November 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Posted: 04 November 2019 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote AudioDile

EdisonLite wrote:
Rather than asking people to go
down 2/3 of the page on page 1, I'm posting an updated
(and shorter) list of 12" versions I still can't find
on CD - in hopes someone knows of some import CD that
has released any of these extended versions since my
earlier post:

Top 40:
Basil, Toni - Mickey (so far, all CDs have used clean
vinyl sources for this)
Branigan, Laura - Solitaire (this came close to being
released on the Gold Legion label that folded before
its release; such a big hit, I'd think it would be on
some import compilation somewhere).
Branigan, Laura - Spanish Eddie
Carnes, Kim - Crazy in the Night
Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything (extended mix,
not "love mix" which is on CD)
Hartman, Dan - Second Nature
Kinks - Come Dancing
Scarlett & Black - You Don't Know

Not Top 40:
Amazulu - Montego Bay
Aswad - Give a Little Love
Manchester, Melissa - Energy
Sister Sledge - Frankie
Wilson, Mari - Just What I Always Wanted

Also, I just discovered on YouTube an extended version
of Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" labeled "extended re-
mixed" (5:18). Does anyone know if this has ever been
on vinyl or CD? It doesn't sound like someone just
made a longer edit - it seems to have other parts.

Also, on YouTube, I found an extended version of Kim
Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes" (6:43) and they show an
actual original cardboard cover for it saying 'Kim
Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes 12" Maxi Single'. But then I
researched discogs.com - it was released - but it's
the regular album version; so I believe someone just
made an extended edit from the album version for this
YouTube clip. Has anyone ever tried duplicating this
YouTube extended edit? It's nice. And considering it
was the 2nd biggest hit of an entire decade (and a
song that became part of our pop culture), it deserves
to have a longer version!


Branigan, Laura - Solitaire

To my knowledge there was never any official extended
or remix of this, the ones you see online are fan
made.

Branigan, Laura - Spanish Eddie

Just bought a very rare Hong Kong comp with this on
it:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Maxi-Dance-Legend-
Volume-2/release/14156662

Carnes, Kim - Crazy in the Night

Never released on CD, been looking for this, too.

Hartman, Dan - Second Nature

Only on a bootleg that looks impossible to get:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Best-Of-Gold-80-
Vol-1/release/14002890

Scarlett & Black - You Don't Know

On a Netherlands promo and a comp:

https://www.discogs.com/Scarlett-And-Black-You-Dont-
Know/release/2272471

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Virgin-
Versions/release/1306709

Manchester, Melissa - Energy

This was just recently released on a reissue of
Mathematics:

https://www.discogs.com/Melissa-Manchester-
Mathematics-The-MCA-Years/release/12708123
Back to Top View AudioDile's Profile Search for other posts by AudioDile
 
Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 20 April 2013
Location: Sweden
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Posted: 04 November 2019 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

Indy500 wrote:
YOU SPIN ME AROUND (LIKE A
RECORD)(7:59) is the "Murder Mix" and starts
with the broken glass sound.


Two blades being sharpened, hence the mix's
name.
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland
 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



This page was generated in 0.0640 seconds.