Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 12" remixes n/a on CD 1980-89 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 December 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

EdisonLite wrote:
I looked on ebay and can't find any CD single of "I Go To Extremes" that contains the "Tell Her About It" remix. I even looked in the "completed auctions" section and can only find 7" vinyl with this version. Can someone include a link to the ebay auction that has this CD single?

Ha, I owe you one. After reading your post I rechecked my item and it was a 7" vinyl EP. The seller was nice enough to cancel the bid.

So, when one of these babies pops up on ebay can I expect you to be my bidding nemesis? LOL

Or maybe Columbia will get a clue and throw the remix on something during their Billy Joel catalog update next year and save us BOTH the trouble of trying to find it elsewhere.

Good hunting.

Edited by Indy500 on 02 December 2010 at 6:33pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Indy500 wrote:
Or maybe Columbia will get a clue and throw the remix on something during their Billy Joel catalog update next year and save us BOTH the trouble of trying to find it elsewhere.

I don't think it's Columbia's decision to make. From what I understand, Billy controls his catalog & has the final say on what versions get released.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2014 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

EdisonLite wrote:
Ross, Diana - Chain Reaction - special dance remix 6:52

How many versions of this song are there - is this everything:

Original single/album Mix 3:47 (peaked at #95 in 1986)
Remix 4:18 (peaked at #66 in 1986)
Special Dance Remix 6:52

And more importantly, have the 2nd and 3rd versions ever appeared on any CDs (import or domestic)?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I've been searching for the 4:18 remix for years on CD... never been able to find it. I've only ever seen the LP version and remixes that were done many years later.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2014 at 4:40am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I own that "I Go to Extremes" CD single with the extended mix of "Tell Her About It," Gordon.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I have since gotten the extended remix of "Tell Her About It" but thanks Brian!

Also, regarding "Chain Reaction" - does anyone know if the 4:18 7" remix is simply an edit of the 6:52 special dance remix?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

It's strange--despite the fact that I strive to get single/radio versions on CD whenever possible, I always prefer to have the 12" versions on vinyl. It just seems like that is the format they were meant to be on...no idea why I feel that way, but it sure makes it easier (and cheaper) to collect them.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
Also, regarding "Chain Reaction" - does
anyone know if the 4:18 7" remix is simply an edit of the
6:52 special dance remix?

It sounds to me like it is, but I'll admit I haven't
analyzed them.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Rather than asking people to go down 2/3 of the page on page 1, I'm posting an updated (and shorter) list of 12" versions I still can't find on CD - in hopes someone knows of some import CD that has released any of these extended versions since my earlier post:

Top 40:
Basil, Toni - Mickey (so far, all CDs have used clean vinyl sources for this)
Branigan, Laura - Solitaire (this came close to being released on the Gold Legion label that folded before its release; such a big hit, I'd think it would be on some import compilation somewhere).
Branigan, Laura - Spanish Eddie
Carnes, Kim - Crazy in the Night
Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything (extended mix, not "love mix" which is on CD)
Hartman, Dan - Second Nature
Kinks - Come Dancing
Scarlett & Black - You Don't Know

Not Top 40:
Amazulu - Montego Bay
Aswad - Give a Little Love
Manchester, Melissa - Energy
Sister Sledge - Frankie
Wilson, Mari - Just What I Always Wanted

Also, I just discovered on YouTube an extended version of Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" labeled "extended re-mixed" (5:18). Does anyone know if this has ever been on vinyl or CD? It doesn't sound like someone just made a longer edit - it seems to have other parts.

Also, on YouTube, I found an extended version of Kim Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes" (6:43) and they show an actual original cardboard cover for it saying 'Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes 12" Maxi Single'. But then I researched discogs.com - it was released - but it's the regular album version; so I believe someone just made an extended edit from the album version for this YouTube clip. Has anyone ever tried duplicating this YouTube extended edit? It's nice. And considering it was the 2nd biggest hit of an entire decade (and a song that became part of our pop culture), it deserves to have a longer version!

Edited by EdisonLite on 28 June 2018 at 9:40pm

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The Howard Jones songs are on a disk called "Risk" that was included in a remastered box of 12" Album and Action Replay.

https://www.discogs.com/Howard-Jones-The-12-Album-Action-Rep lay/release/2803232

I bought a numbered limited edition box directly from his website to get "Things Can Only Get Better." Sound is outstanding as everything is directly from the master tapes.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the info.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
Also, I just discovered on YouTube an extended version of Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" labeled "extended re-mixed" (5:18). Does anyone know if this has ever been on vinyl or CD? It doesn't sound like someone just made a longer edit - it seems to have other parts.

If you read the comments of that video, someone points out that it is not a vintage mix. The multi-tracks have been leaked, and the extended version in the YouTube video was apparently made from those tracks. I've never seen or heard an official extended mix, and the very thorough Japanese 12-Inch Collection CDs only include the UK single mix.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks Aaron. I had only read the poster's description, not the comments. Interestingly, while someone says this is from the leaked multi-tracks, someone else says this was on a handful of albums. (Could that be possible?)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Unless someone on this board comes forward with information that it's
an official mix, I would tend to believe that it's a fan-created mix from
the leaked multis. It is well done, though.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I agree, Aaron. As it's not on discogs or amazon, and presumably hasn't shown up on ebay in all these years, it's likely a fan-created mix.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:00am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Gordon, you must not have ever checked Discogs for these, because Indy500 just posted a link to one of them from Discogs, and now I just found another one from your list on Discogs. "The Best" was on two different 1993 CD singles:

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Turner-The-Best/release/1370824

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Turner-The-Best/release/1026465 7

Try searching Discogs for the rest of your list... you may well find them.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I've been going through discogs, including some 90s & 00s songs I didn't include on the list here. Some I do find, but most I don't find there, as they probably don't exist in CD format.

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

"We Don't Talk Anymore" has been made available as a
Digital Download. Unfortunately, it is not available
as lossless.

Curious if anyone can tell if it is from a tape
source?

https://us.7digital.com/artist/cliff-
richard/release/we-dont-talk-anymore-12-mix-2868131?
h=01&f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

After I saw it available via download, i searched to
see if it was on CD anywhere but I never found
anything.
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I see it's also on Tidal as a lossless file for $4.60 (most of their 7" singles are $3, so I suppose for $4.60 for an extended single keeps in line with that). I'm listening to it right now on Spotify (where you can hear the whole song), and I'm not hearing any vinyl artifacts.

The Tidal flac, if this isn't from vinyl, would be the equivalent of buying this on CD - but sometimes their flacs are just converted from mp3's - not Tidal's doing (I don't think) but usually the master owner who sends in a "WAV" converted from an mp3, instead of bothering to send in a true WAV or flac.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 November 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

PS - Mark M - can you listen to this on Spotify and tell if this is from vinyl - or cleaned vinyl? (The more I continue to listen to this on first listen, I'm wondering if this was processed through some vinyl cleaning software. I could be wrong. Interested to hear Mark's and other's reaction to this. Glad the full version is on Spotify for anyone to hear.)

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version