Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 12" remixes n/a on CD 1980-89 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 March 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Thought I'd limit this to only songs in the database and only the 80's. Updates and corrections are encouraged.

Undercover Of The Night - Rolling Stones (6:22 extended mix)

Far From Over - Frank Stallone (5:18 club mix)

Tell Her About It - Billy Joel (5:35 Jellybean remix)

Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder (5:10 Club mix)

Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones (7:26 extended)

Sex As A Weapon - Pat Benatar (6:13 extended)

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel (7:20 extended dance remix)

Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung (6:45 12 Inches of Fun)

Edited by Indy500 on 27 March 2010 at 11:31am
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

What about "Dancing In The Dark", "Born In The USA" & "Cover Me" by Bruce Springsteen? Given his thoughts on remixes, I'd guess these will be vinyl-only.
Was the 12" mix of "Flashdance" ever issued on CD?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

The 12" mix of "Flashdance" was on "The Casablanca Story" box set.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

It's also on the Canadian Unidisc What A Feelin' along with the 12" versions of Breakdance, The Dream and Why Me and the instrumental of Flashdance.

Edited by Indy500 on 27 March 2010 at 8:11pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2010 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The Jellybean remix of "Tell Her About It" was on the UK CD single for "I Go To Extremes."

Also, the extended mix of "Sledgehammer" was released on UK or German CD single for the song back in '86 or '87 (whenever the song was released). I used to own "Sledgehammer," but I don't know if I do anymore... I haven't seen it for a while.

Edited by Brian W. on 28 March 2010 at 11:35am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

There is an extended mix (5:40) which I also have on a French Culture Dance CD but the 7:20 extended dance mix I haven't found.

Thanks for the info on Tell Her About It. All the UK versions I've found on ebay have Uptown Girl instead of Tell Her About It. Are there 2 versions?

Edited by Indy500 on 28 March 2010 at 2:38pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Brian W. wrote:
The Jellybean remix of "Tell Her About It" was on the UK CD single for "I Go To Extremes."

I didn't even know there was a remix of this. Given that it's Jellybean, this makes me wonder - was it real dance-y? Or was it more like the remix of BJ's "Keeping the Faith"?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
Brian W. wrote:

I didn't even know there was a remix of this. Given that it's Jellybean, this makes me wonder - was it real dance-y? Or was it more like the remix of BJ's "Keeping the Faith"?

It's only real dancey because it's an uptempo song. It's not an electronic "club" mix, if that's what you mean.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Indy500 wrote:
There is an extended mix (5:40) which I also have on a French Culture Dance CD but the 7:20 extended dance mix I haven't found.

Of what?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Indy500 wrote:

Thanks for the info on Tell Her About It. All the UK versions I've found on ebay have Uptown Girl instead of Tell Her About It. Are there 2 versions?

Apparently... the one with the extended "Tell Her About It" is a four-track, 5-inch UK CD single in a slimline jewel case with a catalog number of Joel CD2 and a UPC of 5 099765550153.

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

The Jellybean remix of "Tell Her About It" is great (in my opinion). Added lots of energy to the track but defintely not an "electronic club remix" as Brian W. stated. Added a nice beat behind it, extended it, added some echo/reverb to Billy's vocal and added some extra background vocals.

I have a needle drop that I took from a Mint, never been played, copy if anyone is interested in hearing.

I have actually made 6 discs of really hard to get 12"'s from the 80's. Many of the above are included.
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Was there also a remix done for "Uptown Girl" and does anyone know if that's the version on these "I Go To Extreme" UK CD singles that are showing up on ebay?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
Was there also a remix done for "Uptown Girl" and does anyone know if that's the version on these "I Go To Extreme" UK CD singles that are showing up on ebay?

Looking at both Ebay and Discogs, it does not appear there was any extended version of "Uptown Girl." There wasn't even a 12-inch of the single released in the US, and foreign 12-inchers just have the album version.

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Brian W. wrote:
Indy500 wrote:

Of what?

Sledgehammer

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Can anyone tell me if these 12" mixes of top 40 hits are available on any CDs or CD-singles?

Basil, Toni - Mickey (so far, all CDs have used clean vinyl sources for this)
Branigan, Laura - Spanish Eddie
Carnes, Kim - Crazy in the Night
Hartman, Dan - Second Nature
Welch, Bob - Precious Love

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if these 12" versions (of non-top 40 hits) are available on any CDs: (No one's going to be as knowledgeable as you guys!)

Amazulu - Montego Bay
Aswad - Give a Little Love

Note: As people answer my questions, I will remove the songs from this list, and thus make it shorter and a little easier to read for the next reader.

Edited by EdisonLite on 28 September 2020 at 1:29am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

DeBarge - Rhythm of the Night - Japanese compilation
Madonna - Borderline - import cd single
Madonna - La Isla Bonita - extended remix 5:20 - import cd single
Madonna - True Blue - color mix 6:37 & remix/edit 4:22 import cd single & import compilation
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

There were at least two different extended mixes of "Together Forever": the Lover's Leap Mix and the House of Love Mix. Lover's Leap was issued on an OOP Japan CD called "Rick Astley - The 12" Collection," and there is a UK or European CD with that same title that has the House of Love mix on it. Both are listed on the UK store MattsCDSingles.com (an excellent resource, for research if nothing else), but both are listed as out of stock.

I have Taylor Dayne "Tell It To My Heart - House of Hearts Mix" running 8:43 on a UK CD single, but sounds like it's the wrong running time.

A "Lost in Your Eyes" UK CD3 with the Piano and Vocal Mix is available right now on Matt's CD Singles for $15 US (though a better place to look pricewise is usually Amazon.co.uk).

The Campfire Mix of "We Could Be Together" is on my "Electric Youth" CD single, running 5:34. (And is in fact available as a download on iTunes and Amazon.) But I don't know if that's the right version, as you didn't list specific mixes.

The "Dancing on the Ceiling" 12" is readily available on the remaster of the "Dancing on the Ceiling" album:

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Ceiling-Lionel-Richie/dp/B0000 931PJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1287349413&sr=1-1

Another good resource is Discogs.com. You should find most of these listed here, with various versions from around the world, complete with tracklistings.

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Talking Heads - And She Was
might be several sources but I have it on an import called Talking Heads Original 12X12 Remixes

Flirts - Jukebox
I have the 5:26 remix version on Unidisc The Flirts 12 inch Classics on CD

Limahl - Never Ending Story - club mix 6:09
I have a 5:20 12" mix on several CDs including Kajagoogoo&Limahl The Singles and More

Commodores - Night Shift
Best of Motown 1980s vol I

Swingout Sister - Break Out
Don't remember how many remixes there were but the "new Rockin' Mix" is on 8os Dance Gold

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for all the help so far, guys. To comment on a few comments:

"The Campfire Mix of "We Could Be Together" is on my "Electric Youth" CD single, running 5:34."

Yes, I have the "Electric Youth" CD album where the Campfire mix appears as well. I'm looking for the "house mix" and "house of trix". I've updated the post to reflect that.

Though I have the timings and names of mixes for most of the songs on the list, I left that info out because I didn't want to clutter the post, especially when I figured there's only one 12" remix. But I'll add info in cases where more than one version seem to come up.

Thanks for the links, Brian, and as for "Together Forever", I'm looking for neither of the 2 mixes you mentioned but one called "extended remix" 7:00 on CD.

Edited by EdisonLite on 17 October 2010 at 9:04pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I have a general question about 12" versions. Sometimes a 12" is listed as a "club mix" and sometimes as an "extended version". Generally speaking, is there a difference in those descriptions, or are they used interchangeably? I'm just wondering if "club mix" means it has lengthy instrumental interludes, or perhaps a more electronic beat oriented mix, than an "extended version" (or "extended remix"). Does anyone know?

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version