Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Enya - Only Time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 March 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not sure which version was released on single, but the version of "Only Time" played on pop radio in 2001 was the remix that has an added drum track. The original version doesn't have any percussion.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Although the song was already in the Top 30 on September 11 - mostly (if not entirely) from airplay of the original version - many radio stations did not start playing the song until after it was used extensively during TV coverage. These stations tended to play the remix. (It's possible the remix didn't even come out until shortly after Sep. 11.)

The remix was issued in the U.S. on a 7-inch single, but I don't believe either version was released in the U.S. on a commercial CD single or cassette single. A CD single containing both versions was released in Canada.

The remix runs (3:13). All database appearances run (3:35-3:37); so it appears these are all the original version.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

Paul C wrote:
I don't believe either version was released in the U.S. on a commercial CD single or cassette single. A CD single containing both versions was released in Canada.

I own Reprise CD single 9 42420-2 with the following track listing (the insert calls it a Maxi-Single, but with only three tracks I beg to differ):

1) Only Time (Remix) (listed 3:13)
2) Oiche Chiun (Silent Night) (Non-Album Track) (listed 3:45)
3) Willows On The Water (Non-Album Track) (listed 3:02)

Actual times are within a second of the listed times. Whitburn shows the same catalog number and track listing, although I don't know exactly when the CD single was released during the chart run (I do know I purchased my copy sometime after 9/11).

Edited by mstgator on 19 March 2010 at 5:17pm
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

mstgator wrote:

I own Reprise CD single 9 42420-2 with the following track listing (the insert calls it a Maxi-Single, but with only three tracks I beg to differ):

Unless there were multiple US Maxi-singles, I'm pretty sure I used to own this one. While the remix was similar to the radio remix, it was not identical, which is why I got rid of the CD. I never got around to picking up the promo with the radio remix I was accustomed to hearing.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Paul C wrote:
Although the song was already in the Top 30 on September 11 - mostly (if not entirely) from airplay of the original version - many radio stations did not start playing the song until after it was used extensively during TV coverage. These stations tended to play the remix. (It's possible the remix didn't even come out until shortly after Sep. 11.)

I have this with a listed time of 3:36 on a Feb. 2001 promo sampler from FMQB (Friday Morning Quarterback...a radio tipsheet), and IIRC we played the song around that timeframe. It was definitely off our playlist (I'm not sure we even kept it on as a recurrent) by 9/11 though we did bring it back briefly afterward.

I have heard a somewhat (for lack of better term) rhythmic/dance-y version of this on another station. Never knew where it came from. I'm assuming this is the remix you're referring to. I don't ever recall hearing that version back in '01. By 9/11 I had already transitioned from programming to engineering & wasn't up on everything that came in anymore, so it's very possible we received it but didn't use it.

Edited by Hykker on 19 March 2010 at 6:23pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

mstgator wrote:

Actual times are within a second of the listed times. Whitburn shows the same catalog number and track listing, although I don't know exactly when the CD single was released during the chart run (I do know I purchased my copy sometime after 9/11).

Thanks for the info. I went back and checked the Hot 100 charts (I previously hadn't checked beyond the week the song peaked), and the first week this CD-single was shown as being available was for the chart dated December 8, 2001 (which makes sense, since the second track is a Christmas song).

On the chart dated September 15, 2001 (which came out on September 7), the song sat at #30. It peaked at #10 in November.

The Canadian CD-single (WEA 2 43105) has the same three tracks as the US single but adds the original version as a fourth track.

995wlol wrote:

While the remix was similar to the radio remix, it was not identical, which is why I got rid of the CD. I never got around to picking up the promo with the radio remix I was accustomed to hearing.

So there was a third version, a "radio remix," different from both the "remix" and the original album version?
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Paul C wrote:

So there was a third version, a "radio remix," different from both the "remix" and the original album version?

Yes, I'm pretty sure there was--it sounded like it came from the same mixing session as the remix version I heard on the radio (same drums), but there were other elements that differed. I wish I could provide more detail, but I ditched that CD single when I realized it wasn't the "right" version.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2010 at 1:43am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys, here is my original promo CD single info:

-Enya-"Only Time" (PRO-CD-100504)
1-Non-described version (listed & actual 3:37)

I also own the commercial CD single that includes the (Remix) as Cut 1, and I can confirm it is not the same as the "mystery remix" version some remember hearing in 2001. We did also get in to the station a 1-track CD-R, with "Enya-Only Time" sloppily handwritten in red Sharpie on the disc's top half, and "Two Tribes Remix" handwritten on the bottom half of it. I believe this is the version many of you are remembering. I will shoot this version out to this thread's originator, AaronK, for his analysis/confirmation.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 March 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just listened to the copy sent by Jim, and it matches my Promo Only CD exactly. PO lists it as "Pop Radio Remix" rather than crediting it as "Two Tribes Remix." Although I don't own the US CD single, I was able to hear that mix on YouTube. It's similar, but not the same as the "Two Tribes Remix," as the above posts point out.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, your recent updates for this song are incomplete. As currently determined, there are 3 different versions for "Only Time":

1) My initial promo CD single (PRO-CD-100504). This promo CD single includes the song's "album version." This single release is not currently referred to in your db.

2) The commercial CD "Remix" single version, for which your current db info is correct.

3) The second, CD-R promo CD single we got in to the station. On this disc, it is stated to be the "Two Tribes Remix". Aaron has recently compared this CD-R mix to a version appearing on a "Promo Only", V/A disc he owns, that was titled by Promo Only as the "Pop Radio Remix". After listening to both versions, Aaron has determined that both my "Two Tribes Remix" and his "Pop Radio Remix" are indeed one and the same. Bottom line: the db currently includes no mention at all of the "Two Tribes Remix" description; only the "Pop Radio Mix" title is listed in the db. I would suggest that you note that this popular, later, airplay-getting mix was known as BOTH the "Two Tribes Remix" (my promo CD-R single) AND the "Pop Radio Remix" (Aaron's V/A disc). Thanks, Pat!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 March 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Before we put this one to rest for good, there is only one other change that will need to be made in the database. We never stated a run time for the "Two Tribes Remix," which actually runs 3:14. The database says that it runs 3:37. To summarize, here are the versions:

LP Version - 3:37
"Remix" from commercial CD single - 3:13
"Two Tribes Remix" aka "Pop Radio Remix" - 3:14

By the way, my Promo Only CD is from July 2001. Since they always produce their discs at the end of the previous month, the "Two Tribes Remix" would likely have been done sometime in June 2001 or prior.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was just listening to this track, and something occurred to me. Paul C says that the official CD single with the similar remix didn't come out until late November, near the end of its chart run on US top 40 radio. Is it possible that the "Two Tribes Mix" was some sort of bootleg remix that started getting passed around to various radio stations? Then, as the song climbed the charts, Reprise made their own "Remix" to mimic as closely as possible the hit remix? Just a theory, but it would explain why 1) the CD single didn't come out until the song had nearly run its course, and 2) why the mixes are slightly different.

For the record, the two remixes have completely different drum tracks, but they are similar to each other.

radiofan16
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 2:09am | IP Logged Quote radiofan16

aaronk wrote:
I was just listening to this track, and something occurred to
me. Paul C says that the official CD single with the similar remix didn't come
out until late November, near the end of its chart run on US top 40 radio. Is it
possible that the "Two Tribes Mix" was some sort of bootleg remix that started
getting passed around to various radio stations? Then, as the song climbed
the charts, Reprise made their own "Remix" to mimic as closely as possible the
hit remix? Just a theory, but it would explain why 1) the CD single didn't come
out until the song had nearly run its course, and 2) why the mixes are slightly
different.

For the record, the two remixes have completely different drum tracks, but
they are similar to each other.

Different remix, same people behind it.

KIIS L.A. DJ Christian B and his musical partner Marc Dold were known as the
Swiss American Federation or S.A.F. They created the unauthorized remix in
April of 2001 and it quickly spread to other radio stations. When it hit Z100 in
June, the record exploded, and Enya, her producer Nicky Ryan, and Reprise
officially approved of the mix. It went for CHR/Top 40 adds on July 7, with a
review in Billboard Mag, but it was never meant to be released as a commercial
single.

Then 9/11 happened and you know the rest. Reprise decided to issue it as a
CD single with proceeds gong to different relief charities, it then that the S.A.F.
redid the remix to make it sound more "professional". But of course, no radio
station bothered to touch it.

Edited by radiofan16 on 22 March 2018 at 2:14am
Back to Top View radiofan16's Profile Search for other posts by radiofan16

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Even though it's not listed in the database, the 'remix'
is available at Amazon as an exclusive.

The Very Best Of Enya (Deluxe) (Amazon Exclusive)

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Interesting back story! Thanks for sharing the info.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version